Third season corrections

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Jaws63

Third season corrections

Post by Jaws63 »

robinboyblunderer wrote:
I could've really done without Olga.
They should've had an Egghead episode with him on his own and if they really wanted, have Anne play a different character or fine, Olga, but I think she would've been more tolerable with her own episode, rather than diminish Egghead.

jaws63 wrote:
I'm really mixed on this one, on one hand Baxter and Price did have really good chemistry. On the other hand, and I'm not sure if it was bad writing for Price, or Anne's over the top performance or both. It just seemed like Baxter out performed Price. The story started out just fine with the kidnapping of Gorden and the egg tax, typical Egghead. Where this story goes south, is believing that Egghead can be henpecked and the Kossacks chanting "Olga" got really annoying. Even Egghead told Olga they were scrambling his "fantastic" brain.
superman1966

Re: Third season corrections

Post by superman1966 »

You know 3rd season could be better if for the fact,the budget was cut,the writing wasn't the best on some stories,& I think it would been better if BatGirl was introduce in the 2nd season ,not in every episode,maybe roating episodes.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

Way too many characters. By the time Gordon & O'Hara did their stuff, and Alfred the suddenly unfaithful butler powwowed in glorious cahoots with Batgirl, and a few ridiculous oddly named peripheral characters did their unfunny comedy bits, there was very little screen time left for ... what's the show called ... Batman?!
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

Yes, that was definitely a problem. Better to just cut the unfunny peripheral characters. Bad writing, stupid heroes, Batgirl making them look really dumb; she was either hyper competent or helpless.

I could've handled her as the occasional guest star.

Eartha did a good job but for me, Julie's performance is the best and Catwoman just wasn't the same.

Really, it all comes down to the writing, I think. Sure the budgets had been cut and the sets were now abstract but it still could've worked or at least been around season 2 quality.

Who thought Lola Lasagne was a good idea? Two episodes of her? Three of Olga? Two of Shame and the terrible mother-in-law character. Sure, Batman has some amazingly funny lines at the showdown but still. Then you factor in Dr. Cabalah and Minerva...these are some of the worst characters in the entire show. Wait, actually, they are the worst characters. Why not bring back Bookworm and False Face?

And did every episode have to end with Robin wanting to go after Batgirl and Batman respecting her secret i.d.? They couldn't have just wrapped that up at some point; then they'd have more time to get the plot going then finding a way for Batgirl to be involved.

Geez, the more I sit here and consider the third season, the worse it seems.

If there was no reason to have O'Hara better to have the actor sit out, then jam him in. Of course, they wanted him to work since he'd get paid for sitting out, but it's just too much.
Bill S.C.

Post by Bill S.C. »

Instead of the Londinium episodes:

Many years ago, I got the idea of turning the King Tut episode "I'll Be A Mummy's Uncle," into a three part episode. Have the first part end with him just about to break into the batcave while looking for the nylanium. The 2nd part begins with him breaking into the batcave and discovering Batman and Robin's true identities. During the fight in the batcave, Alfred wanders in and Tut uses him to force B&R to give up. Tut decides to turn Wayne Manor and the batcave into his new hideout forcing Batman to use the Batcomputer to plot his crimes and B&R to carry them out. This makes B&R wanted criminals putting public and political pressure on Commissioner Gordon to call on Batgirl to find and arrest them. The third part would involve Batgirl actually tracing Tut's trail into the batcave and have her discover their secret as well, without Tut finding out. With Batgirl agreeing to help, B&R are able to turn the tables on Tut by faking a police raid on Wayne manor forcing Tut and his gang into a small secured room which is actually a cabinet for a new device that Batman has just recently completed that can erase the occupants memory back to any point in time. After their memories are erased, Batman requests that Batgirl submit to the same memory erasing treatment, but understands that he can't force her to agree. She agrees, but first suggests to Batman that by totally trusting each other, as she trusted them to be innocent which lead to the capture of Tut and his gang, they could all be in a better position to more effectively fight crime in Gotham City and watch out for each other. So, Batgirl agrees on her word as a crime-fighter that if they'll trust her to keep their secret, she'll trust them with hers; at which point she takes off her cowl and reveals herself to be Barbara Gordon. However, she still honors her deal with Alfred and makes no mention of their relationship.

I even had the following dialog for the scene where Tut is taking control of the batcave and Wayne manor.

