Before I forget to ask this question about the Batman film.

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Brad Pittiful

Before I forget to ask this question about the Batman film.

Post by Brad Pittiful »

im a novice with batman stuff and im sure you guys know mostly if not everything about our fave crime fighter from the 1966 tv show!

svengoolie is showing batman tonight and during his intros on the film he said something that confused me...remember im a novice compared to you guys

my question is...the film was supposed to be shown before the TV series so people would get to know some stuff about the cast and the villains...so i always thought the first catwoman was julie newmar and then ertha kitt and then lee merriweather...something struck me as weird as lee is in the film but was the last catwoman in the TV show...what going on here?

thanks for helping in advance!
Dr. Shimel

Re: Before I forget to ask this question about the Batman fi

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Actually, Eartha was the last of the three Catwomen. I have to assume Julie was unavailable for the six-week movie shoot from early April to mid May 1966.
Brad Pittiful

Post by Brad Pittiful »

ah thanks for the info...i had a batman episode book but lost it years ago...so im not up on my bat info these days

so julie was the first choice but couldnt do it so they got lee for the movie and then julie was back for the TV show and the replaced by lee and then by eartha...is that how is was?
Jim K, Bat fan

Post by Jim K, Bat fan »

Julie was Catwoman in the first season - she was unavailable to play the role in the Batman movie (which was filmed after the first season) because she was filming a movie (I think it was McKenna's Gold.)

Lee played Catwoman in the Batman movie. Julie returned in the second season, and Eartha took over the role for the third season.

Jim K
Hecate1966

Post by Hecate1966 »

I expect the answer to this is on the old board somewhere but I can't find it: why didn't Lee wear the cat-necklace?
Brad Pittiful

Post by Brad Pittiful »

Jim K, Bat fan wrote:Julie was Catwoman in the first season - she was unavailable to play the role in the Batman movie (which was filmed after the first season) because she was filming a movie (I think it was McKenna's Gold.)

Lee played Catwoman in the Batman movie. Julie returned in the second season, and Eartha took over the role for the third season.

Jim K
more good info...thanks a lot!
hobbybuilder01

Post by hobbybuilder01 »

The Movie was supposed to come first to sell the series but they picked up the series earlier so the first season was finished first,and shot right after the season finished. Lee was catwoman because Julie was filming McKenna's gold at the time and not available.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

My understanding is along similar lines to what Leon said....

After the popularity of the first season and hype surrounding Bat-Mania in the US, the movie was seen as a valuable priority in order to sell the series abroad in Europe and then then rest of the world.