Say Goodbye to Your Bootlegs!

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

AndyFish

Say Goodbye to Your Bootlegs!

Post by AndyFish »

Is there anyone who won't be tossing their bootleg copies out now that the real thing is being released? I'm certain there are a lot of bootleggers who are sad it's being released.

One set I have is from the studio masters and I got it from Lost In Space's Billy Mumy. I believe it's the same set Mark Hammill has. Another set I got from a prominent member here. Although I have nostalgic feelings for these, I'll be tossing them out. Don't need them in six more months.

So my question to you dear fellow Batfans, will you be tossing out your set? Is there anyone who won't buy an official set because they have boots? I'm curious.

And please, no lectures on the evils of bootlegs, DC Comics had a set of bootlegs in the freelancer room for years. Now that's it's officially released though, anyone bootlegging these new sets should face prison time.
JackNapier

Re: Say Goodbye to Your Bootlegs!

Post by JackNapier »

I'll keep my bootleg if the official release doesn't have the villain bumpers at the end of each episode, or if the studio has to cut something because of a rights issue. Otherwise, the boots go in the trash.
High C

Post by High C »

I'll keep mine until I make sure each and every new disc works perfectly. Then, and only then, will I toss them.

But I imagine it will feel quite good to do so! :D
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

With all of the money I paid for mine, I ain't ABOUT to toss them out!
svl

Post by svl »

Oh, I'll be buying the officials for sure, but my present set t'aint going nowhere. It's also a Masters set, and it has a few gems I know the official won't include....
droboogie

Post by droboogie »

Nah, I won't toss mine, mostly because I'm proud of the custom artwork I did for my set!
JWLJN

Post by JWLJN »

I never purchased any, but I'll definitely be keeping my "set" that I taped off of The Family Channel strictly for the commercials and such. It'll become one of those "someday I'll transfer these..." projects.

-J\/\/
cammy85

Post by cammy85 »

Is this discussion even allowed??

Anyways, yes I probably will though I may keep the three special features discs that came with the platinum set. Those screencaps have me excited!!
Lee Kirkham

Post by Lee Kirkham »

As long as the official set is of extremely good quality and has some fun features that will generally satisfy us Batfans, I'll be more than happy to ceremoniously dispose of my current show discs. I received a set from a good friend during a sad time in my life when I really needed a little fun. If anything, my set holds good memories because of whom they came from, not so much the show itself. Thank you, you know who you are.

The set I received is a disc dupe from the studio master set that was presented to Burt (and most other living cast members) back when the late 80's resurgence was going on. A fun set for sure with a few little extras you don't get with broadcast TV. Before that I had VHS copies that I recorded off of f/x cable channel back in the 1990's.

Now if they can get GH an official release, am I right?

As an aside: Does anyone remember a few years ago when Amazon.com got a hold of some of my original artwork for DVD covers? I still think about that and laugh. When they posted the artwork on their site, all these comic and DVD and rumor sites were blowing a gasket thinking there was a release coming. Never meant to cause a stir, but it was nice to know that my work can be mistaken for professional quality. Anyway, if ya wanna see what I'm talking about, looky here:

I find you to be odious, abhorrent and insegrevious.
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

I will toss out my TV Land Canada set, which has served me well this past decade, once I have it confirmed that there isn't a single thing missing from the official release that could still be found in that set. But I am optimistic that this set will be complete and will include even Lesley Gore's other song because Warner's track record of releasing vintage TV shows has been to clear *everything* in regards to music etc. They have never taken a short cut like CBS/Paramount has done in the past and which even Fox did on several releases (most notably "The Fall Guy" and "The Mary Tyler Moore Show") so we shouldn't have to worry on that point or on things like window cameos etc. Now whether the bumpers appear or not is harder to say since Warner hasn't always been perfect on that point but since the TV Land Canada set only has a few of them, that wouldn't be an obstacle to my tossing it!
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

I'll keep my master's copy if the official release doesn't have everything this set did. In fact, I'll have serious thoughts about purchasing a substandard release.
BatBomba

Post by BatBomba »

Expect blu-ray treatment a-la Star Trek TOS, so by bye bootlegs. :D
htbomb

Post by htbomb »

Please toss one of those bootleg sets my way.

Thanks.
bat lugosi

Post by bat lugosi »

While I'll be getting official release hopefully on blu ray, I'll be keeping my set for sentimental reasons, though I'll probably never pop the old set in the player again.
Nick Charles

Post by Nick Charles »

I don't have a boot set as I've always held out for the real thing, so I'm intrigued at the references above to things included on the "master" set that won't be on a commercial release. Would someone please enlighten us as to what those are?