Batgirl's lair and origins

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BatBomba

Re: Batgirl's lair and origins

Post by BatBomba »

In the TV series, it looks like Batgirl is a female counterpart of Robin, not Batman. It makes sense. The only differences are that Batgirl has large funds of her own and can have access to some technology (lair and cycle, the building where she lives in), and she is a more competent detective than the still youthful Robin.
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

Well, aside from the degree that she admits to having, we don't know what she really studied when she was in college aside from it, do we?

As to the source of money, she could have inherited a life insurance policy from her mother, or another type of bequest.
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

Yes, a bequest from a rich relative is an excellent source for superhero activities! I do not think it would be from Batgirl's mother-as we learn in "Marsha's Scheme of Diamonds", Commissioner Gordon is still (happily?) married. In a particularly painful to listen to conversation with Alfred and Chief O'Hara, he worries about how to explain his 'bondage' to Marsha. There are also such 'sign of the times' gems as Alfred stating that 'Women believe what they want to believe" and Commissioner Gordon telling him that's there is a big difference between women and wives :roll: :D .

Of course, this doesn't necessarily mean that his wife is Batgirl's mother-she might be a stepmother due to divorce or death of the birth mother. It does seem rather odd that at Barbara's birthday get-together in the third season, there is only her father, Bruce, Dick, and Chief O'Hara. No mother! It is no doubt due more to budget constraints for the show but still odd.
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
BatBomba

Post by BatBomba »

Lord Death Man wrote: Of course, this doesn't necessarily mean that his wife is Batgirl's mother-she might be a stepmother due to divorce or death of the birth mother. It does seem rather odd that at Barbara's birthday get-together in the third season, there is only her father, Bruce, Dick, and Chief O'Hara. No mother! It is no doubt due more to budget constraints for the show but still odd.
Given these facts, we can assume Gordon re-married, or maybe Barbara's mother died, and some unknown uncle or grandfather (and grandmother) raised her... which would explain why Gordon doesn't know what her daughter is capable of, her skills, her "true self".

There are millions of possible theories behind the Lair and the Batgirl Cycle... It's great fun when you can speculate over your heroes' "secret origins".

By the way, how old she was when she celebrated her birthday in Season 3? I guess Batgirl is 22 years old, at least?
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

She might be older than 22. I think it's implied she has a post graduate degree.

As for Gordon's marital status. It's kind of vague. They mention his wife at least n Marsh Queen of diamond and the Spell of Tut/ Tut's case is shut. In the third season she is not mentioned. In one episode (I'll BE A Mummy's Uncle) Barbara is helping him shop for a house and there is no mention of he mother. The impression is he's a widower.
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

I could easily see Commissioner Gordon being divorced. His poor wife probably worked very hard at cooking, cleaning, planning get togethers, and other ;) things. But when all was said and done, I can picture Commissioner Gordon turning to her and gravely intoning, "Well, dear, that was very nice. But you're no BATMAN!!!!"

If I was writing the '66 Batman comic, I would so go with that. It also would give another reason that Barbara became Batgirl!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
BatBomba

Post by BatBomba »

Lord Death Man wrote:I could easily see Commissioner Gordon being divorced. His poor wife probably worked very hard at cooking, cleaning, planning get togethers, and other ;) things. But when all was said and done, I can picture Commissioner Gordon turning to her and gravely intoning, "Well, dear, that was very nice. But you're no BATMAN!!!!"

If I was writing the '66 Batman comic, I would so go with that. It also would give another reason that Barbara became Batgirl!
Yes, but I don't like the idea Barbara's mother died inbetween Season 2 and Season 3... (because Gordon mentioned his wife in Season 2 or so?)
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

And just to add further mystery, Commissioner Gordon mentions having grandchildren at the Chad and Jeremy concert in a Catwoman episode. So Barbara has a brother or sister (or both)...they may be step-siblings.
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
BatBomba

Post by BatBomba »

Lord Death Man wrote:And just to add further mystery, Commissioner Gordon mentions having grandchildren at the Chad and Jeremy concert in a Catwoman episode. So Barbara has a brother or sister (or both)...they may be step-siblings.
Wow.
BatandGHfan54

Post by BatandGHfan54 »

Batman had his 10th anniversary of debut in the third season, shortly after Batgirl's debut. If she was about 22 at that time she would have been 12 or so, in middle school (or more often called junior high then) at the time Batman began in this time line. LOL, the thought just hit me that this would have been 1957 or 1958, so Batman would have made the scene right along with Elvis!
BatBomba

Post by BatBomba »

BatandGHfan54 wrote:Batman had his 10th anniversary of debut in the third season, shortly after Batgirl's debut. If she was about 22 at that time she would have been 12 or so, in middle school (or more often called junior high then) at the time Batman began in this time line. LOL, the thought just hit me that this would have been 1957 or 1958, so Batman would have made the scene right along with Elvis!
This means Bruce/Batman "adopted" Robin as sidekick in his 7th year of activity. It makes sense.
High C

Post by High C »

Lord Death Man wrote: Having a degree in Asian history (southwest Asia, I think the show says) she probably traveled a lot doing research for her thesis.
FWIW, In Ring Around the Riddler, she says she is a 'student' of southwestern Asiatic history. She doesn't say she has a degree in that field.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
BatBomba

Post by BatBomba »

High C wrote:
Lord Death Man wrote: Having a degree in Asian history (southwest Asia, I think the show says) she probably traveled a lot doing research for her thesis.
FWIW, In Ring Around the Riddler, she says she is a 'student' of southwestern Asiatic history. She doesn't say she has a degree in that field.
Interesting. How does that "translate" in terms of age?