OFFICIAL BATMUSIC THREAD ADD TO IT WHEN YOU WILL

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

John Mack

Re: OFFICIAL BATMUSIC THREAD ADD TO IT WHEN YOU WILL

Post by John Mack »

epaddon wrote:I'd note that one reason why Riddle left in S3 was because he was that year doing all the music, including a new theme for the second season of the Ron Ely "Tarzan" series. When I was watching some episodes of it recently, I could hear some cues that Riddle was recycling from his "Batman" work including the "Bat Climb" music (whenever they would be climbing on the sides of the building).

During his "Batman" work, Riddle took time to do one episode of "The Man From UNCLE" and the producer thought the work sounded so much like "Batman" that he never hired him for UNCLE again.
Yes, if anyone wants to hear Riddle's UNCLE cues, it's available on CD from Film Score Monthly, now SAE on their Man from UNCLE vol. 2. It is Batmusic used on several episodes!

John
Music. BAT! Music.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Batguitarist, to reiterate something from the PM, even if publisher/ing rights are not an issue at all, public interest / demand seems to be the ultimate force that decides the chance of the score being released. Despite the apparent interest which brought Star Trek's series soundtrack to the consumer, i'm not sure how many Bat-66 fans and movie/TV music enthusiasts would be interested.

I've visited numerous film score sites / blogs over the years, and anytime the '66 series was a topic, some expressed interest, but the conversation always moved back to ideas about the cost of licensing and if any company would see it as a potentially profitable investment.

Unlike Batman, where the average person usually refers to (or sings) the Hefti theme song as their point of reference, Star Trek's soundtrack--beyond the main theme--has carved its own place in pop culture, with various cues even being referenced in satires or by comedians (ex. the "Amok Time" fight music). That's a significant cultural hook that translates into the potential for bigger earnings--and a motive for producing something as pricey as a series box set.

I know i'm casting a lot of doubt out there, but I think it is better to start with the "why not" before the "why" end of the interest.

Since we do not know if the actual series' official release (and the wealth of licensed products already on shelves--or on the horizon) means the soundtrack is part of the deal/plan, it could be a case of Fox just waiting to see how well the DVD sells before they make a move on anything.

Perhaps someone should contact La La Land or Silva Screen (among others) to see if there's any buzz about producing a series soundtrack box.

I've said it before, but after the series' official release, I would jump at the series soundtrack's release, as it is as much a character as the visuals.

And you're missing a good track on the Batboys LP called, "Cheatin' Charlie" that is really good as well. For those who don't know the Batboys LP, I put a photo here for you.

John
i have that album, and it is an interesting mix of compositions--not like anything one might hear on the TV series, but more of an "alternate universe" kind of work.
Beneath Wayne Manor
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

When I was a kid playing Batman with my friend, we used the Cheatin' Charlie track as "sneaking" music. Like Batman was sneaking into a villain's hideout. Then the "Batmusic" would start and a Batfight would ensue LOL.

I know the "Wrecking Crew" was the Marketts, but just WHO were "The Batboys?" Who were "The Dynamic Batmen" on th Panda LP? Who were "The Revengers?" I'd love to know who these "studio" groups were. Heck, I'd like to know the line up of the Billy May Orchestra in 66-67.

Here's the Batplayers for the Riddle line up for 1966-1968:

Leader (Conductor):
Nelson Riddle

Bass:
Meyer (Mike) Rubin

Woodwinds:
Russell Cheever, Gene Cipriano, Justin Gordon, Harry Klee, Abe Most, Edward J. Rosa, William A. Ulyate

French Horn:
Vincent N. DeRosa, Harry Schmidt

Trumpet:
John Clyman, Robert Fowler, Carroll "Cappy" Lewis, Clarence "Shorty" Sherock

Trombone:
Ray Klein, Richard "Dick" Nash, Tommy Pederson, Phillip A. Teele

Tuba:
George F. Boujie

Piano:
Artie Kane

Guitar:
Robert F. Bain, Herb Ellis, Alton R. "Al" Hendrickson, Les and Larry Elgart

