OFFICIAL BATMUSIC THREAD ADD TO IT WHEN YOU WILL

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

John Mack

Re: OFFICIAL BATMUSIC THREAD ADD TO IT WHEN YOU WILL

Post by John Mack »

He did the movie soundtrack and said he had access to the tv music and just said it was boring, the same thing over and over. Obviously, an untrained ear. I got the impression he didn't make much of an effort due to the rights problems at the time--2005?

GNP had a great Star Trek release and a sound effects CD as well. But GNP Cresendo is no more. LLR probably got those from them. Oh, they had a killer Mission: Impossible soundtrack as well for the 60's and 80's series.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
FranchiseBrianSire

Post by FranchiseBrianSire »

Ive read through the passed pages and its been almost 2 months with no further posts... Now that the series has been released in its finest quality, have any of the villian themes or actual music from the show itself been found anywhere? Or put together?
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

FranchiseBrianSire wrote:Ive read through the passed pages and its been almost 2 months with no further posts... Now that the series has been released in its finest quality, have any of the villian themes or actual music from the show itself been found anywhere? Or put together?
Well, as I'm sure you saw in earlier posts the 66 soundtrack has been reissued, but that wasn't really meant to be a "music lovers" LP. It was just a fun thing.

But as for your question, "Have any of the villian themes or actual music from the show itself been found anywhere? Or put together?" the answer is no. The songs, or cues (as they are called in the music industry) have not been issued. My advise is to email Ford Thaxton of La La Land records, or the powers that be at Varese Sarabande records. They are the leaders in soundtracks right now, although neither appears to be on the 66 Batman bandwagon except for LLL reissuing the 1966 Batman movie soundtrack which was originally made by Film Score Monthly. Previous posts will tell you why FSM won't do a Batman TV series collection.

Who knows? Maybe an unknown source will pop up and do what we've all hoped for for so long? Maybe a new recording will be made by Nelson Riddle's son Christopher who has a big band himself? In the meantime, enjoy the epsiodes!

John
Music. BAT! Music.
FranchiseBrianSire

Post by FranchiseBrianSire »

Thank you John for your reply. In reference to the movie that came out after season 1, was there ever a soundtrack to that released? That had alot of good series music in it.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

FranchiseBrianSire wrote:Thank you John for your reply. In reference to the movie that came out after season 1, was there ever a soundtrack to that released? That had alot of good series music in it.
Yes, as stated, it was originally released by Film Score Monthly, but reissued by La La Land Records, it's sold out. Here's some other links:

It's available on ITUNES!! https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/batma ... d887567342

Or Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-The-Movie- ... B003IQHDO4

Here's the Film Score Monthly first issue--Great booklet of photos and in my opinion, a much better cover!
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Nelson-Rid ... B0006SSPQW

There's a few on ebay too.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
Pat The Batman Fan

Post by Pat The Batman Fan »

Hey guys, this definitely seems to be the best place to post this bit of information:

http://www.BeatoftheBat.com

It's my upcoming documentary about the music of the 66 series.

Let me know your thoughts!
And why doesn't Batman dance anymore? Remember the Batusi?
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Pat The Batman Fan wrote:Hey guys, this definitely seems to be the best place to post this bit of information:

http://www.BeatoftheBat.com

It's my upcoming documentary about the music of the 66 series.

Let me know your thoughts!
Well, not to nit-pick, but as many long time members here know, this is a sore point with me. It's not nananana, it's dah dah dah dah. See the actual sheet music below....As far as your site goes, I believe many people will not understand what it is you're trying to do. At first glance, I thought all it was about was the Batman Theme. As you know, there is SOOOOO much more to Batmusic that just the theme song. I applaude what it is you're doing, so feel free to contact me through PM with any questions. I have a great knowledge about all the Batmusic. Also, one of our Mods, Lee can help you too. I'm not the only one.

John
Attachments
batmantheme2.jpg
Music. BAT! Music.
Pat The Batman Fan

Post by Pat The Batman Fan »

Thanks very much for your response, John.

I do realize the lyrics at the end are actually "dah-dah"s rather than "na-na"s but I think when people sing the song in that manner, they are singing the "nah"s not to represent the lyrics, but rather the melody of the song. In other words they are not literally singing the end of the song where the actual "dah"s would be, but sounding out the tune from the beginning.

At least that's how I always interpreted it. But I can see and respect your point.

I definitely feel it's worth addressing this in the film… I have a section in the doc called "Word and Music" that would be perfect to do so.

I'll definitely connect with you soon through PM. Clearly you're an extremely passionate and knowledgable guy & I'm very eager to talk with yourself, Lee and other Bat-Music fans.

Thanks for the feedback and glad to connect with you!
And why doesn't Batman dance anymore? Remember the Batusi?
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Glad you took things in the spirit in which it was intended. I believe the best way to get the best results is to be honest. It's hard though because I don't want to discourage anyone. Yes? I like the chapter title. I believe it was one of the Ron Hicklin singers that made that remark? Anyway, good project and again, I'm all about help, so use me as a resource anytime.

Oh Pat, the three people you mention are the main ones, but don't forget that Warren Barker did the music for the Marsha Queen of Diamonds/Marsha Scheme of Diamonds episodes. Why? I have no idea. No one seems to know why Riddle didn't score it. Maybe you do? It could be that since his Bookworm cues were also used in the Black Widow episodes, they didn't want to do that again? I was always a little upset that Black Widow used the Bookworm's theme. I was very disappointed at the young age of 9 when I put those two together.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
Gotham

Post by Gotham »

You had a cassette recorder in 1968? Sure that wasn't reel to reel?
I may not agree with what you say at times, But I will fight for your right to say it!
1966.batmobile

Post by 1966.batmobile »

I've always liked the fight musc - I think the 3rd season version is what I am thinking. (12 string guitar instrumental)

I have both LPs shown above. It's not on the Riddle/Hefti LP nor is some of the villain music...
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Gotham wrote:You had a cassette recorder in 1968? Sure that wasn't reel to reel?
My my no brother, we was hipsters in the swingin suburbs....See below. Or just google 1968 cassette. We did have a mini reel to reel as well, and a lagre reel to reel, but cassette was the way to go go.

John
Attachments
$_35.JPG
$_35.JPG (10.71 KiB) Viewed 7636 times
Music. BAT! Music.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

See the ad of the times....Read the text, it's funny. Little tiny tapes inside plastic cases LOL :lol:

John
Attachments
71jtI0ygYyL._SL1354_.jpg
Music. BAT! Music.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

1966.batmobile wrote:I've always liked the fight musc - I think the 3rd season version is what I am thinking. (12 string guitar instrumental)

I have both LPs shown above. It's not on the Riddle/Hefti LP nor is some of the villain music...
'No, most music from the series is not on any LP or media in its pure form. That's what we need. A Batman collection of all the music, uncut and pure--no sound effects or dialogue.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
Tom1980

Post by Tom1980 »

1966.batmobile wrote:I've always liked the fight musc - I think the 3rd season version is what I am thinking. (12 string guitar instrumental)
Do you mean the one they always used against the Joker? That was a cool, exciting piece.

There was a piece they used a lot during season 2, it became a bit repetitive. But before then, there were a lot of unique themes, you could make a whole CD just from the fight music. An Old Macdonald theme for Egghead, chimes of a clock for Clock King. And plenty of others.