Commentary for ALL Batman ’66 Episodes May Be in the Works

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Sol

Re: Commentary for ALL Batman ’66 Episodes May Be in the Wor

Post by Sol »

I think you folks have pointed out the limitations of this matter very well. I would suggest a documentary extra to the DVD set that covers the few living individuals who made themselves available for interviewing and their input in the series. Then, depending upon the extent of the recollections of any one or more of these people, perhaps do a commentary track on specific episodes involving those people.
High C

Post by High C »

Sol wrote:I think you folks have pointed out the limitations of this matter very well. I would suggest a documentary extra to the DVD set that covers the few living individuals who made themselves available for interviewing and their input in the series. Then, depending upon the extent of the recollections of any one or more of these people, perhaps do a commentary track on specific episodes involving those people.
Agree totally. Well-summarized.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Edward Nigma

Post by Edward Nigma »

High C wrote:
Sol wrote:I think you folks have pointed out the limitations of this matter very well. I would suggest a documentary extra to the DVD set that covers the few living individuals who made themselves available for interviewing and their input in the series. Then, depending upon the extent of the recollections of any one or more of these people, perhaps do a commentary track on specific episodes involving those people.
Agree totally. Well-summarized.
I agree as well. Commentaries for select episodes would be the best way to go. Joan Collins, for instance, is still sharp as a tack and could probably provide a great commentary track, especially if she did it in conjunction with Adam, Burt and/or Yvonne.
High C

Post by High C »

Edward Nigma wrote: Commentaries for select episodes would be the best way to go. Joan Collins, for instance, is still sharp as a tack and could probably provide a great commentary track, especially if she did it in conjunction with Adam, Burt and/or Yvonne.
I would love to see that, naturally. I would hope Warner would approach Joan. I've been told by someone in the know Joan wasn't approached about granting permission to use her likeness for the Batman '66 comic, which is why we got a generic Siren instead. Sigh.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Mr. Deathtrap

Post by Mr. Deathtrap »

Citizens,

A commentary for every ep of the show would be well worth waiting for. Though, I agree, intros or commentaries on selected eps are more likely. I'd choose the pilot, Catwoman's first season appearance, and the Zodiac trilogy for certain.

Some of the best commentaries I've heard have been put together for the James Bond films. The producers recorded conversations with actors and production folks and had a moderator introduce their comments. Such materials which exist would be fantastic if they could be used. Just a thought.

Mr. Deathtrap
Tune in for their exciting conclusion. Same Bat-Time! Same Bat - Channel!
STEPhonIT

Post by STEPhonIT »

I'll be fine with the set be on dvd, but I hope it's also available on Blu Ray.
jason75

Post by jason75 »

Just have adam west and burt ward do on screen intros for all the first and second season episodes. Then include Yvonne craig for the third season episodes. Keep it no longer than one minute for each episode and do audio commentaries with those three actors and anyone else whose still alive for a had full of episodes for each season. I hope that they include the batman movie with this release. and one more thing. I can do without the abc color logo, but it's got to have the "batman in color" and next week's villain on each of the episodes. They are not complete with out them.
Batman Buddy 2012

Post by Batman Buddy 2012 »

I think what they mean is that WB will have commentary for all 3 seasons?? Hey if the want to do each episode with commentaries that fine too. Can not wait to get the box set this is so AWESOME!!!! :) :)
Edward Nigma

Post by Edward Nigma »

One name I haven't seen mentioned is Dina "Calamity Jan" Merrill. She turned 90 (!) in December and I have no idea what her health is like. But, if she's willing and able, I would love to see her provide a commentary track w/ Barry Dennen (FRED!!!) on the Shame/Calamity Jan episodes from Season 3.
Mr. Deathtrap

Post by Mr. Deathtrap »

Citizens,

I've been pondering adding to my list of eps to which I'd like commentaries, and which are likely to get them. In Season 3 I think we begin with 'Enter Batgirl Exit Penguin".

Mr. Deathtrap
Tune in for their exciting conclusion. Same Bat-Time! Same Bat - Channel!
catwoman-henchman

Post by catwoman-henchman »

Julie hasn't had any contact as yet, but this business has been through so many twists and turns, it may get delayed for months. And months.

Yes, it's a question whether it's better to do some intros for episodes (James Arness did that with "Gunsmoke") or sit around doing commentary tracks for several.

Julie didn't do the commentary bit for the 2-DVD set of "My Living Doll."

There's also a question of what kind of commentary...narrated solo, or discussing the show with an interview. Some producers expect the star to be prepared with solid information. Some want the star to just come in, watch and wing it. This can be pretty funny or embarrassing, as they react to things they forgot about, or act like a member of the studio audience shouting what's going to happen next.