New Batman Podcast to Try

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

John S. Drew

New Batman Podcast to Try

Post by John S. Drew »

Greetings all!

I don't know if I'm in the right section, but I thought this one suited this best. As fans of the 60s Batman series, you might want to check out my podcast, The Batcave Podcast. Every two weeks, a special Batchum and I look at an episode of the series and discuss the merits and demerits it deserves.

I started the podcast with one thing in mind. I loved this show and still do, but why? So many people deride it and say it's not the real Batman, either now or then. But in talking more with my guests and reading the comics that inspired the series, I have to wonder if there's a lot of sour grapes among those people.

So the mission of the podcast is to justify my love for the series. You can easily argue no should have to justify their love for any fandom, but take a listen and I think you'll see it's worth it. I have notable Bat-chums like Jim Beard and Robert Greenberger. I've had a few interviews on the show as well, but not with any of the series stars.

Some day.

So, check it out on iTunes, Stitcher, or visit the homepage - thebatcavepodcast.com

I look forward to chatting up Batman here and to hearing your thoughts on the podcast.
bat lugosi

Re: New Batman Podcast to Try

Post by bat lugosi »

Hey,

I absolutely love the podcast!Just listened to the 2nd Catwoman episode, wonderful stuff!
Kamdan

Post by Kamdan »

110% sure that wasn't an actual wax figure of The Riddler, just to let you know.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

I'm really interested to try your podcast, i'm always in need of new listening material whilst travelling. Looking forward to giving it a listen!
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

I have listened to all the episodes to date and enjoy them greatly. While I have seen all the TV episodes multiple times, there are always things pointed out and ideas espoused that I had not thought of. They keep getting longer and more in-depth. And I love listening to Jim Beard! Thank you, Mr. Drew, for all the work and care you put into them.
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

It's a great podcast, John. So far I've just listened to Griddle and I'm about to stick the Minstrel on my iPod.
John S. Drew

Post by John S. Drew »

Thanks for the kind words about the podcast. I'm glad you're all enjoying it. Stay tuned as I've got other notable Batpersons coming down the pipe including Dan Greenfield of 13thDimension.com and Chris Gould of Batman at 45. Plus, John Champion of the Mission Log podcast will be on an upcoming episode.

The next episode will be released this Wednesday taking a look at King Tut's first second season appearance.
High C

Post by High C »

John, very good stuff. Just listened to the Minstrel podcast with Jim Beard.

You both made some interesting observations, especially yours that Minstrel almost is described as a male counterpart to Siren with the women swooning over him. Never thought of it that way but it's a great point.

And yeah, I wonder if one reason Minstrel didn't return is that he was too challenging a villain, even for the writers. I liked that he brought out the best in Batman--he couldn't just use the bag of tricks in his utility belt, he had to try to outwit him.

I agree with you two--this is an underrated ep.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Jaws63

Post by Jaws63 »

I've listened to each episode twice over so far, I'm thoroughly enjoying them. I do have one thing worthy to note, I noticed the pilot was done twice(Not to be critical), but I heard it mention that you believe there was no narration in the opening sequence of the pilot and that it's been like that since it's debute. It's only in these current broadcast prints, that have no opening narration in the pilot episode.

The Original ABC run and early in this shows syndication had a Dosier narration in the pilot, you can find this version on you tube.
John S. Drew

Post by John S. Drew »

Thanks for that! I would imagine then if what they say is true that the DVD and Blu-Ray releases are broadcast copies we should get that narration back in the episode. I look forward to hearing it.
John S. Drew

Post by John S. Drew »

Well, just in time for the return to school, there's a new episode of The Batcave Podcast. I'm joined by author Julio Angel Ortiz as we take a look at King Tut's second appearance on the show. Those who are listening know that author Jim Beard and I weren't impressed with his first appearance on the show. Will the same hold true this time? Also, we discuss how Batman can help improve your vocabulary as he never talked down to the audience with his choice of words.

Take a listen and see if you agree.

Jaws63

Post by Jaws63 »

Interesting, you didn't care for this King Tut episode. Yeh as kid of 5 or 6 years of age, Tut never really impressed me. It wasn't until I was a teen that I began to appreciate "Victor Bouno" . I agree there are holes with the plot, but this episode emphasized more on his comedic side, which I liked. My favorite piece of dialogue is when Tut tells his henchman(Aminufic Dufic 'I hope I'm spelling this right'), if he say's his infamous catch phrase "or my name aint ____ " any more, Tut was going to slap him LOL. Victor's high emotion when he gasps "Failure, abject Failure", sorta reminded me of "Bert Lahr's" cowardly lion, and when his henchman tells him "That cockroach is really tickin" Tuts comment "your just saying that to make me feel good" just floored me. Bouno definitely had that personality that a lot of the other actors stepping into these villain/ess rolls seemed somewhat robotic in comparison. I thought in general this was a solid season 2 episode, one of my favorites.
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Finished listening to the podcast for "Fine Finny Fiends" and enjoyed it but one correction I have to make regarding Julie Gregg (Finella). Whoever made the entry at imdb that she was "Miss Canary Islands" in "Green Ice" needed an eye exam because that isn't her, it's just another blonde. But Julie is in the "Batman" movie as the French nightclub singer in the scene where Bruce takes Kitka out and is even wearing the same gown from the tag scene of the episode.
Jaws63

Post by Jaws63 »

The latest entrée in the podcast episodes are "The greatest mother of them all, Ma Parker". I too liked these pair of episodes. It cracked me up you mistakenly called shelly Duvall as Ma Parker. I can't think of any two opposite actresses and I also think they belong to two different epochs in tv history. As far as made for tv villain/ness she wasn't the worst, but at the same time not the greatest. Yes, this was definitely an example of fitting the actress to the villain...but much like Shame, she was that "fish out of water" concept that actually worked.

This episode makes good use of B&R's detective skills, a lot of outdoor scenery that's always a plus in a Batman ep. The use of Gotham Pen was quite genius, if I'm to be critical about anything is that I never understood Catowman's use here. It was stated that Joker and Penguin were in confinement until they learn who's boss(Which was Ma Parker)...I found it a bit convenient that another "infamous villainess" would put aside her own ego and partner with Catwowman(who for me would make just as much sense to give the Parkers the same amount of trrouble as Joker and Penguin did). You want to talk about a missed opportunity. Milton Berle has more dialogue the Newmar does in this outing..."holy cameo appearance". Catwoman and Ma Parker actually teaming up would have made things interesting.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

I have been enjoying the podcasts. I wanted to dowload episode 6 A Riddle A Day Keeps The Ridller Away. I get an error No FIle.

I used the contact form on the site about a month ago no response. I tried the g-mail account nada. I just posted on the face book page, we will see if something happens.