The Bat Shield- where did it go?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

svl

The Bat Shield- where did it go?

Post by svl »

A little discussion happening elsewhere on the Web has me pondering- did the Bat Shield actually go into the Utility Belt as some claim, or as I always assumed into some secret compartment in the cape?
Brian M

Re: The Bat Shield- where did it go?

Post by Brian M »

I don't remember the episode, but you can see that Adam just pulls his cape around the shield and then just sets it down and moves away. The folded shield was way too big for the belt.
svl

Post by svl »

Exactly. I believe it goes into the cape.

Anyone have a show script that spells this out, by chance?
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Same place their civilian duds go when they go down the Bat-poles! :)
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

I was always under the impression that it was passed to someone laid on the ground out of the shot.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Batman places the shield into the same model of ACME Magic PocketTM used by Warner Bros cartoon characters who reach behind their backs to produce mallets, anvils and sticks of dynamite.

The Magic Pocket is in the rear pouch of the utility belt, next to the pouch containing the "portable hole" (sadly cut from it's one appearance in Season 3).
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Bonded Hawk

Post by Bonded Hawk »

Bag of holding?
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

[BBvideo 425,350]http://youtu.be/veV0fe478t0[/BBvideo]
Jim K, Bat fan

Post by Jim K, Bat fan »

A. Pennyworth wrote:[BBvideo 425,350]http://youtu.be/veV0fe478t0[/BBvideo]
:lol: That is great! I remember seeing that in another thread, and was hoping someone would repost it here.

In order to keep the air of mystery, maybe they should have filmed Robin like Elvis - from the waist up!
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

HOLY KEVLAR! LOL! No WAY does the shield fit inside that little cape. When Robin stretches it out to stick it back inside, it barely goes around him. I can see it fitting inside Batman's cape. While I'm here I do have a question I've always wanted to ask - if Batman carries it around along with his other tools, like the sprays, the antidotes, etc., where was it, for instance, when Catwoman shot them with "trank" darts - she held them at bay and gave this long speech of their impending effect on them before she pulled the trigger. That would have given him ample time to take it out.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

From a humorous angle the answer to this question was too easy - like shooting fish in a barrel! :lol:

That aside, as a kid I always assumed, he carried it in his cape, but I would then start to wonder how he would then sit in the Batmobile? This and other questions (such as changing clothes/costumes on the Bat-poles) always entered my young mind only to be forgotten scant seconds/minutes later by whatever new action grabbed my attention.

Of course, now we know they just placed it down out of camera view (sometimes not too well), but that was the magic of the show - taking us somewhere we wished we could be. 8-)
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

Off camera as they were about to board the Bat-mobile, whoever had it packed inside stopped to remove it and toss it in the bat-trunk. However, it would have been a good surface for lumbar support if they kept it in.
svl

Post by svl »

Lots of funny here, but I'm looking for a "serious" answer. Did the writers ever put it into the script? I imagine they had to, as in "after deflecting the Penguin's barrage of bullets, Batman tucks the shield neatly away back into the cape" or the like.

Anyone? Bueller?
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

You have already got your answer. A prop person grabs the shield or it is set down on the ground out of camera range. As for what it says in the scripts, what diff? Batman stores away his Batshield--making it look like it disappears in his utility belt :o

John
Music. BAT! Music.
svl

Post by svl »

No, John, I didn't get my answer.

I already knew it was being set down, my curiosity lies in where the writers MEANT for it to disappear- I've always believed it was into a secret pocket in the cape, and not the belt. I would imagine a script would detail this, therefore my request.