Batman series of today

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

greenhornet66

Batman series of today

Post by greenhornet66 »

I was just wondering what the Bat fans would think if there was a new series of Batman, a newer spin-off from the 66 tv show. Only this show has no slapstick, off beat corny quotes or medifors from robin. The villians were more real criminals and not some hoaky character. And using the classic 66 Batmobile would give it good ratings, just seeing the car in action is worth watching.
elmrgraham

Re: Batman series of today

Post by elmrgraham »

In my opinion,the 1966 Batman TV show struck an excellent balance of being campy and serious.A possible spin-off would have to strike the same balance to me.As far as the Villains/Villainesses go,if is not broke,do not fix it.In other words,leave it alone.The 66 Batmobile would be excellent.
dell

Post by dell »

In my opinion there are only two ways to play Batman, campy or dark. It simply makes no sense any other way.
dell
Jaws63

Post by Jaws63 »

dell wrote:In my opinion there are only two ways to play Batman, campy or dark. It simply makes no sense any other way.
Actually we are getting(in a round about way) a new Batman series, it starts this fall...it's called "Gotham" it airs on Fox. I've seen trailers for the series on you-tube. This is more of an origin themed series as told by James Gorden... and yes, a young Bruce Wayne debutes on the pilot episode, but ofcourse this again plays on the more darker side of Batman

Not sure if that's entirely true that there are only two ways to play Batman though. Another way is to make it a live action cartoon. Think of the Disney style kiddie movies of today they are both Live action and cartoon. Yes, there would be the comedy aspect(but not camp) with the same balance of adventure...this might actually have the best likelihood of success.

Also lets ask ourselves, the Flinstones was the first half hour cartoon in a prime-time slot and lasted 6 seasons and I think the reason for it's success was it's uniqueness. A version of Batman in the style I just described would be just as unique in a prime-time slot and we could use a brighter version of Batman these days.
NX01JB

Post by NX01JB »

What about a Batman 66 animated series in the style of the show? The current 66 comic is pretty cool. Hopefully you could get Adam, Burt and Yvonne to voice their characters!
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Excellent idea.
celestialhost

Post by celestialhost »

Jaws63 wrote:
dell wrote:In my opinion there are only two ways to play Batman, campy or dark. It simply makes no sense any other way.
Actually we are getting(in a round about way) a new Batman series, it starts this fall...it's called "Gotham" it airs on Fox. I've seen trailers for the series on you-tube. This is more of an origin themed series as told by James Gorden... and yes, a young Bruce Wayne debutes on the pilot episode, but ofcourse this again plays on the more darker side of Batman
Why does every revamp have to have an origin story? Do the adapters of comic book characters think nobody knows who Bruce Wayne is?

Origin stories are just so tedious.
dell

Post by dell »

Jaws63 wrote:Not sure if that's entirely true that there are only two ways to play Batman though. Another way is to make it a live action cartoon. Think of the Disney style kiddie movies of today they are both Live action and cartoon. Yes, there would be the comedy aspect(but not camp) with the same balance of adventure...this might actually have the best likelihood of success.
Let's use the Green Hornet as an example of a show that seems to be close to what you envision for your version of Batman. The show had a fairly serious approach to it and the Green Hornet fought "normal" criminals. Now let's superimpose your Batman criteria on top of it.

You want the 66 Batmobile in place of the Black Beauty. Well, the Black Beauty looks like a fairly normal limousine from that time period. This allows the car to drive around without causing undue attention; rather important for an undercover crimefighter. The 66 Batmobile sticks out everywhere it goes. Its hard not to attract a tremendous amount of attention with this car. How does Batman remain anonymous with this car? In my opinion, he can’t in any version of the real world. Chalk one up for camp.

The Green Hornet and Kato wear normal clothes and add masks. They also work at night and use stealth, which makes the masks even less obvious. Batman and Robin wear outrageous costumes and are out and about in the middle of the day. How do you explain their costume in a serious version of the show? If you went down to your local police station and saw two guys dressed up in costume your first thought isn’t that they are helping the police solve crimes! Chalk another one up for camp.

