New T.V. Series for Batman 1966

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

MattNes

New T.V. Series for Batman 1966

Post by MattNes »

I have been thinking about an idea lately. The idea is about a new T.V. series set in the 1966 Batman T.V. show universe.
Do you think something like this could work?
In my mind everything would be the same. Same costumes, same sets (altho done just a bit better with todays techniques) Same type of story lines as Seasons 1-2. It would be just like they never stopped making the show. Even trying to mimmic the 60's aesthetic.
What do you think? Obviously its not going to happen. But what if it did? Discuss...
AndyFish

Re: New T.V. Series for Batman 1966

Post by AndyFish »

I just don't think so.
First, Hollywood can't not tinker. I'm a fan of Star Trek and Kolchak, the Night Stalker, and both of them got reboots and I didn't like either one. Nobody is going to replace Darren McGavin as Kolchak or Shatner and Nimoy as Kirk and Spock and I think the same thing about West and Ward as Batman and Robin. At least the Classic Batman. Anyone doing it now is just a watered down replacement.

So rather wish for new versions of my favorites, I just put them away for a while and then revisit them later on. I do the same thing with Charlie Chan and Tarzan, and I enjoy them again on the return visits.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Another example of this might be the Three Stooges movie that came out in the last few years. The people trying to ape Moe, Larry and Curly only reinforced how good the originals were.
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

I believe they already DID a cartoon based upon the '66 series. Not the Filmation cartoons of '68, or even the '70's cartoons, but the recently-aired Brave & Bold show. For the first time, King Tut, Shame, Egghead, and Bookworm were shown to exist in another show. Joker was shown remembering several death-traps he'd put Batman and Robin in, and they were traps he'd used in the live-action show.

So, you've kind'a already HAD your wish granted, Matt! :)
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

I think that would be an excellent idea with new Villains/Villainesses added.
MattNes

Post by MattNes »

I definitely am not thinking going the 3 stooges route. They tried to take those characters out of their element and stick them into a mostly modern world. Thats one of the main reasons why it failed. Im thinking about doing the exact same show set in the 60's. Think Return to the Batcave but without the modern Adam West & Burt Ward stuff. Only the flashback elements but for the whole show.
They could start over and include villains like Two Face whom from what I can tell was not in the 66 tv show.
I know that the camp element is part of what most of us love about the original tv show but I have also dreamed of seeing that show but minus the camp. Not "Gotham" serious. But just not so much camp...
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Three Stooges is an excellent example of Hollywood's inability not to tinker-- I'm probably a bigger Stooge fan than I am Batman and I passed on this all together.

While I liked the non-Adam/Burt parts of RETURN to the BATCAVE- they still were just trying to be something they weren't-- namely Adam and Burt. I also think the recent Batman '66 comic from DC shows that very few creative people who claim to love the show really get what made it work, and instead we get that awful slapstick comedy and childish writing (not talking about you Ralph).

Still, if they did it I'd give it a shot but it just wouldn't do it for me. I would be on board with a new animated series DONE RIGHT with Adam and Burt reprising their roles.
monitor_earthprime

Post by monitor_earthprime »

If they made a new cartoon series with Adam and Burt doing voice overs I would love that. The Batman '66 comic book is doing great so why not make a cartoon.
Visit my wiki site:
Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:
Monitor_EP Custom figures site
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

I agree but add new Batman Villains/Villainesses to it.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

A Batman Villainess from the 1966 Batman Topps Cards series could be added.She is:The Sea Hag from Batman Topps Card Number 14a:"Danger In The Depths."Also,add Poison Ivy to the Batman cartoon.Thank You.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Also, include Batgirl too.
High C

Post by High C »

I'd add a new villain called The Hijacker
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Excellent addition High C.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

I think the general consensus was that the 2012 Three Stooges movie far surpassed most stooge fans extremely low expectations. It was made by the Farrell Brothers (Dumb & Dumber) -- and five minutes into it, it was so funny I forgot these guys weren't the real Moe, Larry and Curly! It was respectful and had a ton of funny moments. You can't equal the originals, but it was a refreshingly fun try.

And yeah, 100% agree that the '66 series was remade in animation already with "The Brave and the Bold"! Unbelievably good series. I was blown away. It was so great that they thankfully used Diedrich Bader instead of Kevin Conroy! For me it put every other modern Batman related series way in the dust.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
hobbybuilder01

Post by hobbybuilder01 »

Although a animated series such as Batman TAS could work.