King Tut: Where is the access route up to Wayne manor?
Batman: There are two ways actually, by batpole via the compressed steam lift. But, I suggest you use the service elevator that Alfred uses. (Pointing in the elevator directions) over there.
King Tut: A King does not use either the access or egress of a servant. I shall ascend to Wayne manor by yon batpole. Tutlings, bring everyone else up in the elevator.
Tut stands on the platform of Batman's batpole and pushes the compressed steam lift button. But, after a few seconds of steam being dispensed, the platform is unable to carry Tut's girth up the pole and doesn't move an inch. Tut steps off the platform coughing from the steam. Walks over to Batman and quietly says:
King Tut: You say the elevator is over there?
Batman nods yes.
King Tut: (In a commanding voice) Everybody into the elevator.
"Oh soon we'll be out amid the cold world's strife. Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life." - Tom Lehrer
weirdkorey

Post by weirdkorey »

Bill S.C. wrote:Instead of the Londinium episodes:

Many years ago, I got the idea of turning the King Tut episode "I'll Be A Mummy's Uncle," into a three part episode. Have the first part end with him just about to break into the batcave while looking for the nylanium. The 2nd part begins with him breaking into the batcave and discovering Batman and Robin's true identities. During the fight in the batcave, Alfred wanders in and Tut uses him to force B&R to give up. Tut decides to turn Wayne Manor and the batcave into his new hideout forcing Batman to use the Batcomputer to plot his crimes and B&R to carry them out. This makes B&R wanted criminals putting public and political pressure on Commissioner Gordon to call on Batgirl to find and arrest them. The third part would involve Batgirl actually tracing Tut's trail into the batcave and have her discover their secret as well, without Tut finding out. With Batgirl agreeing to help, B&R are able to turn the tables on Tut by faking a police raid on Wayne manor forcing Tut and his gang into a small secured room which is actually a cabinet for a new device that Batman has just recently completed that can erase the occupants memory back to any point in time. After their memories are erased, Batman requests that Batgirl submit to the same memory erasing treatment, but understands that he can't force her to agree. She agrees, but first suggests to Batman that by totally trusting each other, as she trusted them to be innocent which lead to the capture of Tut and his gang, they could all be in a better position to more effectively fight crime in Gotham City and watch out for each other. So, Batgirl agrees on her word as a crime-fighter that if they'll trust her to keep their secret, she'll trust them with hers; at which point she takes off her cowl and reveals herself to be Barbara Gordon. However, she still honors her deal with Alfred and makes no mention of their relationship.

I even had the following dialog for the scene where Tut is taking control of the batcave and Wayne manor.

King Tut: Where is the access route up to Wayne manor?
Batman: There are two ways actually, by batpole via the compressed steam lift. But, I suggest you use the service elevator that Alfred uses. (Pointing in the elevator directions) over there.
King Tut: A King does not use either the access or egress of a servant. I shall ascend to Wayne manor by yon batpole. Tutlings, bring everyone else up in the elevator.
Tut stands on the platform of Batman's batpole and pushes the compressed steam lift button. But, after a few seconds of steam being dispensed, the platform is unable to carry Tut's girth up the pole and doesn't move an inch. Tut steps off the platform coughing from the steam. Walks over to Batman and quietly says:
King Tut: You say the elevator is over there?
Batman nods yes.
King Tut: (In a commanding voice) Everybody into the elevator.
Wow that actually would have been pretty cool! Did you write out a whole script? If so I would love to get a copy of it just to read for fun as kind of a "What if" concept. "I'll Be A Mummy's Uncle" is one of my favorite episodes, because even though its a season 3 episode, to me it kind of recaptured a mix of a season 1 & season 2 episode. In my opinion it was probably one of the better stories of season 3.
Bill S.C.

Post by Bill S.C. »

Thanks; I'm glad you liked it.

I had began working on a rough draft of the script a few years ago; however between the kids and work, I unfortunately never got around to finishing it. I've been wanting to get back to it lately. If I do, I 'll certainly post it here.
"Oh soon we'll be out amid the cold world's strife. Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life." - Tom Lehrer
High C

Post by High C »

Bill S.C. wrote:Thanks; I'm glad you liked it.

I had began working on a rough draft of the script a few years ago; however between the kids and work, I unfortunately never got around to finishing it. I've been wanting to get back to it lately. If I do, I 'll certainly post it here.
Good stuff. I like your ideas a lot. I wish the show had thought of going outside the box more often.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

Oh, I'd love to read that story, Bill S.C.! Great stuff so far! And your snippet of dialogue really captured the humor of the King Tut character.

I've often wondered if there were any 'revelation' stories out there. Someone (Barbara or the Commissioner) finding out that Batman is Bruce Wayne, or Batman finding out that Batgirl is Barbara Gordon. Is anyone able to point me in the direction of any?
Jaws63

Post by Jaws63 »

While were on the subject of King Tut, as much as I love his 3rd season stories... there is a chronology gaff in that when Dr Cassandra releases King tut from prison(among other villains) he's King Tut, No boink on the noggin, no knowledge he discovered B&R's true identities a couple episodes earlier, just plain ole King Tut. For that matter, Penguin should've still been sleeping from the overdose of that vaccine.