OFFICIAL BATMUSIC THREAD ADD TO IT WHEN YOU WILL

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

John Mack

Re: OFFICIAL BATMUSIC THREAD ADD TO IT WHEN YOU WILL

Post by John Mack »

Also came across this thread. Sorry I missed it!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4608
Music. BAT! Music.
Rockatansky

Post by Rockatansky »

Great topic John,

Read all nine glorious pages this morning. Are you able to produce a quick list of all the essential soundtrack and other notable music releases batfans must own? I got my 'The Man From Uncle' CD in the 90's with only the theme included and a couple of years ago scored the film's soundtrack CD:

For example, the list might look like this:

The Bat Boys ‎– Batman
Label: Design Records (2) ‎– DLP-249
Format: Vinyl, LP
Released: 1966
Tracks: 10

Neal Hefti - His Orchestra & Chorus* ‎– Batman Theme And 19 Hefti Bat Songs
Label: Razor & Tie ‎– RE 2153-2, BMG Special Products ‎– DRC1-1491
Format: CD, Album
Released: 1997
Tracks: 20

Thanks for the bat tune listening tips as I've never heard of the Batboys or the Hefti album. Anyone got a tube link to The Bat Boys release (can only find four of the 10 tracks)?

Keep up the great work!
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

I can tell you that the Marketts LP is a must have/listen. It's available on CD and their version of the theme peaked at #17 on billboard in 1966. I don't like calling them the Wrecking Crew as bassist, Carol Kaye, who played with them can't stand that term, but that's actually who they are. Look up the term on Wikipedia.
Attachments
51DHMnYFvFL.jpg
51DHMnYFvFL.jpg (45.72 KiB) Viewed 20317 times
Music. BAT! Music.
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

greetings citizens, can anyone recommend a version of the theme that has the " Bat spin" in the beginning? I have purchased both the movie an TV soundtracks, and Neil Hefti's album. No luck. Any help?
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

batrunner1966 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:12 am greetings citizens, can anyone recommend a version of the theme that has the " Bat spin" in the beginning? I have purchased both the movie an TV soundtracks, and Neil Hefti's album. No luck. Any help?
Sure. Jan and Dean's version from 1966 from their LP, Jan and Dean meet Batman has it. It also has a horrible triangle being clanked throughout the song too lol.
The version from the TVs greatest hits volume 1 has it, but also has two unknown voice actors playing Batman and Robin doing the atomic batteries to power thing.
Brian Setzer's orchestra does the spin sound too, see it here:

https://youtu.be/EKFb2av88BQ

There are so many others too. I can't think of the names of the artists right now. Ivan and Lee may know, but at least those three are good starts.
Music. BAT! Music.
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

I just posted some live and streaming event details for The Bat Swings! April 14 concert in this thread.

I'll share some music-specific notes in this thread, however:
Today, I stopped into rehearsal and the band was closing out their first run-throughs of "Kitka" from Riddle's film score. Last week, they were rehearsing "To The Airport" as well as a medley that ended with the main theme.

I can't stress how exciting and surreal it is to hear this music (important parts of my childhood soundtrack) performed "at my office," so to speak.

It's heavily inspired by the feature film score, but I understand some of the other tunes are based on tracks from Riddle's series "soundtrack." It's live jazz, so of course there are new and improvised bits, and everything sounds WONDERFUL.

Here's some composer info from an early draft of production notes:
For tonight’s performance, we have hired three top arrangers, from the Aaron Copeland School of Music, and Lincoln Centers Afro Cuban jazz ensemble, arranger Michael Philip Mossman. We’ve also contracted saxophonist and arranger Harry Allen, and from the United States Air Force Airmen of Note, acclaimed arranger Mark Taylor.
There will be some theatre student performers to narrate funny and timely dialogue from the show between tunes. CANNOT WAIT. Check out the link above and bookmark the streaming page(s) if you can't make the show!
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Can't wait! Please see my comments in your thread, and thanks for all you do in helping keep us in the loop here on my thread.
Music. BAT! Music.
doob

Post by doob »

I always wished there would be a Volume II of the Batman TV Soundtrack. The Catwoman Theme, Batgirl Theme, Season 3 fight music & the "rocked-up" version of the Joker Theme from Surfs Up....Joker's Under- among others. One can dream....
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

doob wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:44 am I always wished there would be a Volume II of the Batman TV Soundtrack. The Catwoman Theme, Batgirl Theme, Season 3 fight music & the "rocked-up" version of the Joker Theme from Surfs Up....Joker's Under- among others. One can dream....
Rather than a second soundtrack, how about starting fresh, and have a box set featuring all the music of Riddle, Barker, and May.
Music. BAT! Music.
Pat The Batman Fan

Post by Pat The Batman Fan »

John Mack wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:48 am Rather than a second soundtrack, how about starting fresh, and have a box set featuring all the music of Riddle, Barker, and May.
THIS!
And why doesn't Batman dance anymore? Remember the Batusi?
doob

Post by doob »

John Mack wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:48 am
Rather than a second soundtrack, how about starting fresh, and have a box set featuring all the music of Riddle, Barker, and May.
I cannot say that I hate this idea....
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Had some time on my hands today, a situation that I haven't had for about 4 months, and took the decision to email Ford Thaxton of La La Land records. They're the company that currently took over releasing the 1966 movie soundtrack yet again, with an absolutely brilliant CD artwork cover on their latest release. They are currently the company that has soundtracks for Batman: The Animated Series, Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders, Jonny Quest and a whole host of other film scores.

My question was simple: Is there a reason they can share as to why no complete 66 soundtrack has not been released? Notice, I didn't ask if they had plans to release one (asked and answered in 2013, with the answer being, "We'd love to!") but no reason as to why they haven't or could not do so.

I'm sure many of you are saying I'm beating a dead bat here, but my querry continued with: With the release of the series on DVD and the merchandising that continues to be made, did the deal(s) not include the music?

I know Pat is approaching his love of the music via a documentary, but I am approaching things with the end result in a music release. Problem being the same thing to us commoners as the age old question of why there wasn't (at the time) a DVD/ VHS release of the series.

So, my fellow Batfans, while we all sit and watch our wonderful series on our huge flat screens, take a listen to the music and think of me and Pat and so many others who are STILL caught in the no answer vortex. For us, the battle has not ended.

This thread is for the music, but to veer off course for a moment, I'd like to add that people (myself amongst them) who also want to see new photo/artwork trading cards, or a re-release of the Bat Laff and Riddler Back cards, join in and ask the same question I am of the music----Why?
Music. BAT! Music.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

I received an answer today. They told me it's their holy grail on their wish list but there are rights issues. They didn't say what the rights issues were.
Music. BAT! Music.
batbelfry

Post by batbelfry »

I wonder if Kritzerland would be worth writing to? They just did a great job on the soundtrack to "A Boy Named Charlie Brown", which was a very similar situation to Batman...both from the late 60's, both had a vinyl release at the time which left room for improvement, and both with perpetual "rights issues". I know nothing else about them, other than that the new Charlie Brown OST was very well done, and a huge improvement over the old vinyl record, both in terms of quality and content. Food for thought, anyway.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Pat The Batman Fan wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:58 pm
John Mack wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:48 am Rather than a second soundtrack, how about starting fresh, and have a box set featuring all the music of Riddle, Barker, and May.
THIS!
^ THAT!
Beneath Wayne Manor