From Riddler to Clay face

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Jaws63

From Riddler to Clay face

Post by Jaws63 »

Just recently I purchased "The new adventures of Batman". This was the short lived CBS cartoon that aired in the late 70's on their Saturday morning line-up. After watching all 16 episodes of the series(it was fun watching these again), I noticed that in the intro they show the Riddler, but their was no Riddler episode. In this Bat-universe Clay-face was the Riddler trade off, the four main Baddies were Joker, Penguin, Catwoman and (like i Said) Clay -face. One really weird parallel to our beloved 66series is that Clay-face does appear in the animated intro to Batman66, but does not appear in any of the episodes.

Strange isn't it?
Hecate1966

Re: From Riddler to Clay face

Post by Hecate1966 »

I seem to recall that Clayface wasn't in the '66 series as the character was thought too scary for small kids but I might be mistaken on that...
Shemp

Post by Shemp »

Hecate1966 wrote:I seem to recall that Clayface wasn't in the '66 series as the character was thought too scary for small kids but I might be mistaken on that...
That was the disfigured Two-Face, who was absent from the comics since the introduction of the Comics Code Authority in 1954, until his reintroduction by Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams in 1971...

In the time preceeding the TV series, the most recent Clayface of the early '60s (there were several Clayface characters over the years) was a sci-fi/fantasy villain.
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

The image isn't showing up.
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Riddlersgurl wrote:The image isn't showing up.
Not showing up here, either.
Mr. Deathtrap

Post by Mr. Deathtrap »

Citizens,

The Riddler in the cartoon opening featuring Adam and Burt's voices was from the previous Filmation cartoon, in which the character was used. That set of episodes was filmed before the crackdown on comic book violence and featured fights and more closely followed the format of the live action show.

Mr. Deathtrap
Tune in for their exciting conclusion. Same Bat-Time! Same Bat - Channel!
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Filmation's 1977 Saturday morning series was definitely more goofy (or annoying if you consider Bat-Mite). I still like to watch it as the music was a Filmation staple you heard in other series that very same morning such as Tarzan or Shazam from Kaptain Kool and the Kongs' Krofft Super Show. My favorite is the relaxation music with the horns and piano that usually backed up scenes of Bruce and Dick at the manor before they're called into action. Pure '77 heaven! It amazes me how music can instantly transport me back to better times - even if it's just for a few minutes.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Catfan

Post by Catfan »

These shows were likely filmed with an eye to how much the producers could cut costs, which might explain something regarding The Riddler being in the intro, but not in the series. Yes, there was a crackdown on violence in Saturday morning cartoons around 1969, which would explain the tone of the 1977 series. That said, I liked the Catwoman in this series; Melendy Brett voiced her.
Vgmastr

Post by Vgmastr »

The reason the Riddler, as well as the Scarecrow, didn't appear in the series was because they were being used in the Challenge of the Superfriends as members of the Legion of Doom.