Secret identities. The Green Hornet works outside the law and avoids the police as much as possible. Therefore, while the authorities know Britt Reid; they do not know or interact with the Green Hornet. It makes sense that they do not draw a firm connection between Brit Reid and the Green Hornet. By contrast, both Batman and Bruce Wayne are well known by authority figures. How no one figures out that Bruce Wayne is Batman is another mystery that defies explanation. I’m giving this one to camp too.

Other than his car, the Green Hornet has minimal equipment. Therefore, someone of fairly modest means, that had a place to hide this car, could possibly be the Green Hornet. In addition, the Green Hornet’s age, height, and other physical characteristics are not well known to the authorities. Batman, on the other hand, has a fantastic car, the Bat Cave, and a vast array of crime fighting equipment; all of which is well known to both the police and the criminals. Only someone of extraordinary wealth could assemble such an amazing collection of equipment on his own. Also, he is routinely in the company of the authorities who have a very good idea of his height and general physical characteristics; even his voice. The number of men in Gotham City who have the wealth and general physical build of Batman fit has to be very small. I think even Barney Fife could figure out who Batman must be, but the Gotham City authorities never do. Again, the only way to ignore these obvious inconsistencies is to use a campy approach.

When I use the term camp, I’m referring to the tongue-in-cheek approach that they took with Batman. Everyone in the show played their roles seriously no matter how silly the situations were. The villains, the death traps, even most of the crimes were beyond belief, but that’s what gave the show charm and made it entertaining.

I just can’t envision how you put the 1966 Batman into a serious show given the limitations I have stated.
dell
Jaws63

Post by Jaws63 »

dell wrote:
Jaws63 wrote:Not sure if that's entirely true that there are only two ways to play Batman though. Another way is to make it a live action cartoon. Think of the Disney style kiddie movies of today they are both Live action and cartoon. Yes, there would be the comedy aspect(but not camp) with the same balance of adventure...this might actually have the best likelihood of success.
Let's use the Green Hornet as an example of a show that seems to be close to what you envision for your version of Batman. The show had a fairly serious approach to it and the Green Hornet fought "normal" criminals. Now let's superimpose your Batman criteria on top of it.

You want the 66 Batmobile in place of the Black Beauty. Well, the Black Beauty looks like a fairly normal limousine from that time period. This allows the car to drive around without causing undue attention; rather important for an undercover crimefighter. The 66 Batmobile sticks out everywhere it goes. Its hard not to attract a tremendous amount of attention with this car. How does Batman remain anonymous with this car? In my opinion, he can’t in any version of the real world. Chalk one up for camp.

The Green Hornet and Kato wear normal clothes and add masks. They also work at night and use stealth, which makes the masks even less obvious. Batman and Robin wear outrageous costumes and are out and about in the middle of the day. How do you explain their costume in a serious version of the show? If you went down to your local police station and saw two guys dressed up in costume your first thought isn’t that they are helping the police solve crimes! Chalk another one up for camp.

Secret identities. The Green Hornet works outside the law and avoids the police as much as possible. Therefore, while the authorities know Britt Reid; they do not know or interact with the Green Hornet. It makes sense that they do not draw a firm connection between Brit Reid and the Green Hornet. By contrast, both Batman and Bruce Wayne are well known by authority figures. How no one figures out that Bruce Wayne is Batman is another mystery that defies explanation. I’m giving this one to camp too.

