Say Goodbye to Your Bootlegs!

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Lord Death Man

Re: Say Goodbye to Your Bootlegs!

Post by Lord Death Man »

I will be keeping mine. One does not throw out old friends that have provided grand service just because something newer and better comes along! ;)
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
Batman66

Post by Batman66 »

Nice! can't wait for these on blu ray
antman67

Post by antman67 »

I'll believe it when I see these for sale on Amazon or in a store. IF they do release them, I HOPE they are UNCUT 100% in their entirety. My TVLAND copies are cut sadly and differ from the SciFi version that aired awhile ago.
I'm a fan of Batman 1966 and other Batman movies too
Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

Curiosity question: did the copies of the studio masters have the Dozier narration at the very beginning of Hi Diddle Riddle that seems to be missing from most other versions? I didn't even know that there had been a missing opening narration until someone mentioned it in another thread.
Jaws63

Post by Jaws63 »

OMG! This is great news....I've yet to comment on this official release. I will be one of the first to purchase when it hits the stores.

To Comment on "Gleep"s it's Batman's" last post...I own one of those studio masters copies and it does not have that opening narration in "Hi diddle riddle". I for one will not toss my old copy. One of the things I'm most interested(once I actually own this official copy) is comparing these two sets and seeing exactly what was cut in the studio masters set.

If I'm a betting man, I think the episodes will be 100% intact with the next week (Villain/ess)Bumpers included(even the opening narration in the pilot)...I do question whether or not the in-color card will be in place at the beginning of each episode, and I'm leaning more towards this official release probably won't have them. I'd also like to add that the ABC logo That appears in the beginning of over half the eps in the studio masters are exclusive to only the studio masters set and will also not be included in this official release.
Gleeps, it's Batman

Thanks for the reply, Jaws63. Interesting that the narration isn't there since these copies were supposed to have been taken from the studio masters. Wonder how it turned up on youtube?

I agree with you about the ABC logo not being on the official DVDs. I would imagine they wouldn't include that unless ABC had a hand in putting out the DVDs.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

I honestly believe the narration was added later. If the episodes on the disks are as originally aired hen the narration won't be there.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

clavierankh wrote:I honestly believe the narration was added later. If the episodes on the disks are as originally aired hen the narration won't be there.
Nope. The one that has had it missing is the one that ended up in the most recent syndication for the past twenty odd years. The "Studio Masters" bootlegs that have been circulating for ages were just VHS run offs from the syndication copies that were going out in the late 80's. And virtually every DVD boot I've seen from these master sets is from the very same copy with exact same video flaws in every one.

I have seen at least two "Studio Master" sets in their original VHS form with all their FOX labels and stuff. For " Smack in the Middle" there was a difference between both sets in particular. On one copy, the opening recap DID NOT have any narration and was only the music (Batguitarist would be happy) just like the "Hi Diddle Riddle" that has been out there on the airwaves and bootlegs over the years. This would make ZERO sense for them to air a voiceless recap back in the day. The other copy did have the opening recap narration as it should have had.

Upon reviewing these so called master tapes over the years, I've really come to the conclusion that some intern at FOX had to try and compile the best overall quality syndication tapes from the various source broadcast tapes they had for the new push. The color, quality and sound fluctuates so much that there is no way they were simply ran off from one master source. They didn't bust out the 35mm and do any master transfer. There was no agenda to preserving what was originally aired. They just tried to put together a set that didn't have drop outs or flaws. And apparently when they were running off these copies to give out to the select few, they were not coming off a single "Master" for all of them. And somewhere in than mix of stuff, a "Hi Diddle Riddle" without an opening narration became the norm. I wouldn't be surprised if half of those people who received those original VHS masters probbaly have an opening narration for their "Hi Diddle Riddle."

So was the opening narration for "Hi Diddle Riddle" added later after broadcast? Of course not. They never seemed to go back to ADD anything after it aired. Only paired away over the years. 16mm prints have the narration. I remember the whole "Cheer" and "Hiss" speech vividly from watching the syndication as a kid. So it was there for years. I believe it was there from the first airing because that was the whole pitch to this thing.

My two cents.

Techy note here (former recording engineer coming out): Back in the pre stereo video days, it was very common for series hoping to be aired in different countries and redubbed in different languages to have two channels of audio on the master tapes. One channel of just the music and possible sound effect tracks and the other for the original dialogue. If one patched a feed from one side of a mono output for a mono recording they would only get one or the other. I acquired a German import of the 1966 Captain America cartoon a couple of years ago. One audio was dubbed in mono German and when I switched to the English version, all the music and sound effects were on one speaker and the English dialogue was on the other just like an early Beatle record. They didn't think to mix the two channels to mono as they were meant to for the DVD release. I laughed because I knew what happened. Okay, I'll go put my headphones back on and shut up now...
Jaws63

Post by Jaws63 »

In the case of the Flintstones, there were actually two different intro's to the show. The "Rise and Shine" theme(the lesser common intro) was the Intro used for the first two seasons proceed by the more common "Meet the Flinstones" intro that doesn't appear until season 3...this was the way this show aired in it's very first run. It wasn't until this show went into syndication that the distributers put the "Meet the Flinstones" intro on to those early episodes.

I was about 3yrs old when Batman was in prime time, I'm the wrong person to ask if the narration in the pilot was there or not. I do know that in January 1974 our local channel aired the pilot episode and the narration was there, subsequent airings of the pilot episode there after also had the narration in the pilot AND on different stations around the U.S...the first time I saw this episode without the narration was when Family channel aired it. The point is (I can't personally prove this) it doesn't make sense that the distributer's(in first run syndication) would "Add" something that didn't exist before, my gut instinct tells me the narration was there originally.
Gleeps, it's Batman

It makes perfect sense to me that the narration was there originally. I just really don't remember any details from watching the show in the 70s other than that I knew the second Lesley Gore song was missing.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

I stand corrected by those wiser than me! :)
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

I do not have bootlegs, but I look at this way: back in the early 80s--before all episodes of Star Trek were released to home video, I recorded most from TV reruns. When Paramount finally released the series, it was interesting to compare uncut episodes to the butchered syndicated versions, but in the end, they served a purpose, and eventually landed in the trash can. If I had any of the bootlegs, I would treat them the same way.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Darren Nemeth

Post by Darren Nemeth »

I have the 22+ disc pirated set along with The Green Hornet from the same source. The one that was "the one" to get.

I transferred all original discs to DVD-Rs and my hard drive but my finger will be hovering above the delete key when I see that the new BluRays are out for delivery to my house.

The DVD-Rs are on a spindle and look horrible on my 8 foot wide HD projection screen so I haven't watched the show in months. :p And that repetitive menu music is ANNOYING. :lol: :!:

I will research if DVD-Rs are recyclable. If so, the spindle will promptly go in the bin for recycle day once I have the official set in my hands!!!
Attachments
DSCN0510[1].JPG
Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!
http://batboat.blogspot.com/
misterfreeze17

Post by misterfreeze17 »

I Have the 22 DVD-R Set That Includes the show from studio masters and a bonas disc with special features and the movie...I Don't Think I Will be tossing mine out..Mainly Because of the costom Cover Artwork and the great episode guide and the bonas disc.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Scott said: "On one copy, the opening recap DID NOT have any narration and was only the music (Batguitarist would be happy) just like the "Hi Diddle Riddle" that has been out there on the airwaves and bootlegs over the years."

Yeah, it's cool to have just the music (one of the few pure tracks I have ) still it's "ruined" by applause etc. However, this being said, not having narration for the opening is just annoyingly wrong to watch. :o

John
Music. BAT! Music.