OFFICIAL BATMUSIC THREAD ADD TO IT WHEN YOU WILL

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Pat The Batman Fan

Re: OFFICIAL BATMUSIC THREAD ADD TO IT WHEN YOU WILL

Post by Pat The Batman Fan »

I forgot to mention I spoke to someone involved with a couple of the re-releases of Riddle's Bat-music and he gave me an alternate explanation for something we had discussed on the To The Batpoles! show.

On the show we were discussing why the Riddle TV soundtrack had dialogue from the show included. My theory was it was a sales thing to make it more appealing to kids, who clearly were the intended audience. They kiddied it up, basically.

The person I spoke to offered this additional thought on the subject: Because they didn't have VCRs back then, it was also a way for kids to "re-watch" a little bit of the show by playing the record.

Good point!

And here's another Bat-music prop I put together for the film, The Bat-Gramophone:
batgramophone.jpg
And why doesn't Batman dance anymore? Remember the Batusi?
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Thanks Pat! Glad you're feeling better. Sam really did have a busy job! And sure, all the villains had their own theme music or cues, the exception being the reused Bookworm cue for Black Widow and freakin Llord Ffogg. Also, the Catwoman cue that unfortunately got coupled to the second part "Battrap" intro music no matter which villain of the week it was. That wasn't very well thought out.

Thanks for the update! Keep us posted.
Music. BAT! Music.
Pat The Batman Fan

Thanks John... sometimes it seems like I'm more sick than healthy :( but we soldier on don't we!

"Batman" had a pretty hectic schedule all the way around so there was bound to be some last minute stitching in all aspects of the production. I'm sure you've seen some of the hastily painted props and hand written labels from time to time. The sound and music department was no different. That's not a slam on anyone's effort BTW... they were all amazing talents doing what they had to do to get the job done... sometimes time just runs out!

Quick update... I'm pleased to announce Chad & Jeremy will be participating in the film! And I'm due to film some stuff with Johnny Green this weekend as well. I'll keep you updated!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Pat The Batman Fan wrote:
Quick update... I'm pleased to announce Chad & Jeremy will be participating in the film! And I'm due to film some stuff with Johnny Green this weekend as well. I'll keep you updated!
Awesome news! Looking forward to hearing more.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

I'll post this several places to see if I can get an answer on this, but the La La Land Records release of the movie soundtrack has always confused me with the statement on their bonus track. It reads, "features the bonus track “Submarine Battle,” in which Matessino cut together tracks to re-create the score to the submarine climax as heard in the film."

Now, I own the release. I've seen the movie hundreds of times. What are they speaking of? The submarine climax music is the track called, Attack and the fight on the deck ensues. If that's the scene they're talking about, their bonus track doesn't make sense. What other climax scene with the submarine could they mean?
Music. BAT! Music.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

Could they mean the scene where the Batboat chases the sub and Robin fires Bat Charges? There are several cuts between the boat and the sub with dramatic music?
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

clavierankh wrote:Could they mean the scene where the Batboat chases the sub and Robin fires Bat Charges? There are several cuts between the boat and the sub with dramatic music?
That would be my initial thought, too.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Ok guys, I'll buy that. The word final threw me off..
Music. BAT! Music.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

I'll be giving thoughts and impressions of the music from the animated movie within that thread. I want to keep it all together, so be looking for that. Thanks to Andy for making that possible.
Music. BAT! Music.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

I don't know if this has been discussed. It seems very little series music was used in the 1966 movie. Were there contract problems where Hefti and Riddle wrote their music for the series and they would have to pay more? Maybe they wanted to use the movie's budget to finance more music for the second season.

I re member being disappointed in the final fight scene they didn't use the real music.
GaryMF

Post by GaryMF »

Is there an instrumental version of the Batgirl theme (i.e. without the lyrics being sung?)

Even a short snipped. I want to make a ringtone.
Pat The Batman Fan

clavierankh wrote:I don't know if this has been discussed. It seems very little series music was used in the 1966 movie. Were there contract problems where Hefti and Riddle wrote their music for the series and they would have to pay more? Maybe they wanted to use the movie's budget to finance more music for the second season.
Interesting question. I'll keep that in mind as I'm digging into more research for the film.
GaryMF wrote:Is there an instrumental version of the Batgirl theme (i.e. without the lyrics being sung?)

Even a short snipped. I want to make a ringtone.
In the third season Billy incorporated the "Batgirl Theme" into the fight music, usually in the second half. You could try isolating some of that.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Absolutely Pat, good call!
Music. BAT! Music.
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

Posted this in the Bat Events thread: The Bat Swings!
TheBatSwings-banner.jpg
[/url]

(In case some of you aren't trolling that forum.)
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

This great news! I hope they record their performance!
Music. BAT! Music.