Batcopter, How did it Fly?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Gotham

Batcopter, How did it Fly?

Post by Gotham »

Looking at the Batcopter I wonder how it flew? The Bat Wings must have blocked a lot of the air flow down. I am betting with that large obstruction it was a son of a gun to fly.
I have seen two versions with and without the Wings..
Ant info on the Batcopter. I am also wondering how many episodes it was in, and where it is now.
Attachments
batcopter2.jpg
batcopter2.jpg (8.23 KiB) Viewed 6848 times
Batcopter.jpg
Batcopter.jpg (6.08 KiB) Viewed 6848 times
I may not agree with what you say at times, But I will fight for your right to say it!
Jim K, Bat fan

Re: Batcopter, How did it Fly?

Post by Jim K, Bat fan »

I can't really say how many episodes it was in, but as for the question "where is it now" perhaps this web site will help:

http://www.nockworldentertainment.com/batcopter_n3079g

The copter makes appearances at many conventions, and I believe many of our board members have had a chance to ride in it - myself included! :D :D
dell

Post by dell »

I have read that it indeed was a son of a gun to fly. I'm sure the the wings were taken off to improve handling and I doubt the FAA would allow that kind of modification today.
dell
Gotham

Post by Gotham »

Jim K, Bat fan wrote:I can't really say how many episodes it was in, but as for the question "where is it now" perhaps this web site will help:

http://www.nockworldentertainment.com/batcopter_n3079g

The copter makes appearances at many conventions, and I believe many of our board members have had a chance to ride in it - myself included! :D :D
Thats a pretty cool site, I saw the Robin Side car on an episode of some reality show (cant remember which one) and they had Burt Ward verify it was the one he crashed in, and sent him to the Emergency room!
Oh how lucky we were, to have grown up in that simpler time, with the good entertainment,
INCLUDING playing OUTSIDE with our friends.
I may not agree with what you say at times, But I will fight for your right to say it!
Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

Gotham wrote: I saw the Robin Side car on an episode of some reality show (cant remember which one) and they had Burt Ward verify it was the one he crashed in, and sent him to the Emergency room!
I saw that show when it ran on COZI-TV several months ago. It was Hollywood Treasure. I believe it was originally from 2011.
Gotham

Post by Gotham »

DING, dING, dING You win!!! That's it, I couldn't remember the name....thanks!
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

My question is why does the original Batcopter that is shown at the various shows today not have the original Bat logos on the gas tanks? The ones on the tanks are the 1964 Neal Adams logos. This has always bothered me. The owner has never replied to me.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
weirdkorey

Post by weirdkorey »

Batguitarist wrote:My question is why does the original Batcopter that is shown at the various shows today not have the original Bat logos on the gas tanks? The ones on the tanks are the 1964 Neal Adams logos. This has always bothered me. The owner has never replied to me.

John
I wondered that as well, i understand that in the last 48 years it has been restored at some point, which I would expect due to it's age but I will never understand how someone would go to the trouble of owning the original yet when they restore it (which should mean to make it look new like it did on the show & movie) they change things about it that are obviously different. George Barris did this with the original Batmobile when he restored it by sticking a bunch of random stickers & labels that were never on it originally. If I had been the one who bought the original car in that auction the first thing I would have done is take all that stuff off of it. Anyway back on topic.. I understand that if the owner of the batcopter wants to be able to actually fly it they probably can't have the big fins on it due to the FAA, but why not construct a way to make the fins detatchable so they can be detatched when flying it yet be reattached when landed so that way when it is landed it looks exactly like it should. Just my opinion.
chetchumley

Post by chetchumley »

Batguitarist wrote:My question is why does the original Batcopter that is shown at the various shows today not have the original Bat logos on the gas tanks? The ones on the tanks are the 1964 Neal Adams logos. This has always bothered me. The owner has never replied to me.

John
i,m sure the "66" BAT-LOGOS were removed shortly after they were done filming !! they were most likely added again later by the new ? owner once he realized WHICH copter he now had in his possession??? a BIGGER question is ??????????????????????? where are those cool BAT-WING,S today ??????????????????...talk about a rare find !!!
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

As I recall, the Batcopter was used stripped and used on other television shows. I was happily surprised that Eugene Nock did receive the wings with the copter when he bought it. The wings were leather, and are really ratty now. And since the copter travels to these shows primarily on a flatbed semi trailer, it would be difficult to transport them across the country. Eugene said the wings cut the lift by 50%! I have offered to make new tank stickers for him, but we never got back to that subject.
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

Gotham, the Batcopter wasn't used much in the series; maybe two episodes? One was a Joker episode where he turned the water into jelly (possibly The Impractical Joker/The Joker's Provokers).
weirdkorey

Post by weirdkorey »

Mark Racop wrote:I have offered to make new tank stickers for him, but we never got back to that subject.
He definately should get the correct stickers to make it look original.
Mark Racop wrote:I was happily surprised that Eugene Nock did receive the wings with the copter when he bought it. The wings were leather, and are really ratty now. And since the copter travels to these shows primarily on a flatbed semi trailer, it would be difficult to transport them across the country.
Maybe someone should give him my suggestion which was to modify the wings to make them easily detatchable so he could set them beside the copter while on a trailer & then when he gets to the shows he can just quickly reattach them. maybe an easy way to do this would be to weld 4 small slots on each side of the copter & paint them to blend in, then on the inside of the wings make little 90 degree edges so you can have the wings just drop into the slots. Just a suggestion so it could look more like it did originally on the movie.
Gotham

Post by Gotham »

What would be even better is if the wings could be folded in Under the chassis so that they would not deflect any air while flying, then they could simply be pulled out and locked..
Again it would have to meet FAA rules and probably need a safety switch that would defeat the engine
switch when the Bat Wings are unfurled..
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

Great ideas, all, but as it turns out, Eugene flies the Batcopter at these shows, taking people on rides--I don't see him adding and removing the wings fifty times or more during the course of a weekend. I don't see a good answer regarding the wings unless the Batcopter is put into a museum some day.
chetchumley

Post by chetchumley »

Mark Racop wrote:Gotham, the Batcopter wasn't used much in the series; maybe two episodes? One was a Joker episode where he turned the water into jelly (possibly The Impractical Joker/The Joker's Provokers).
IT also appeared in 3rd season "SURFS UP , JOKERS UNDER"..