Question on Return To The Batcave movie

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BatmiteReturns

Question on Return To The Batcave movie

Post by BatmiteReturns »

I just watched this again for the first time since it aired and noticed a few differences in the costumes. I know that initially DC wasn't going to allow them to use the designs/characters for the movie so I was curious how they were going to get around it? I seem to recall Wally mentioning when the movie was filming but don't recall exactly what it was.

Anyone care to elaborate?

Thanks.
wally wingert

Re: Question on Return To The Batcave movie

Post by wally wingert »

When I was contacted to do the costumes we were told that a certain percentage had to be different in order to be in compliance with copyright law. So we changed specific things so they wouldn't get in legal trouble.
BatmiteReturns

Post by BatmiteReturns »

Thanks for the reply.

Is this why the actor who played the Riddler had red hair? Why Robin's logo is a little skinny?

What were they going to do about the cowl and logo?
Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

Sorry to jump into your thread, BatmiteReturns, but I always wondered why Wally didn't get any mention in the credits for costumes, so I'm glad you started this thread.
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

Outside of a slightly thinner R on Robin's costume and a lighter shade of baby-blue on Batman's suit I didn't notice any differences in the design whatsoever. Til this moment I had no idea DC didn't wish to cooperate with the movie. I really don't think this movie was anything for DC to worry about because it was faithful to the series in terms of the flashback scenes. The actors playing young West & Ward were perfect for the roles and gave decent performances, but I tend to fast-forward through the scenes with the present-day West & Ward, Gorshin & Newmar. I give them kudos for making fun of themselves, etc., but - - HOLY CLAPTRAP - - the teleplay did NOT do any of them any justice!
BatmiteReturns

Post by BatmiteReturns »

There were subtle differences in the costumes. Riddler's costume had too many question marks. Initially DC wasn't going to authorize this movie but changed their minds later on. At that point (Wally can correct me) they were able to make the costumes screen accurate.
Lee Kirkham

Post by Lee Kirkham »

If I am remembering correctly, I believe one other difference in Batman's costume was the number of points on the cape? Wally can probably clarify this.
I find you to be odious, abhorrent and insegrevious.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

I thought it was very similar to the original, but the material looked slightly inferior. And the cowl was a bit off. The stars, although the fellow playing Batman was more muscular than Adam, and the fellow playing Burt was less so, none of them looked as good in their costumes as the original actors. The TV series designers probably worked harder, as the series was a larger enterprise than this CBS TV movie. And Adam & Burt were just perfect choices. Still, I thought the actors were fabulous, as was the movie! A real triumph for everyone involved. And a treasure for fans of the series. It really could not have been improved on I don't believe.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
BatmiteReturns

Post by BatmiteReturns »

I really enjoyed the movie and was just curious what the back story was on the costumes, actors, etc.

I seem to recall Wally saying something about the fins on the gloves had to be a specific number along with the cowl being slightly different.

I didn't know how they were going to get away with using the bat symbol.
weirdkorey

Post by weirdkorey »

Besides the differences already posted, a few other things I noticed were: Batman's tights were way lighter (almost white) compared to the original. Batgirl's costume was a completely different color (it was blue instead of purple) I wonder if DC was more strict on making her costume different than they were with Batman & Robin? Robin's costume to me was the closest to the originals but still not screen accurate. I understand there were rights issues but some of it was so different it kinda took me out of the moment & made me focus on the errors (which I wasnt aware before were actually a rights issue) I learn something new about this show & related material all the time!
BatmiteReturns

Post by BatmiteReturns »

Batgirl may have been added at the last minute thus there were no rights issues and she could wear a screen accurate costume.

Not sure.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

They didn't have clearance until the very last minute after production was over so all of the costumes were altered to avoid the legal issues.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Scott Sebring wrote:They didn't have clearance until the very last minute after production was over so all of the costumes were altered to avoid the legal issues.
DC Comics strikes again! :roll:
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Jaws63

Post by Jaws63 »

Sometimes I think DC stands for destructive criticism. LOL.
BatmiteReturns

Post by BatmiteReturns »

How were they legally able to use those designs if they didn't have the clearance?

Surely more than a few extra scallops on the bat-cape or a fatter "R" logo would have to be done.

Although there was an adult movie that was released recently that apparently had accurate costumes and they obviously didn't have the license.

Perhaps I just answered my own question. :D