Percussion:
Richard Cornell, Stan Levey, Harold L. "Hal" Rees

Orchestra Manager:
Urban Thielmann

Copyist:
Ralph Fera, Camillo Fidelibus, Dominic John Fidelibus, Ernest Rosecrans, Paul Sprosty

John
Music. BAT! Music.
ferris209

Post by ferris209 »

I'm trying like crazy to find a certain version of the Batman theme, it is what I call the "Rockabilly version." It starts out with hard slapping upright bass and then goes off into dang good, and smooth, guitar picking. I first heard it on a local radio show which uses it as a traffic background. I will get a sample posted as soon as I can. Hopefully, someone here can help me with this.
Turkey Bowinkle

Post by Turkey Bowinkle »

epaddon wrote: During his "Batman" work, Riddle took time to do one episode of "The Man From UNCLE" and the producer thought the work sounded so much like "Batman" that he never hired him for UNCLE again.
Riddle scored the Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea episode "Escape From Venice" and there's plenty of the score that sounds like it could be from his Batman scores, even though the Voyage episode predates the series by one year. Some cues sound like some you would hear for King Tut!
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

ferris209 wrote:I'm trying like crazy to find a certain version of the Batman theme, it is what I call the "Rockabilly version." It starts out with hard slapping upright bass and then goes off into dang good, and smooth, guitar picking. I first heard it on a local radio show which uses it as a traffic background. I will get a sample posted as soon as I can. Hopefully, someone here can help me with this.
Well, the one I'm familar with is one from the "Country Fried TV Tunes" release, but it isn't a bass and guitars at the start, but rather banjos---so I doubt it's the one you're looking for. If you can post a snipit of it, we may be able to help ID it.

Here's the one I mention. It is on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb4WdKAD1cs

John
Music. BAT! Music.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Turkey Bowinkle wrote:
epaddon wrote: During his "Batman" work, Riddle took time to do one episode of "The Man From UNCLE" and the producer thought the work sounded so much like "Batman" that he never hired him for UNCLE again.
Riddle scored the Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea episode "Escape From Venice" and there's plenty of the score that sounds like it could be from his Batman scores, even though the Voyage episode predates the series by one year. Some cues sound like some you would hear for King Tut!
Wow. I'd like to hear those. I wonder if VTBOS has any soundtracks out? I will have to do some research. Thanks TB!

John
Music. BAT! Music.
ferris209

Post by ferris209 »

Well, the one I'm familar with is one from the "Country Fried TV Tunes" release, but it isn't a bass and guitars at the start, but rather banjos---so I doubt it's the one you're looking for. If you can post a snipit of it, we may be able to help ID it.

John[/quote]

Thanks a million John! Here's the best I could get, you've got to try and ignore the traffic guy.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/757 ... batman.mp3
Turkey Bowinkle

Batguitarist wrote:
Turkey Bowinkle wrote:
Wow. I'd like to hear those. I wonder if VTBOS has any soundtracks out? I will have to do some research. Thanks TB!

John
The only VTTBOTS soundtracks on disc are for the pilot episode (Paul Sawtell), and for "Jonah And The Whale" by Jerry Goldsmith.
Turkey Bowinkle

"...Another Glorious Day In Gotham City..."

Music that reminds you of the familiar opening scene in almost every episode, accompanied by William Dozier's iconic narration and stock footage of a major metropolitan city (usually NYC), composed by Nelson Riddle can be heard in other sources outside the Batman series.

There is music for a montage of the repair of an old riverboat from the film 4 FOR TEXAS that sounds very much like this, even though violins are used in the music, an instrument that was almost never employed in the series' scores. Unfortunately, I don't believe any available recordings of this score exists.

Riddle composed music titled "Symphony Of The North" that I have only been able to find on an old audio cassette in the past. There is a cue titled "Government House' that also has that exact feel, and the fact that no string instruments are used makes one believe that it could have been seamlessly edited into the soundtrack of any episode on the show.

