Gleeps, it's Batman

Re: 1966 newspaper articles

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

Thank for these, crazedvillain!
High C

Post by High C »

Thanks for sharing, crazedvillain!

I found it quite interesting that Dozier already was listing Robert Morley and Bette Davis as second-season villains. We know Morley originally was set to play Sandman. I think Davis was going to be Ma Parker.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Holy Outstanding.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

I love these old clips. Thanks for sharing them.

The biggest surprise to me was learning that Burgess Meredith's son was in Tony and the Tigers with Hunt and Tony Sales, but the top bat-surprise was the inclusion of Bette Davis in Dozier's season 2 villain roster. She was hardly the motherly type, and 4-5 years after "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" she was a little long in the tooth to be playing Legs's mom. (Grandma Barker, maybe?) But the only other season 2 villainess not accounted for in Dozier's list is Marsha, and the idea of Davis charming Robin, even with the aid of potions, would have been creepy.

It's hard to imagine a star of Davis's magnitude, however dimmed it might have been by 1967, taking a second fiddle role, but might Aunt Hilda have been the part she was slotted for?

Cheers,

QQ
High C

Post by High C »

Quillpen Quirch wrote:I love these old clips. Thanks for sharing them.

The biggest surprise to me was learning that Burgess Meredith's son was in Tony and the Tigers with Hunt and Tony Sales, but the top bat-surprise was the inclusion of Bette Davis in Dozier's season 2 villain roster. She was hardly the motherly type, and 4-5 years after "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" she was a little long in the tooth to be playing Legs's mom. (Grandma Barker, maybe?) But the only other season 2 villainess not accounted for in Dozier's list is Marsha, and the idea of Davis charming Robin, even with the aid of potions, would have been creepy.

It's hard to imagine a star of Davis's magnitude, however dimmed it might have been by 1967, taking a second fiddle role, but might Aunt Hilda have been the part she was slotted for?
It wasn't Marsha--Dozier had planned that for Zsa Zsa Gabor but she was unavailable for the shoot, so he turned to Carolyn Jones instead.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Quillpen Quirch wrote:It's hard to imagine a star of Davis's magnitude, however dimmed it might have been by 1967, taking a second fiddle role, but might Aunt Hilda have been the part she was slotted for?

Cheers,

QQ
Not really. That same year, she did a guest shot on Gunsmoke--though she did get the Tallulah Bankhead treatment with billing as "Miss Bette Davis". In '67, she also did THREE guest appearances on the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. So, while she was still getting star billing, the roles were fading away.
High C

Post by High C »

Per Bat-scholar Joel Eisner, Davis was Dozier's original choice for Ma Parker, according to his private correspondence.

http://tothebatpoles.blogspot.com/2011/ ... nd-44.html

crazedvillain

Post by crazedvillain »

Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

I'm going to say the item on Burt's reading ability MIGHT be an exaggeration.
Attachments
DozierWard.jpg
DozierWard.jpg (52.82 KiB) Viewed 3700 times
Reader.jpg
Reader.jpg (41.8 KiB) Viewed 3700 times