Positive thoughts on 3rd Season

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Batfan 66

Positive thoughts on 3rd Season

Post by Batfan 66 »

Hey everyone,
I share the feeling that the 3rd season was at many times painful to watch, but there were scenes, quotes, and a few episodes that I did like, so instead of criticizing this season, I want to share my favorite parts and would love it if you did the same.

I enjoyed several parts of the episode 'Catwoman's Dressed to Kill', it had it's moments, like when Batman said that she wasn't pulling the wool over their faces (while her henchmen were behind here getting ready to do just that), and Catwoman says, "Now would I do a thing like that" with a great look on her face, you'd just have to watch the scene again to get what I'm talking about

The episode Ring Around the Riddler had some fun scenes, it was great seeing Frank Gorshin again. Lots of fun when Batman goes "This is ridiculous, he's smaller than you are" to Robin, and Robin looks kind of offended.

King Tut always brings a smile to my face, even though it was the third season I loved both King Tut episodes. :)

The explosion in the Batcave in The Joker's Flying Saucer was kind of a fun part

Wail of the Siren had it's moments, I liked that episode.

Let's hear you guys' (positive) thoughts on the 3rd season :D
Has the whole world gone batty!?!?
Phil B

Re: Positive thoughts on 3rd Season

Post by Phil B »

I liked the introduction of Batgirl and the altered animation in the credits to suit.
Catfan

Post by Catfan »

I rather liked Batgirl myself, as well as the snappier Billy May music! Shame's outing was a little interesting, and of course, there was the Eartha Kitt Catwoman!
Bob

Post by Bob »

The Siamese Human Knot
Bat 66

Post by Bat 66 »

Fight scene in the Dark !
Pengy

Post by Pengy »

Joan Collins as The Siren. A great villainess played to perfection by Joan.

Penguin in the jockey outfit was hilarious to me.
dell

Post by dell »

For me the best part of season 3 was Joan Collins as The Siren. The Tut episodes were great too. Eartha Kitt as Catwoman and Batgirl finish off my list of the best.
dell
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

S3 related, but a bit off-topic: during the series syndicated run in the 70s and '89 revival tied to the Burton movie, the season three theme seemed to be altered a little, almost as if a heavy bass sound was added to the basic Hefi track. Since the 2000s, S3's main theme sounds like one used for the S1 & 2. Anyone know if the S3 theme was altered in any way after S2?

Oh, and before anyone says, "I don't think that happened. It sounds the same," other series had minor but noticable changes to the same theme music during the 60's. For example, some modern day fans of Gilligan's Island believe the theme composed for the color seasons was the same from S2 to S3, but if you take a look at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbkD4I_N ... re=related

...and read the the member's comments, he cites S3's arrangement was slightly altered from its original, S2 form. I recall the same thing about Batman, but it has been so long since watching the 70's prints that I do not have a ready source for comparison--other than memory, and the copies syndicated today (see: MeTV).

Thoughts?
Beneath Wayne Manor
Bat65

Post by Bat65 »

I have to say... I have NO problems with season 3. How could we? We were intoduced to Batgirl! Loved the backround music as well. If I had to complain, I would say it would be the lack of sets. It was mostly large props in an empty darkend studio. But that just made us use our imaginations.

^V^Dave
Serving Gotham since 1939
That_weirdo_Cage

Post by That_weirdo_Cage »

Bat65 wrote:I have to say... I have NO problems with season 3. How could we? We were intoduced to Batgirl! Loved the backround music as well. If I had to complain, I would say it would be the lack of sets. It was mostly large props in an empty darkend studio. But that just made us use our imaginations.

^V^Dave
I like this post a lot, and agree fully. :D
Batfan 66

Post by Batfan 66 »

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I wanted to add a few more things:

Tonight on MeTv they played The Ogg Couple, which I found was a lot of fun, and instead of just certain parts I like the whole episode! Thought I had seen all of the episodes, but I missed this one somehow... :)

The Funny Feline Felonies had it's moments too. Even the worst episode(Surf's Up, Jokers Under) had a few fun parts, like when Robin and Batgirl come out of dressing rooms and stare at each other for a second before springing into action :D

It was also fun when Bruce gave Dick a new car on his birthday when he got his drivers license.

A Horse of Another Color was another pretty good episode for S3, I liked it when Dick was a horse jockey, and the whole episode in general :)

It was a great twist in Louie's Lethal Lilac Time when Bruce and Dick gave the slip and switch on everyone rather than Batgirl!

The Great Train Robbery episode seemed like a pretty good episode, and it was cool seeing Shame again.
Has the whole world gone batty!?!?
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I liked a lot of the incidental music in S3, especially in the fight scenes and driving the 'mobile. Also maybe it's just me but I think the fight scenes were better done in general (even if all Batgirl did was kick and hit people with handy objects). As a kid, I didn't even notice the cheap sets. Yes the villains were pitiful, but that trend was well established in S2.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Batfan 66 wrote:Sorry to reply to my own post, but I wanted to add a few more things:
Tonight on MeTv they played The Ogg Couple, which I found was a lot of fun, and instead of just certain parts I like the whole episode! Thought I had seen all of the episodes, but I missed this one somehow... :)
It's been noted before that this episode was originally filmed as part of a three-episode arc, but later changed (for whatever reason), with some additional scenes filmed (i.e. Gordon and O'Hara at the office to call Batman). Those addtional scenes helped explain the difference between it and the two that were shown two months earlier.
LittleLouisGroovy

Post by LittleLouisGroovy »

A couple of thoughts about the third season:

I thought there were moments during the Lord Pfogg episodes that tapped into the darker tone of the first season, particularly the scene in the pub, during which Batman takes quite a few punches to the stomach and then has his memory erased, causing him to hallucinate that everyone in the pub has vanished. There was an edge to the violence in that scene that made it stand out from the more cartoonish moments of the season.

Barbara Gordon's apartment was probably my favorite set from the series. That revolving wall fascinated me and I begged my parents to have one installed in my bedroom. And I loved the way she walked her bouncy little walk, especially going from the living room to the bedroom, arm outstretched and ready to activate the revolving mechanism.

I liked that the writers often remembered that Batgirl, in her civilian identity, was a college graduate with a degree (I'm guessing a Masters) in library science, and depicted her as highly intelligent and resourceful. For example, in "Penguin's Clean Sweep," Robin (hilariously) describes the organisms under the microscope as "tiny tadpoles," but Batgirl immediately recognizes them as Lygerian sleeping sickness bacteria. (I always imagined that she would figure out Batman and Robin's secret identities long before they would figure out hers.)

The scene in which Catwoman's and Joker's henchmen throw Little Louis Groovy on his bed and steal his nightshirt. Even as a kid, I remember thinking that there was something sexy about it -- men stripping another man -- especially seeing the very attractive Dick Kallman in nothing but boxer shorts.

Was the name Nora Clavicle a parody of the name of a real life feminist activist? I often wondered how the writer of the episode came up with that name.

Interesting that in the Dr. Cassandra episode, when the six super villains escaped from jail, Catwoman was modeled on the Julie Newmar version, even though Eartha Kitt played the character in season three. I assume that even though Eartha Kitt made a strong impression in the role, the producers viewed her as a replacement and would have brought back Julie Newmar if there had been a fourth season.

Did Yvonne Craig have a stunt double? I can always spot the doubles for Adam West and Burt Ward, but Batgirl always seems to be portrayed by Yvonne in the fight scenes.
High C

Post by High C »

Positives from season 3:

Siren
Siren
Siren
Siren
and of course, Siren
8-)
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17