OFFICIAL BATMUSIC THREAD ADD TO IT WHEN YOU WILL

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

John Mack

Re: OFFICIAL BATMUSIC THREAD ADD TO IT WHEN YOU WILL

Post by John Mack »

I agree. But who knows. Maybe the music rights haven't been completely hashed out yet. Afterall, that otherwise cool Batusi dance figure did not use Riddle's original track.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
Frenchy1939

Post by Frenchy1939 »

Bat-Tiger wrote:Here's a clip of my favorite Batfight music. I hope this doesn't break any rules.

Dude! That clip as well as the intro to this episode where joker puts hot dog in the trash can, has some of the best music! It's almost a music video! Yes, if anybody knows how to get a copy of that music, or knows who the musicians were, let us know! I don't know if that music was used in any other episodes.

Seriously cool!!!!!
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

So, lets discuss the possibilities of a complete CD release of all the music, including the Marsha Queen of Diamonds music by Warren Barker of Bewitched fame and Billy May from the third season. I still don't know why Nelson Riddle was replaced just for those two episodes. I never knew Barker did those episodes until I started reading the credits years ago.
Music. BAT! Music.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Well, ok...I'll just keep adding to my own thread. That's ok. One day, maybe someone will join me again. It's lonely out here in Batmusic land. I guess with as little enthusiasm as there there seems to be here on the board, it's no wonder there's little chance of a complete soundtrack being made with only the music.

But, now with the advent of the DVDs, I have taken to making all the music from the series into MP4 files. Most tracks have the dialogue and sound effects in place, but I had to start some place. It's really cool to hear the tracks back to back when they stand on their own with no dialogue. As the same music was used over and over in the series, I was able to edit a lot of it into music only tracks. Riddle's use of the movie's cues in season 2 really helped me out as well, ie: the Green Hornet/Batman fight is actually the movie fight music from aboard the Penguin's submarine, found on the FSM and LA LA Land releases of the movie soundtrack. It's fun to note that Riddle used the "Battrap" music from a Perrfect crime as a standard Battrap track in multiple episodes even though it contains the "Catwoman theme song" cue in it.

Now with the access to the DVDs, I used the program called Audacity to record the tracks and edit them. One of my favorite tracks is from the Penguin episode, The Bird's last Jest. Right at the beginning of that episode, when Batman and Robin are heading to the pool with Chief O' Hara in the trunk. The music sounds like it could be from The Green Hornet. Anyway, anyone curious as to what I have done, can post here or send me a PM.
Music. BAT! Music.
CousinMillsy

Post by CousinMillsy »

John,

I'd be very interested to hear what you've done so far. I've started using Audacity too and am learning, little by little. Depending on how the sound is embedded on the DVD, I understand that Audacity has a tool that can help to eliminate/minimize dialogue...fx seem to be harder to eliminate. Keep up the good work!

Jim
Lee Kirkham

Post by Lee Kirkham »

Hey there John, sounds like a cool project, extracting some of the shows music with Audacity. Please keep me informed on your progress.

Also...

I posted a separate thread on this as well, but thought it was applicable here too. I re-discovered an old podcast I had recorded with the idea of making it a weekly thing. The experiment never materialized, but this test podcast still remains. Give it a listen and see what a huge dork I am.

The Bat Music Podcast, Eps. 1
I find you to be odious, abhorrent and insegrevious.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Hi Lee. We're dorks together then. Kinda like Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid jumping off the cliff! I'll keep you up to date and get back to you when I listen to your podcast today. Thanks for being YOU!

I listened to your podcast as I was cooking dinner, Lee. My family and I really enjoyed it. I have to dig back through my archives to get the name of that group you enter and exit your show with. Wasn't Voivoid, but can you save me searching for days and LMK? Thanks. Great one off show. Oh how we could soooo geek out on other shows. The average Batfan here has no idea :ugeek: :ugeek:
Music. BAT! Music.
Lee Kirkham

Post by Lee Kirkham »

Maybe I should start making regular trips down to Tucson with my MacBook and a couple of mics?
:shock: ;)

John Mack wrote:Hi Lee. We're dorks together then. Kinda like Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid jumping off the cliff! I'll keep you up to date and get back to you when I listen to your podcast today. Thanks for being YOU!

I listened to your podcast as I was cooking dinner, Lee. My family and I really enjoyed it. I have to dig back through my archives to get the name of that group you enter and exit your show with. Wasn't Voivoid, but can you save me searching for days and LMK? Thanks. Great one off show. Oh how we could soooo geek out on other shows. The average Batfan here has no idea :ugeek: :ugeek:
I find you to be odious, abhorrent and insegrevious.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

John Mack wrote:
But, now with the advent of the DVDs, I have taken to making all the music from the series into MP4 files. Most tracks have the dialogue and sound effects in place, but I had to start some place. It's really cool to hear the tracks back to back when they stand on their own with no dialogue. As the same music was used over and over in the series, I was able to edit a lot of it into music only tracks. Riddle's use of the movie's cues in season 2 really helped me out as well, ie: the Green Hornet/Batman fight is actually the movie fight music from aboard the Penguin's submarine, found on the FSM and LA LA Land releases of the movie soundtrack. It's fun to note that Riddle used the "Battrap" music from a Perrfect crime as a standard Battrap track in multiple episodes even though it contains the "Catwoman theme song" cue in it.

