Favorites

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Batman65

Re: Favorites

Post by Batman65 »

Gotta go with the original pilot episode, "I'll just stand at the bar, as I shouldn't wish to attract attention"

Love it!
Golddragon71

Post by Golddragon71 »

The conclusion to King Tut's proclamation via the Sphinx in Tut's Case is Shut..
"This is a promise, this is a pledge....this is a recording!"
cracks me up every time I hear it!
"Someone might be able to substitute for Batman, for a very short time, but no one could ever replace him!"
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

I have always loved this line spoken so proudly by Robin in "Batman Displays His Knowledge":
"I couldn't resist. You were taken in by her (Catwoman), but I'm too young for that sort of thing."
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

Oh my goodness. Favorite scenes? WAY too many to quantify, so I'll go with three that always move me.

1. Every single time it's used, show or film: "Atomic batteries to power. Turbines to speed....Roger. Ready to move out." I NEVER get tired if that scene. Never. The Dynamic Duo, the seriousness, the Batmobile. Just perfect. Perfect, perfect. Those are my heroes. That scene is why I'm here on this board fifty years later.

2. From The Joker Is Wild: The Joker playing baseball in his prison uniform. Romero captures the mental state of The Joker perfectly. He is mentally unbalanced, pure and simple. The scenes where he isn't laughing or smiling - genius. As well as a little unnerving.

3. From Hi Diddle Riddle: Every moment of The Riddler taunting Batman in the hallway at the beginning. Gorshin set the bar out of reach for portraying The Riddler as dangerously unstable. The split-second switches between laughing and pensive are some of the finest moments in the show's history. Again, perfect.

As far as funny scenes go, I've never really had favorites. The silliness and the occasional innuendos are fun too but they aren't what draw me in. There is one scene however where I always get a chuckle and it isn't even supposed to be funny. At least not in the same way as the intentional comedy scenes.

In Surf's Up! Joker's Under; after The Joker has been caught he dismisses the disguised Commissioner Gordon and Chief O'Hara as hodads. I like that's he's culturally current while they're a bit square.

For our younger viewers, hodad was a term back then for people who hung out in the beach/surf culture but didn't actually surf. Sort of a precursor to calling someone a poser, but more specific to the late 1960s beachgoers.
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

When Batman and Robin were coated with margarine, to toast them faster in the sun:

Robin: "Holey Oleo."
Catwoman: "I didn't know you could yodel."

Of course, that banter didn't work in Australia in the 60s, as that brand of cooking oil wasn't sold here, but I got the joke decades later.

The Alvino Ray gun sequence:

BatgirI: "I feel like I'm... getting... flat!"
Cabala: "What a pity..."

My all time favourites are from King Tut:

"When we get to the Royal Oil Boiling Room, be sure to prepare some real boiling Royal Boiling Oil, to boil the Boy Wonder in, royally."

"Curse you, Batman. May you fall down a flight of stairs and break every tooth in your head except one and in that may you have a toothache for the rest of your life which won't be very long!"

"I'm sure you'll be happy to welcome me into your family, I come from good stock. My father was a king, grandfather before him, and so am I."

"My queen is disloyal, the handmaiden is a traitor, and everybody's being mean to me!"
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
Golddragon71

Post by Golddragon71 »

Gordon: Yes Bonnie.
Bonnie: Commissioner? There are a bunch of "Flower-children" out here to see you.
Gordon: Flower-Children?!? alright, Bonnie send them (Batman makes a gesture) WAITAMINUTE Bonnie! hold on. hold a second!
Batman: We'll go out the window, and down the Bat-ropes. Otherwise we'll be mobbed!
O'Hara: Mobbed?!? at Police Headquarters?
Robin: The Flower-Children think we're cool Man! Like we turn them on you know?
Batman: Yes. Please be gentle with your visitors, Commissioner. Although it may not be understood by more "literal" minds, in their own way, they're doing what they can to correct the world's woes with love, and flowers.

I always liked that Batman never scolded Robin for going "Hip" on Chief o'Hara (although you could sorta see he wanted to by the way he was waiting to give his line)
"Someone might be able to substitute for Batman, for a very short time, but no one could ever replace him!"
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

So many, but I'll give Zelda some love because she rarely gets it otherwise.

Chief O’Hara: Glory be! I've got it! It's to pay his income taxes!
Batman: A loyal tax payer stooping to criminal methods??

Commissioner Gordon: A woman?! What is the world coming to?

Zelda: Eivol, Eivol, Eivol - Can I help being a woman?

Eivol: You fools! I am a genius!
Robin: Sure, that's what they all say!
Batman: No, Robin. We have to humor him! WHAT'S THE BIG IDEA, GENIUS?!
- Boy Genius
Golddragon71

Post by Golddragon71 »

Lydia: "The best laid plans of mice and men...." I don't know where it's from, but I know it's true!
Bookworm: Schemes, schemes, schemes! "The best laid schemes! Robert Burns, To a Mouse Stanza Seven! Schemes! But! You are graded C-Minus!
cammy85

Post by cammy85 »

^ What was especially funny is how Bookworm's henchmen shake their heads in unison right after; either due To Lydia's mistake or the things they have to put up from their boss.
Kite Kid

Post by Kite Kid »

From "I'll Be a Mummy's Uncle" ...

Tut to Batgirl (after being conked on the head and reverting to his William Omaha McElroy personality): "Why do you have a purple mask on, lady?"

Cracks me up no matter how often I hear it.
cammy85

Post by cammy85 »

That line was especially funny since as King Tut, he recognized Batgirl in both episodes; even when she had only just appeared in three stories prior. So surely the professor would've recognized. That might explain how he easily become Tut again in the Dr. Cassandra episodes. He was too far gone. Same with in "Batman vs. Two-Face".

OK, enough overanalyzing, haha!!
Kite Kid

Post by Kite Kid »

Another favorite that always gives me a chuckle, from "Ring Around the Riddler":

Commissioner Gordon (after hearing Southwestern Asia's unchallenged champion Mushy Nebuchadnezzar's diet): "He sounds like Southwestern Asia's unchallenged nut."

I'm also quite fond of this silly exchange, from "Catwoman's Dressed to Kill":

Rudi Gernreich: "There is a continuing trend towards mini-dresses, mini-gloves and even mini-shoes."
Catwoman: "Mini-haha."