Other than his car, the Green Hornet has minimal equipment. Therefore, someone of fairly modest means, that had a place to hide this car, could possibly be the Green Hornet. In addition, the Green Hornet’s age, height, and other physical characteristics are not well known to the authorities. Batman, on the other hand, has a fantastic car, the Bat Cave, and a vast array of crime fighting equipment; all of which is well known to both the police and the criminals. Only someone of extraordinary wealth could assemble such an amazing collection of equipment on his own. Also, he is routinely in the company of the authorities who have a very good idea of his height and general physical characteristics; even his voice. The number of men in Gotham City who have the wealth and general physical build of Batman fit has to be very small. I think even Barney Fife could figure out who Batman must be, but the Gotham City authorities never do. Again, the only way to ignore these obvious inconsistencies is to use a campy approach.

When I use the term camp, I’m referring to the tongue-in-cheek approach that they took with Batman. Everyone in the show played their roles seriously no matter how silly the situations were. The villains, the death traps, even most of the crimes were beyond belief, but that’s what gave the show charm and made it entertaining.

I just can’t envision how you put the 1966 Batman into a serious show given the limitations I have stated.

I think your confused as to exactly what I was suggesting, this is not real people on a live set. this is real people in a cartoon set. Now as far as your definition of camp is concerned, any comic-book variation has to have it's "suspension of belief" in order for it to come across as comic-book like and make your audience believe in your bat-universe.

Our 66Batman went a little bit overboard, they went to a lot of trouble to push the joke farther than it needed to go, the comedy factor I was thinking for this series was more along the lines of what you might expect out of a comic book.
Gotham

Post by Gotham »

How can you fix perfection?
The show was just right for the times, remember it is just a (gasp) Comic book.
I am afraid any TV show would star the rubber clad version of Batman. Remember the people today are more sophisticated than we were, If you don't believe me ask one, and the bright colored Caped Crusader just wouldn't make it today.
Sadly neither would the Futura Version of the Batmobile. Todays fans want the rolling bumbling
or Vette version of the car, Matt finish and all.
I'm not sure I'd want to see another actor in that suit anyway.
Other actors have tried, but there is only one Batman, Adam West is it.
At least for me....Happy late birthday Batman...23rd
Larry
I may not agree with what you say at times, But I will fight for your right to say it!
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

dell, while your point about the over the top look of Batman, a few things should be said of dozier's version of the Green Hornet:
dell wrote: Well, the Black Beauty looks like a fairly normal limousine from that time period. This allows the car to drive around without causing undue attention; rather important for an undercover crimefighter.
The Dozier Black Beauty was more than its Chrysler roots; on the street of that period, that car was not the average vehicle. From the revisionist body to the wheels, it would draw attention. You can see the difference in any daytime shot of the car.

Other than his car, the Green Hornet has minimal equipment. Therefore, someone of fairly modest means, that had a place to hide this car, could possibly be the Green Hornet.
It is less about means, and more about technical ability / inventiveness. Even today, weapons like the Hornet Sting do not exist on the market, nor are you likely to find a weapon that can be modified to serve that purpose. One would need the time, knowledge and resources to create, test and use such a device in a timely manner that would not require the usual long years in some company's R&D department.

Then, there are the Black Beauty's rockets--missiles: yes, we have seen movie and stunt cars rigged to fire projectiles, but imagine what kind of resources and access it would take to build and/oracquire the kind of real (in-series) high level missiles used by the BB. How would people of modest means replenish missiles? Imagine the cost to rig a base commercial vehicle to have its own safe launch system, that would not risk accidental launch while recessed?

This is where the fantastic overrides the practical side of the GH--which is one of the reasons he was more than the random pulp-type character before and after the TV series. In other words, GH might play as more realistic than Dozier's Batman, but he's no Columbo in a mask.

If a producer stuck to the early-mid season 1 approach, it would play as serious with occasional comic relief, as opposed to the abuses of seasons 2 & 3, where the production was too self-aware of public perception / stereotypes of their own series.
Beneath Wayne Manor
svl

Post by svl »

NX01JB wrote:What about a Batman 66 animated series in the style of the show? The current 66 comic is pretty cool.
An animated show would be great, but I would hope any possible producers would steer clear of the comic series. That thing is a train wreck of un"holy" proportions...