What you found odd about the show but now understand

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

John Mack

What you found odd about the show but now understand

Post by John Mack »

A lot of things have made themselves clear over the years, but these things I'm about to mention, baffled me as a child. What things stood out to you?

1. Different actors playing the same villain
2. Why didn't Batman just use Batknockout pellets instead of super blinding Batpellets.
3. Why the need to write new villains for the show, since there were so many to draw from in the comic books.

There's more, but you get the idea.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
High C

Re: What you found odd about the show but now understand

Post by High C »

Batguitarist wrote:A lot of things have made themselves clear over the years, but these things I'm about to mention, baffled me as a child. What things stood out to you?

1. Different actors playing the same villain
2. Why didn't Batman just use Batknockout pellets instead of super blinding Batpellets.
3. Why the need to write new villains for the show, since there were so many to draw from in the comic books.
*Why they always (in seasons 1 and 2) lost the first fight but won the second fight.
*Why they always (season 2) let themselves get conned by Catwoman. (I figured that one out when I hit puberty. :D )
*Why the season 3 henchmen always obliged by running straight into Batgirl's field-goal kicks. Actually, I still don't really understand that one. . .
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
chetchumley

Post by chetchumley »

why ROBIN always got captured when he was alone !! but along side BATMAN usually had no problems while fighting !!
philigan

Post by philigan »

Why the villian always had a couple of henchmen with them, then when the fight started (wherever they were) 3 or 4 more henchmen would join in out of no where.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I was probably the dumbest kid on the block, not only did I not notice actors reappearing or being replaced (or if I did I don't remember an impact) I didn't get that Bookworm was Roddy McDowall who was Cornelius in Planet of the Apes, King Tut was also in Beneath the Planet of the Apes (my other obsession at the time) and on a great episode of The Odd Couple I watched, Burgess was in The Twilight Zone or that Vincent Price was Dr. Phibes! I think I was just totally clueless.

It wasn't until I was about 14 that someone got it through my head that PEOPLE actually drew comic books for a LIVING, which created my lifelong ambition. So I really was a thick headed kid.

I do remember my routine, I would sit down in front of the tube when the show was coming on and stick around if it was a good villain and going to do something else if it was the ones I didn't like. I also vividly remember the anticipation of whether or not Batgirl would swing in during the animated opening, but I don't recall if I was happy for it or disappointed. I'm betting I was happy (I am a guy after all) but never noticed Julie's appeal as Catwoman which now boggles my mind.
Boy Wonder

Post by Boy Wonder »

AndyFish wrote:I was probably the dumbest kid on the block, not only did I not notice actors reappearing or being replaced (or if I did I don't remember an impact) I didn't get that Bookworm was Roddy McDowall who was Cornelius in Planet of the Apes, King Tut was also in Beneath the Planet of the Apes (my other obsession at the time)
Don't forget Maurice Evans (The Puzzler) as Dr. Zaius.
Boy Wonder

Post by Boy Wonder »

The only thing that stumped me as a kid (and still does) is the costume changing on the Bat Poles.
twint9

Post by twint9 »

1) Why the turntable in the Batcave appeared and disappeared in different scenes, and when it was not there how the Batmobile actually turned around.
2) Costume change on bat poles
3) Why there was a difference between the sets in some episodes. I remember thinking that what turned out to be season 3 was actually season 1 and that the show improved, rather than the other way around.
4) How Batman's utility belt kept changing with different pouches appearing and disappearing
5) I was convinced that the Batshield was stored in a pouch in Batman's cape
Jaws63

Post by Jaws63 »

When I was a kid watching the show, I never understood how earlier shows had the fight words in the batfights were written out on the screen(you could see the fight word with out leaving the scene), but the episodes from season 2 were like they were on flashcards(this bugged me, because the fight scene was frozen(with a flashcard). I was young, and I never did distinguish one season from another.

Another thing that bugs me even now, and I still don't understand...Aunt Harriett lived at Wayne Manner, but through all that time never entered the study. Even if she did, the polls to the batcave were concealed. The button to open the bookcase to the batpoles was also concealed. Bruce Wayne was a rich millionaire, the red phone could easily be explained. All this secrecy I would think would make Harriett that much more curious.
superman1966

Post by superman1966 »

I don't see anything odd of the show,but unlike other shows that i watched as a kid,i can say Batman stood the test time.Watching this shows doesn't get old.
Aussie Batfan

Post by Aussie Batfan »

Good topic. I think i'm the opposite - the premises and conventions about the show I accepted with complete innocence as a kid I now think 'that doesn't make sense'! :P
I find it best not to question too much - just accept it as I did at 7 years old!
Terry
superman1966

Post by superman1966 »

What i mean,their other shows that i grew up with,they didn't held up with,but Batman is like no other,not to compare,but my second favorate show that came out on ABC&in 1966 is Dark Shadows.But are entirley different,DS lasted longer then batman,bot had great cast.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I was so pedantic as a kid: all I found "odd" was that Batman's utility belt had those huge pouches (instead of the capsules in the comics) and that Bruce Wayne's hair wasn't black like it should be.

One minor mystery was how the costume changes occurred: Bruce and Dick started down the poles in their street clothes but emerged in costume. This one I figured out for myself: there was a floor between the study and the cave where the costumes were stored. Bruce and Dick slid down to that room and changed during the commercial break. Perfectly logical. Then came the movie, and there was no commercial break. Turns out it was a lever that somehow magically changed their clothes without them ever letting go of the poles. NOW I don't understand! :shock:

Other minor mysteries included what would happen if they had to drive the batmobile in the rain (no roof!), how a clam could have teeth and why the same people were always crossing the street every time the Dynamic Duo arrived at Police HQ.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Golddragon71

Post by Golddragon71 »

funny that the batpole thing never fazed me as a kid.
the thing that threw me was the sec...er, Third Catwoman (Eartha Kitt) was she supposed to be the same exact person or was she a member of the Newmar Catwoman's gang that took over when the original vanished (Lately I've thought about Julie's cat woman coming back and having at first a team-up and then an ultimate showdown to determine the final true holder of the name.)
(In Riddler's case it didn't faze me as much when john Astin took over the role that one time. I actually wished he had come back again when I was a kid because i liked him better than Gorshin's Riddler)
"Someone might be able to substitute for Batman, for a very short time, but no one could ever replace him!"
Gotham

Post by Gotham »

The goofy camera angles got me until Adam explained it because the Bad Guys "were crooked"!
Also why the Riddler only wore the "Suit" Costume 2 times I can remember in the series, it was much cooler than the tights....
I may not agree with what you say at times, But I will fight for your right to say it!