Current actors/actresses who would make good Bat-villians

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

dell

Current actors/actresses who would make good Bat-villians

Post by dell »

I would like to suggest Lana Parrilla who plays the evil queen on "Once Upon A Time". As either the mayor of Storybrooke or the Evil Queen, she as just as deliciously nasty as season 1 Catwoman.
dell
Riddlersgurl

Re: Current actors/actresses who would make good Bat-villian

Post by Riddlersgurl »

Zoe Saldana as Season 3 Catwoman.

If they could afford it, why not Antonion Banderas as the Joker? If he can play the part of a vampire, a cat in boots, and other roles, he can play the Joker.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Its a costume role, anybody who can fit in the leotards could do this
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

I agree, but being able to ACT is a big plus.

If you put on the tights, and can't act your way out of a paper bag, then the whole thing goes to pot.
dell

Post by dell »

Bob wrote:Its a costume role, anybody who can fit in the leotards could do this
Hmmm... Well, compare the John Astin Ridddler to Frank Gorshin. Personally, I though Mr. Astin was OK, but few would say he filled the role, much less the tights, as well as Mr. Gorshin.
dell
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

He filled them out, but not when it came to acting!

He had to be a good twenty pounds heavier than Frank at that stage of his life; not that he was fat, he was just bulkier, and it didn't really look good in those tights.
marvelbloodhound

Post by marvelbloodhound »

Dear fellow bat-fans,

Let's just phrase it like this in regards to Mr. Astin's portrayal of the "Prince of puzzlers." Awesome Gomez Addams, QUESTIONABLE Riddler. That is, with ALL due respect. Thank you for your time...
Mr. Deathtrap

Post by Mr. Deathtrap »

Citizens,

We would all have preferred Frank Gorshin had guest starred in the anniversary Batman story and I'd add, had he done so, the story would be a fan favorite instead of being regarded as a sort of strange duck.

The fact it, it's a good story with roots in the comics. Astin wisely made different acting choices in his portrayal of the Riddler and, because of Gorshin's brilliance, many fans overlook a fine performance and a good story squeezed in among others that are not as good.

Producers tried to hold a second season story for Gorshin and tried inventing and then using another villain, the Puzzler, who was, I think, typically an enemy of Superman, when their efforts did not work out. The story would have been better with Riddler and best with Gorshin in the role.

Anyway, I think anyone who watches the anniversary Batman story with an open mind will be pleasantly surprised.

Deanna Lund was in it, too, and her character is awesome.

Mr. Deathtrap
Tune in for their exciting conclusion. Same Bat-Time! Same Bat - Channel!
Mr. Deathtrap

Post by Mr. Deathtrap »

Oh, Citizens,

I forgot to return to the topic of the thread and suggest I agree with a suggestion I read hear some time ago about British actor David Tennant being energetic enough to give a Gorshinesque performance as the Riddler.

Mr. Deathtrap
Tune in for their exciting conclusion. Same Bat-Time! Same Bat - Channel!
High C

Post by High C »

I would hark back to two suggestions I made on the old board re Siren.

If I wanted an actual actress/singer, I would go with the still quite beautiful Vanessa Williams.

If I wanted to stick with the template of an English actress, the choice would be Kate Beckinsale, if and when she goes from movies to TV.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
TheTechnoBat

Post by TheTechnoBat »

I think that Bruce Campbell would be perfect for The Archer.
Please follow me on twitter @ JamesPDonahue1 &
TheBatsyTwins
High C

Post by High C »

High C wrote:I would hark back to two suggestions I made on the old board re Siren.

If I wanted an actual actress/singer, I would go with the still quite beautiful Vanessa Williams.

If I wanted to stick with the template of an English actress, the choice would be Kate Beckinsale, if and when she goes from movies to TV.
Sorry to quote myself, but I should have mentioned that Elizabeth Hurley probably would be the contemporary Englishwoman who could best emulate what Joan Collins brought to the role of The Siren, much more so than Beckinsale.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Lee Kirkham

Post by Lee Kirkham »

To piggyback on what High C says -

To get a somewhat similar glimpse of what Liz would look like as Siren...from Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery -

I find you to be odious, abhorrent and insegrevious.
High C

Post by High C »

Lee Kirkham wrote:To piggyback on what High C says -

To get a somewhat similar glimpse of what Liz would look like as Siren...from Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery -

Thanks so much, Lee. That pic definitely 'sells' what I'm talking about.

I probably should add the reason I tend to think Brit first [and not just Englishwomen--Welsh-born Catherine Zeta-Jones also would be a terrific candidate] when it comes to Siren is that, IMO, it's the combination of beauty and command/control of men that makes Siren, and a crisp, authoritative yet feminine British accent helps convey all that.

Although, come to think of it, I believe that same vocal quality sans accent was an underrated factor in what made my favorite American villainess, Julie Newmar, so compelling as Catwoman. I think a modern-day CW needs that dynamic, too.