Londinium Larcenies Set Questions

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Steve Rosinski

Londinium Larcenies Set Questions

Post by Steve Rosinski »

I just watched the Londinium Larceny Trilogy recorded on IFC . I'm sure this has been discussed in the forum before. It's obvious that the trilogy was filmed in LA, which Dozier explains away by saying it's an unusually clear day in Londinium. It's also clear that the Londinium police precinct is Commissioner Gordon's office redressed. (Batman says it looks familiar to which Gordon comments that police department decor varies little the world over.) But is the exterior of Ffogg place actually the Pasadena Wayne Manor exterior? And is Lord Ffogg's living room really Bruce Wayne's redressed?
Ben Bentley

Re: Londinium Larcenies Set Questions

Post by Ben Bentley »

The interior for Ffogg's living room is almost certainly a redressed scaled back version of what was previously the Wayne Manor living. Note that the only Wayne Manor interior we see in Season Three is Bruce's Study. It's been implied that by that point in the shows production, other regularly used sets on the same sound stage were dismantled to make room for interiors such as Barbara Gordon's apartment.
Steve Rosinski

Post by Steve Rosinski »

Thanks, Ben.Interesting. One other thing I noticed at the beginning of the first episode of the three-parter when Dick is in a wig on drums, Alfred calls him "Master Robin." Did Alan just mess up his line like the time he called him "Master Ward?" And if so, why did they keep it in? Was it because of budget or because they didn't want to offend someone as accomplished as Alan Napier, or they just didn't care at this point? Or some other reason?
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I'd say Alan's flubbed line was missed by the production team. Otherwise it would not have made it in. Or it was in the script.
Steve Rosinski

Post by Steve Rosinski »

I think you're right, Andy. It was probably missed. The writers are usually good about having Alfred call him "Master Dick" out of costume and "Master Robin" when he's in it.
Steve Rosinski

Post by Steve Rosinski »

Desmond Doomsday's comment that it was an unusually sunny day in Londinium reminds me of Austin Powers' remark: "Isn't it amazing how England looks nothing like Southern California?"
philigan

Post by philigan »

Isn't Karnaby Katz's living room also the Wayne Manor set?
Steve Rosinski

Post by Steve Rosinski »

Now that you mention it, very likely. It must have been disheartening for Adam & Burt to see their standing sets dismantled & repurposed. Perhaps they could sense the end was coming.
Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

Steve Rosinski wrote: One other thing I noticed at the beginning of the first episode of the three-parter when Dick is in a wig on drums, Alfred calls him "Master Robin." Did Alan just mess up his line like the time he called him "Master Ward?" And if so, why did they keep it in? Was it because of budget or because they didn't want to offend someone as accomplished as Alan Napier, or they just didn't care at this point? Or some other reason?
I missed this somehow. When did he call him "Master Ward?"

As far as the "Master Robin" line, I wondered the same thing. I was thinking they didn't care by the time they were into the third season. I mean whoever was supposed to pay attention to the dialogue wasn't paying attention during the "thrust of manhood" line either <g>

(Totally off topic, Steve, and not that you need to see the layout of the inside of the Pasadena Wayne Manor since you saw it in person, but I found that the 1937 movie Topper used the inside quite extensively, and now I have a better sense of the layout of the interior than I did from Bridesmaids or from the Bowfinger clip I saw.)
Steve Rosinski

Post by Steve Rosinski »

In episode 7, "Instant Freeze" Alfred called Burt, "Master Ward" rather than "Master Grayson.

I'm glad you could see the interior of Wayne Manor, Gleeps. I need to watch those Topper films. I wish I could have taken photos inside, but it was a working set and they frown on that.
Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

Steve Rosinski wrote:In episode 7, "Instant Freeze" Alfred called Burt, "Master Ward" rather than "Master Grayson.

I'm glad you could see the interior of Wayne Manor, Gleeps. I need to watch those Topper films. I wish I could have taken photos inside, but it was a working set and they frown on that.
Hmm, unless it's been cut from my copy, I can't find a "Master Ward" line anywhere in Instant Freeze, but I did see Alfred calling Robin "Master Dick" twice in the scene in Rats Like Cheese where Alfred brings "Master Dick" dressed as Robin a snack in the Batcave while Robin is tracking Batman's blip on the radar screen. That particular Batcave scene seems to have been cut from the TVLand version.
Steve Rosinski

Post by Steve Rosinski »

The BluRay release will probably have " Master Ward" edited back into that copy.
dell

Post by dell »

It wasn't just season three, In a season one episode there is an obvious error. The episode is "Hot Off the Griddle" with Catwoman. The scene is the one where the henchmen climbs into the upper story window of a museum. Batman and Robin confront the henchmen and bemoan the fact that Catwoman herself didn't appear. The henchmen says a few things and then finally states, "if you look behind her, you will see that she did." He clearly meant to say, "if you look behind you, you will see that she did."
dell
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Batman also refers to Pinky Pinkston as "Miss Kingston" in the climax of the Green Hornet episode.