One recording that is available is the soundtrack for Stanley Kubrick's 1962 film LOLITA, one of the cues Riddle scored for the film as the film flashes back to the main character's (James Mason) arrival to the U.S. via airplane. again, even though violins are used, the tune definitely puts one in mind of the opening scene of many a bat-episode!
ferris209

Post by ferris209 »

Batguitarist wrote:
ferris209 wrote:I'm trying like crazy to find a certain version of the Batman theme, it is what I call the "Rockabilly version." It starts out with hard slapping upright bass and then goes off into dang good, and smooth, guitar picking. I first heard it on a local radio show which uses it as a traffic background. I will get a sample posted as soon as I can. Hopefully, someone here can help me with this.

John
Well, that's awesome. I emailed the head guy, and a few of his people, about this song on his radio show inquiring about this song. He even talked about me and played a better sampling of it, even he can't find it anymore. One clip is the whole section talking about me and the other is just the song portion.

To make it clear, I am a musician, rockabilly-ish blue grass old fashioned country music honky tonk, kind of guy in my off time. In addition, I'm a big Batman fan of all itinerations, from the 60's Batman (which was obviously my first exposure) to the 1989 "Batman", and especially the Nolan series, The Dark Knight mostly due to Ledger's wonderful interpretation of the Joker. I also love the Arkham video game series. Through it all, the '66 Batman holds a special place, as well as the theme. Which is why this version is so dang cool to me and I must have it!

My profession compels me to love the Bat, I am a police officer and he was a great detective.

Russ Martin (a big 60's Batman fan to the point that he owns a real Batmobile and a radio star in DFW) mentions and discusses me. -----> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/757 ... t%20me.mp3

The best cleanest version taken from the above, with lots of chatter after the start until the finish. ------> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/757 ... batman.mp3
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Wow, well you can't say you didn't try. When it comes to Batmusic, I've had this happen to me many times. The most noteworthy time was in 1970. I had been listening to a radio show with my dad and on comes this Batman Theme being used on some segment on the show. I had never heard it before. Like you Ferris, I had to HAVE IT! Realize, I was only 8 at the time. I bothered my dad so much that he looked up the number for the station and guess what? They just had recorded it and then stored the album away. Nobody knew anything about it. It wasn't until I was 14 or so when I found Al Hirt's, The Hornet Meets the Hornet LP that I realized there was that Batman Theme from so many years ago. Now, I have recordings over 200 different versions of the Theme, not to mention many Batman Ballad type songs that tell a story about Batman in one way or another.

Here's one of my latest favorites by the Brian Setzer Orchestra----Notice his orchestra in the background all wearing masks! Oh, and for you younger people, Brian Setzer was the lead singer for the Stray Cats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKFb2av88BQ

John
Music. BAT! Music.
batbelfry

Post by batbelfry »

I see Amazon shows a listing for what appears to be a re-issue of the TV show soundtrack CD and Vinyl...

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-TV-O-S-T-N ... rds=batman

It shows a release date of October 7,2014. Anyone know anything about this? Maybe it's a remaster as well.
NJ_Batfan

Post by NJ_Batfan »

Thanks for posting this information. I bought the soundtrack on cassette when it was re-released in 1989 and again a year or so later when it was on CD, but vinyl has somehow eluded me. I would gladly buy it for the cover photo and if the liner notes appeared as on the original. It would, as they say on ebay, display nicely.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

batbelfry wrote:I see Amazon shows a listing for what appears to be a re-issue of the TV show soundtrack CD and Vinyl...

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-TV-O-S-T-N ... rds=batman

It shows a release date of October 7,2014. Anyone know anything about this? Maybe it's a remaster as well.
WOW! Thanks for posting! Here's something strange about this though: I typed in EXACTLY the title as shown and Amazon could not find it. If you search for anything relating to the 66 soundtrack, the listing does not appear. So, my question is.....How did you find this? Glad you did though.

John
Music. BAT! Music.