A possible fourth season of Batman.

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BATWINGED HORNET

Re: A possible fourth season of Batman.

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Mr. Comic Book wrote:"Declawed," no. Truer to the source material, yes. Again, the Batman/Catwoman romance is a core piece of the mythology, and has been since the Golden Age (her first appearance in Batman VOL.1 #1 sets up the dynamic to come). And again, it humanizes both characters and makes them more than just stock archetypes. A Catwoman who's just 100% evil isn't really Catwoman; you could swap in any generic female villain and get the same result. The fact that there is that romantic push and pull between them is what makes Catwoman such a meaningful character in the mythos. She's not just a stock villain. She's much more than that.
Yes, but you are talking about the Dozier adaptation of Catwoman, which--like many comic-to-screen interpretations--are not 100% faithful. Newmar's return to the role in season 2 introduced her romantic feelings, but that comic history was not to be found or referred to. Granted, as others observed, she was not as ruthless as seen in S1 (or the movie), but I will say her season 2 debut also served as the introduction of her utter disgust with the ever-bold, ever-opinionated Robin. In that sense, she was not entirely lovesick.
Also, "Selina never appeared on the show"...so who was the character played by Newmar, Meriwether,and Kitt?
She was Catwoman...but not a hardline, trait-for-trait adaptation, so once cannot say she had the same origin, or backstory. Take the 2002 Spider-Man film: Tobey Maguire portrayed Spider-Man, and yes, there's a long history from the comics, but no one would assume all of his comic origins or key character developments "must" be assumed to be shared by the movie version.

The comic version invented his own web-shooters; the movie version had "organic" shooters in his wrists. The comic version did not know Harry or Norman Osborn at the time of his origin; the movie version had a longtime relationship with both since childhood. Like Spider-Man, the filmed version of Catwoman can be Catwoman with the assumption that every background or trait from the comics is not to be found--or necessary.

...unless the producers say they are being a strict or near-strict adaptation.

That was not the case with Dozier's Batman.
Beneath Wayne Manor
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Excellent discussion.Any more suggestions regarding a possible fourth season of Batman?
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

elmrgraham wrote:Excellent discussion.Any more suggestions regarding a possible fourth season of Batman?
The tone would need to be more serious. NBC wanted Batman as a compliment to their Tarzan series, so obviously it would've been in the shows best interest to go back to the pseudo-seriousness of the 1966 pilot. The corny humor in season 3 (and a lot of season 2) made the show unexciting, destroyed Batman's integrity as a character, and basically killed a great show. I like the idea of revolving guest stars. Robin one week, and away at college the next giving Batgirl a chance. It's unrealistic to think 'Batman', with a dwindling fan-base would go back to 2 nights a week, so instead I'd cut the cast to allow Adam West more screen time. I'd cut Chief O'Hara down to a couple of appearances like Aunt Harriet, and keep Alfred at Wayne Manor, like in the films. There were some interesting & creepy things about season 3. Some of the music was a nice change of pace, and there were more night time shots than in season 2. It sometimes had a surreal quality. I'd keep that. I didn't really mind the cheap sets. If the writing & directing were better in season 4, the sets would be less important.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

I agree.I would have Part 1 of a Batman Adventure one week and Part 2 (usually the conclusion) the next week.Also,have new Batman Villains/Villainesses,for example like my two suggestions The Sea Hag and The Thorn,and any others that Bat-Fans may suggest.Also,have The Catwoman,The Joker,The Penguin,and The Riddler as the regular Batman Villains/Villainesses.Any more suggestions fellow Bat-Fans?
Progress Pigment

I liked your idea for 'the sea hag', but there would've been copyright issues in 1969, and maybe even now with 'King Features' which owns Popeye. She could be 'the sea witch' or 'the sea serpent'. I think a piece of dream casting would be Julia Adams, well remembered for 'The Creature from the Black Lagoon' at the time. And she was doing a lot of TV guest-shots in the 60's.

http://cdn.relaxpics.com/show/imgs/a099 ... 0374d0.jpg
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

I was just basing her on the 1966 Batman Topps Card Number 14a titled "Danger In The Depths" with the artwork by Norman Saunders.The name The Sea Hag was used on the back of the card.She would still be a Scuba Diving Villainess.However,The Sea Witch would be okay too.Julia Adams would be another excellent choice to play her.Any more suggestions on a possible fourth season of Batman fellow Bat-Fans?
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

P.S.:However,the hairstylists would have to dye Julia Adams hair blonde for her role as The Sea Hag or The Sea Witch.
Progress Pigment

This pic was in 1967 (Mannix), she's sort of blonde. If it was filmed I'd hope they'd do some real underwater scenes, and not fake it all like in the "flooded bank" John Astin Riddler episode.

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/Actor ... 30-213.jpg
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

I like some of those suggestions for a fourth season; but I'd have kept Robin as a regular and had Batgirl as an occasional special guest star. Aside from the Filmmation, Superfriends, and 70s Batmite cartoons, most iterations of Batman have him without Robin; it would be refreshing to have returned to the Dynamic Duo chemistry from the first two seasons, as well as a Batman who wasn't as stupid and gullible as he'd become by Season 3. You know something's wrong when he needs Robin to warn him about shaking hands with the Joker. The Batman from earlier seasons would've turned that trick around on the clown prince of crime!
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Very Good.Keep the suggestions coming fellow Bat-Fans.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

I agree about the real underwater scenes,Progress Pigment.
Progress Pigment

elmrgraham wrote:I agree about the real underwater scenes,Progress Pigment.
:) I wouldn't expect anything like 'Thunderball', but Adam West was a diving enthusiast, and probably would've loved incorporating his hobby into the series. Considering William Dozier's connection with old time Hollywood, it's possible he might've gotten Ester Williams to play the 'Sea Witch/Hag'. I think she was in her 40's by then & retired, but who know, she might've done it.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/dvdrevie ... VD_012.jpg
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Good possibility.She would have had to have been wily,cunning,beautiful,sexy,and EVIL.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Like I said before,the hairstylists would have had to dye her hair blonde.Any more possible fourth season suggestions for Batman,fellow Bat-Fans?
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

The Scuba Diving action adventures modeled on "Thunderball" would be excellent.