False Face: the creepiest villain

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BatBomba

False Face: the creepiest villain

Post by BatBomba »

I can totally see why they got rid of him and he only appeared on 2 episodes. He was scary as hell and much more interesting than the Penguin. Too bad. I'm sure False Face would have become a big icon in the Batman mythology if given the proper chance to shine. Instead, nobody remembers him.

Wondering if he was disfigured under the plastic mask. Great villain, and surely the creepiest in the 1966 series. Who agrees?
Riddler 66

Re: False Face: the creepiest villain

Post by Riddler 66 »

Absolutely, the subway scene where False Face appears inside the candy machine, THE creepiest moment in the entire series. Really would have liked another False Face face-off. :ugeek: :geek:
The trigger: one of my riddles!
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

FROM WIKI: "Playing off this effect, but against Throne's wishes, the show's producers wrote the onscreen credit as "? as False Face", denying Throne his screen credit. However, at the end credits of "Holy Rat Race", Throne's full name was credited." I think he was a bit peeved?

Also. he was busy with It Takes A Thief.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
High C

Post by High C »

Batguitarist wrote:FROM WIKI: "Playing off this effect, but against Throne's wishes, the show's producers wrote the onscreen credit as "? as False Face", denying Throne his screen credit. However, at the end credits of "Holy Rat Race", Throne's full name was credited." I think he was a bit peeved?

Also. he was busy with It Takes A Thief.
It Takes a Thief didn't premiere until 1968.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

:oops:

Oh ok...my bad

John
Music. BAT! Music.
BatBomba

Post by BatBomba »

I'm glad you agree!
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Well when I was a child I always thought BlackWidow was the creepiest!
Edward Nigma

Post by Edward Nigma »

What's creepy about False Face is that the mask is his "true" face. Even at the end, when Batman has deduced his final disguise, there is no dramatic removal of the False Face mask. It's as if Batman himself accepts what is false as true.
dodgr31

Post by dodgr31 »

False face was a great character and Malachi's episodes were well written. The ? in the credits came about because of a contract dispute where he asked them to remove his name from the credits. Wonderful man in person as well.
BatBomba

Post by BatBomba »

Edward Nigma wrote:What's creepy about False Face is that the mask is his "true" face. Even at the end, when Batman has deduced his final disguise, there is no dramatic removal of the False Face mask. It's as if Batman himself accepts what is false as true.
The comic book universe should pick this villain up and restyle it for a new generation, IMHO.
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

BatBomba wrote:The comic book universe should pick this villain up and restyle it for a new generation, IMHO.
Well, he was the star of Batman '66 #7... :D
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
BatBomba

Post by BatBomba »

Lord Death Man wrote:
BatBomba wrote:The comic book universe should pick this villain up and restyle it for a new generation, IMHO.
Well, he was the star of Batman '66 #7... :D
Wow!
Did they give him some interesting backstory? 8-)
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

Maybe s3 would've been somewhat better if he returned......so many wasted chances that could've been.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

BatBomba wrote:
Edward Nigma wrote:What's creepy about False Face is that the mask is his "true" face. Even at the end, when Batman has deduced his final disguise, there is no dramatic removal of the False Face mask. It's as if Batman himself accepts what is false as true.
The comic book universe should pick this villain up and restyle it for a new generation, IMHO.
There's a Batman villain called Clayface who is far too similar. I've always wondered if FF was based on him. Clayface actually appeared on the show too. Sort of. :)

http://www.arkhamverse.com/news/2013/08 ... tv-series/

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-aTzlBvDRbSQ/U ... bdc091.jpg
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

BatBomba wrote:Wow!
Did they give him some interesting backstory? 8-)

The exact opposite. When Blaze entreats him to reveal at least part of his real name to her, he tells her he has no past, and that he is a question mark. I thought the last part was an amusing nod to the "?" given for the actor's screen credit in the first False Face episode. Virtually all of the stories in the 66 comic series are like the TV show-they go straight to action without giving origins or background. While TV False Face seems to use masks and costuming to achieve his disguises, it seems the comic book version might have supernatural powers like Clayface. He instantly changes from False Face to Bruce Wayne for Blaze, and later masquerades as Blaze, complete with a half exposed large bosom and very curvy figure with a slim waist (so maybe he can change his body shape too). I also enjoyed the comic for the continuity it shows with other stories-False Face is shown picking up a bag of loot the Riddler dropped when being chased by Batman and Robin, and Batman uses some gadgets he says are the result of a recent clash with Mr. Freeze.

The False Face story was actually one of my favorites from the 66 comic series, which started off somewhat slow but has gotten quite good recently. Thankfully they are turning to the made-for-TV villains rather than just sticking to Joker, Penguin, Riddler, and Catwoman. They managed to intoduce Killer Croc into the 66 Batman universe in a very clever way. Obviously the writers are big fans of the show and the artwork has been getting progressively better although they still do things like getting Adam West Batman's eye color wrong-Burt Ward's Robin too I think. I did not find the watercolor artwork in issue 8 to be to my tastes either, but I really enjoyed the False Face story artwork. I wish they would find someone who would do it 'Carmine Infantino' or 'Jim Aparo' style, though, or even the 50's artists who ghosted for Bob Kane.
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!