Now with the access to the DVDs, I used the program called Audacity to record the tracks and edit them. One of my favorite tracks is from the Penguin episode, The Bird's last Jest. Right at the beginning of that episode, when Batman and Robin are heading to the pool with Chief O' Hara in the trunk. The music sounds like it could be from The Green Hornet. Anyway, anyone curious as to what I have done, can post here or send me a PM.
Interesting project. i would love to hear lean (or assembled) tracks from "Better Luck, Next Time," specifically:

1.The music as the Batmobile's tires are deflated/inflated/discover the Catwoman's van.
2. The entire final chase in the cavern.
3. The music while Catwoman is hanging over the pit, falls, and the coda / conversation between Batman and Robin after her fall.

With all the of the media coverage and effort it took to get the series for home entertainment, it is still inexplicable why the music--easily one of the most memorable scores ever written for TV--and as much a defining character as the actors or costumes. I feel so many Bat-fans and film score aficionados would make a complete series soundtrack an easy sell-out product.

I'm not sure if the following has been mentioned at some earlier time, but i think its Interesting how composers end up borrowing from their earlier compositions. Nelson Riddle's "Bookworm" theme has direct roots in Riddle's score for the 1962 film, Lolita. Scroll to 45 seconds into the track titled "Quilty," and it will be clear...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqdx8u8R2nQ

...and at 2:04 in the Batman clip...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMc85H2RwOc
Beneath Wayne Manor
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

CousinMillsy wrote:John,

I'd be very interested to hear what you've done so far. I've started using Audacity too and am learning, little by little. Depending on how the sound is embedded on the DVD, I understand that Audacity has a tool that can help to eliminate/minimize dialogue...fx seem to be harder to eliminate. Keep up the good work!

Jim
Hi Jim, Well Audacity can eliminate SOME, but the way the episodes were recorded, the dialogue and sound effects are right "Smack in the Middle" lol of the recorded sound. To truly have the music only, you'd have to record directly from the music track on the masters, which to be honest with you, may not even be set up that way. I really don't know. I know the movie was recorded that way as evidenced by the BlueRay edition having a "music only" option on it. Thanks for the well wishes.
Music. BAT! Music.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Lee Kirkham wrote:Maybe I should start making regular trips down to Tucson with my MacBook and a couple of mics?
:shock: ;)

John Mack wrote:Hi Lee. We're dorks together then. Kinda like Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid jumping off the cliff! I'll keep you up to date and get back to you when I listen to your podcast today. Thanks for being YOU!

Come on down! Unfortuntely, I'm working nights right now, but there's always my days off. :D BTW Lee, please let me know who that band was that opened and closed your podcast.I know I have it someplace, but things are kinda in disarray at the moment.
Music. BAT! Music.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Interesting project. i would love to hear lean (or assembled) tracks from "Better Luck, Next Time," specifically:

1.The music as the Batmobile's tires are deflated/inflated/discover the Catwoman's van.
2. The entire final chase in the cavern.
3. The music while Catwoman is hanging over the pit, falls, and the coda / conversation between Batman and Robin after her fall.

With all the of the media coverage and effort it took to get the series for home entertainment, it is still inexplicable why the music--easily one of the most memorable scores ever written for TV--and as much a defining character as the actors or costumes. I feel so many Bat-fans and film score aficionados would make a complete series soundtrack an easy sell-out product.

I'm not sure if the following has been mentioned at some earlier time, but i think its Interesting how composers end up borrowing from their earlier compositions. Nelson Riddle's "Bookworm" theme has direct roots in Riddle's score for the 1962 film, Lolita. Scroll to 45 seconds into the track titled "Quilty," and it will be clear...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqdx8u8R2nQ

...and at 2:04 in the Batman clip...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMc85H2RwOc
Beneath Wayne Manor

VERY COOL! Thank you! PM me and we can discuss letting you hear some Batmusic!
Music. BAT! Music.
Spikor1982

Post by Spikor1982 »

I would love to own a box set of the complete series scores. Star Trek and Lost in Space have released similar sets in the last year or so. If copyrights could get ironed out, I could see Film Score Monthly, Intrada or La-La Land releasing a set in a limited run. I would be fully on board for something like that.

the 1966 soundtrack LP was reissued on CD around the time the series was released on BluRay, but that is totally a novelty disc with hardly [any?] real music from the series.

I'd want all the library cues, the villain themes, the intros, unused cues, etc.....everything, even Johnny Green and the Green Men from Surf's Up Joker!, They probably wouldn't license the music from Chad & Jeremy, Paul Revere, etc but that's ok, have all that stuff anyways :-) . I would love to own something like that.
“It is the duty of every good citizen of Gotham City to report meeting a man from Mars in a public park."
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Oh the 1966 soundtrack had some "real music" on it, but I know what you mean. Only a few tracks are pure music without cuts from the show. But with my editing abilities, you should hear what I was able to do.

For those who haven't heard the soundtrack, give it a listen. I could go into detail but it's late, ummm early here.
Music. BAT! Music.
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Our latest TO THE BATPOLES podcast is a talk with Pat the Batman Fan about the documentary he's making about the music of the show!

http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/037-pat ... of-the-bat
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"