Possible SPOILERS! Batman '66 comic!

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Mr. Deathtrap

Possible SPOILERS! Batman '66 comic!

Post by Mr. Deathtrap »

Citizens,

I picked up issue 12 of the BATMAN '66 comic and read the stories featuring the Queen of Diamonds and the Minstrel. I enjoyed the Queen of Diamonds story very much. It was a tightly written Bat tale and included many of the elements we enjoyed in the show. Once again, it was ambitious, perhaps doing more than television budgets would have allowed. Two differences. The Queen of Diamonds henchmen ane called "knaves" instead of "guardians" and Aunt Hilda was much more involved in her nieces' scheme here and not used almost exclusively for comedy.

The Minstrel's gang from the show is back and induce the Dynamic Duo to wear retro costumes. Unnecessarily in my opinion. Still, the short story is okay.

Keep 'em coming.

Mr. Deathtrap
Tune in for their exciting conclusion. Same Bat-Time! Same Bat - Channel!
Jim Akin

Re: Possible SPOILERS! Batman '66 comic!

Post by Jim Akin »

I love this series, and that DC is embracing "our" Batman at last. Cross-marketing isn't always a bad thing. ;)
BM_66_Cv12.jpg
BM_66_Cv12.jpg (20.51 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
This may be a whiny thing to mention, but it bugs me that the cover art for issue 12 shows twin jet-flames behind the Batmobile, when we all know there's just a single jet exhaust. Is that explained in the story (or a previous issue I missed), or just an artistic goof?

Cheers,

QQ
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

That's well spotted. It bothers me too. I'd like it if the artist knew more about the show.
High C

Post by High C »

Hope everyone is wearing their Bat-depends! :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. :P
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
weirdkorey

Post by weirdkorey »

I'm kinda confused as to why they couldnt have just taken alfred's service elevator to the Batcave & used the spare costumes we saw in the King Tut episodes that were on the dummies. Oh well guess really it was just an excuse to use the retro combination of the movie serial costume on robin & the screen test batman costume, which i guess is ok. lol
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

weirdkorey wrote:I'm kinda confused as to why they could't have just taken alfred's service elevator to the Batcave & used the spare costumes we saw in the King Tut episodes that were on the dummies. Oh well guess really it was just an excuse to use the retro combination of the movie serial costume on robin & the screen test batman costume, which i guess is ok. lol

I thought same thing about the elevator. The retro equipment was of course why Minstrels plan failed.
Mr. Deathtrap

Post by Mr. Deathtrap »

Citizens,

Wierdcorey and Claviaranck have brought up my objection to the Minstrel story. Using Alfred's means of ingess to the Batcave seems like an obvious solution to the problem facing out heroes. I don't mind using the retro costumes though. <shrug>

Mr. Deathtrap
Tune in for their exciting conclusion. Same Bat-Time! Same Bat - Channel!
celestialhost

Post by celestialhost »

Grrr. Ordered it from Forbidden Planet. Still waiting for our wretched post service to deliver it. This is the issue I really want to read.

I liked Marsha a lot in the TV series. The only problem with her was that she wore several different outfits but never had one outfit that captured her personality in the way most of the other villains did.