Villains and Characters from the Comics

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

AndyFish

Villains and Characters from the Comics

Post by AndyFish »

From the Destined to be Awful thread I'm wondering if everyone is clear as to who was created for the show and who was already in the comics. Here's how they shape up (at least as far as I know);

Alfred- Comics - although he died in the June 1964 issue of Detective Comics and was still dead when the show premiered. The comics brought him back in the form of the villain The Outsider in October 1966.

Aunt Harriet- Comics- she arrives in the same issue Alfred died in (Det 328) in June 1964, to "care for" Bruce and Dick now that Alfred was dead. She is Dick Grayson's maternal aunt.

Commissioner Gordon- Comics- He is the only other character to appear in Batman's comic adventures since the very beginning. He predates even Alfred.

Chief O'Hara- Show- He first appears in comic books in August 1966. His character was killed in a later Batman comic series.

Batgirl - Comics? - Although technically there was a character in Batman in the early 60s called Batgirl, she was Batwoman's niece and wore a red and yellow costume like Robin's. The Batgirl as we know her, Gordon's daughter-- is introduced in 1967 during the show's second season hiatus.

The Joker- Comics-- he's been there since Batman #1.

The Catwoman- Comics - She's was there in Batman #1 too, although she was known only as The Cat.

Penguin - Comics-- introduced in the early 40s

Riddler - Comics -- Mid forties

Mayor Linseed - Show - Gotham has had several different mayors over the years, and seldom do we see a regular character.

King Tut - Show - although he's since been introduced into the comics

Olga - Show

Egghead - Show - Although a character of the same name and similar costume appeared in Marvel Comics in the early 60s.

Marsha - Show

Shame - Show

The Mad Hatter - Comics

Lord Pfogg and Lady Peasoup - Show

The Green Hornet and Kato - Radio and Comics

Eivol Ekdol - Comics

Zelda - Comics -- although not a woman.

False Face - Comics

The Puzzler - Comics -- although in Superman comics

Mister Freeze - Comics? -- but he was called Mister Zero, the Flash also faced Captain Cold-- another very similar character.

Bookworm- Show-- later appeared in comics.

Clock King - Comics-- but as an enemy of Green Arrow

Black Widow - Show-- but there was a Marvel Comics character in the 1940s

The Archer - Comics -- also a Superman villain.

Minstrel - Show

Dr Cassandra - Show

Magda - Comics -- Batman #1 as an agent of Hugo Strange-- likely not intended to be the same character.

Nora Clavicle- Show

If I left anybody out--let me know.
Phil B

Re: Villains and Characters from the Comics

Post by Phil B »

Siren.
Catfan

Re: Villains and Characters from the Comics

Post by Catfan »

While the original Batgirl made her debut in 1961, the Barbara Gordon version came about because DC Comics approached William Dozier about creating a character who could work with Batman, since Catwoman had proved so popular. The 1966 series had a direct impact on the comics. And THAT character has proven so popular that in 2011, the Barbara Gordon version of Batgirl finally got her own comic book series, which I get every month.

The Joker and Catwoman are among Batman's very oldest adversaries, though Catwoman's role started to change in the 1990s. In 2001, her role REALLY changed, and that led me into the comic book world (which the 1966 series prodded me to do). She (and Molly) got me involved in the board to begin with.

And King Tut was introduced into the comics in 2011, as Victor Goodman, and looks nothing like Victor Buono.