What I wish would have happened...

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

epaddon

Re: What I wish would have happened...

Post by epaddon »

There was nothing "lame" about Siren. She was the one who would have justified a two-part episode in contrast to the ones we got, capped by the lamely written and ploddingly paced Londinium trilogy.

*If* however, I have to be stuck with S3 as a half hour show, the things I wish would have happened in general would have been (1) Get Mary Ann Mobley instead as Batgirl and (2) Fire Oscar Rudolph as the "house director" because Rudolph's background in doing mostly half hour situation comedies IMO had as much to do with the show's sillier tone in S3 as the scripts that were being done. By contrast, the better episodes were usually done by directors with backgrounds in one hour dramas or in the case of George WaGGner, who did the Siren episode, someone who had done feature films.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

I sort of enjoyed Dr. Cassandra. If she's been given a creepier storyline, and Cabala made into a sort of gigolo character, and if her costume hadn't been so absolutely appalling, it could have been a very good episode. Shoot, I wish they'd drafted Ida Lupino into directing Batman episodes! She had a great film noir directing background, and was directing a lot of Gilligan's Island just prior to this. Aside from Waggoneer, the directors in season 3, judging from their output anyway, were basically untalented hacks.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Progress Pigment wrote:and if her costume hadn't been so absolutely appalling, it could have been a very good episode.
Hey, she was wearing a hand-me-down from two previous molls. :lol:
det8924

Post by det8924 »

There really wasn't a need for season 4. I only wish that season 3 had the cliff hangers aspect back and the budget wasn't cut. But the budget cuts kind of made it so that season 3 had to be the way it was. Although part of me thinks it was good that season 3 was different from seasons 1 and 2 as it gives those episodes their own feel. In the end we got about 120 episodes that's plenty (along with a movie).

My only real wish is that they did have some sort of epic 3 part finale.

Something where a new villian comes into Gotham and upsets the balance of things and the regular vilians have to team up with Batman or something. The lack of a true finale leaves the show feeling a little incomplete but that's a small complaint.
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

My view is that if you were going to use Lupino and Duff (whose marriage was already a shambles by this point and they were just putting on a public façade by working together) then it would have been better to use them playing the kind of characters that hearkened back to their earlier image as the glamorous "Mr. Adams and Eve" (their 1957-58 sitcom) and have them play rich upper class sophisticated crooks. Casting them as mod hipsters was just embarrassing to see.
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

Progress Pigment wrote:I sort of enjoyed Dr. Cassandra. If she's been given a creepier storyline, and Cabala made into a sort of gigolo character, and if her costume hadn't been so absolutely appalling, it could have been a very good episode. Shoot, I wish they'd drafted Ida Lupino into directing Batman episodes! She had a great film noir directing background, and was directing a lot of Gilligan's Island just prior to this. Aside from Waggoneer, the directors in season 3, judging from their output anyway, were basically untalented hacks.

I don't like the character but man, that's a strange episode. It might be the weirdest episode of the entire series, even stranger than Zelda talking directly to the camera, or the Joker surfing, building a ufo.

Batman, Robin & Batgirl end up flattened and then are picked up by Alfred at the post-office. And there's a machine that restores them. Meanwhile, the villains become invisible? And pummel the Caped Crusaders until they're beaten in a bat fight in the dark? That's a lot of weirdness in one ep.
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

[quote="Riddlersgurl"]1. Give Robin a steady girlfriend with her OWN secret identity! And make her the daughter of one of his deadliest enemies; the Riddler! Both of them about the same age, but she's sneakier, cannier, and has more than a bit of a grudge against both Batman and Robin, as well as her father...

I'd once seen a hint of something similar in a comic book back in the 70s. She was the daughter of the Riddler and she did have a real bent against Robin - at least that's what was shown, anyway - I didn't read the whole thing, but I remember seeing a couple of panels in which Robin confronts her and she hits back with a question-mark-shaped gun that was pummeling Robin with mini-cannonballs, or some kind of pellets which didn't penetrate like bullets or darts. She shouts at him "so how do you like my PERIOD PIECES, Boy Wonder..."

...another relative of Dick's that is in need of a home. Someone more savvy than Aunt Harriet, but knew how to keep quiet...not only that, but (as seen in Batman Forever) Robin actually had a brother who was one of the Flying Graysons...but (in my imagination) was NOT killed - he played possum and kept the outfit as Dick had. Well, anyway, one day the kid shows up with his modified Flying Graysons uniform, too, and.....not sure what he'd be called, but he's as much a version of Robin as Barbara Gordon is a version of Batman. (Just a thought)
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

robinboyblunderer wrote:---No, I'm trying not to think of her, terrible character...
BUT you DID remember her, old chum

---It wasn't a question about Maxie Zeus and I didn't feel like looking it up in the moment.

---Goo...what? I only use Ask Jeeves.
HOLY WINDOWS 95, rIght, Batman?
BatmanFan102

Post by BatmanFan102 »

What I wish would have happened...

By the way, Siren a LAME villain? No way!

I wish Molly had never been destroyed. I've always hated that she fell into the nuclear power core.

Have an episode where a villain is able to bribe Alfred's twin brother Eggie into kidnapping Alfred, then Eggie replacing Alfred at Wayne Manor. Then as an added twist, Eggie discovering Batman's secret true identity, and asking the villain for much more money and power in exchange for revealing Batman's true identity.

Have a long-lost cousin of Dick Grasyon's show up at Wayne Manor, about the same age as Dick. Due to their Batman & Robin secret identities, she would not be able to live with them. Barbara Gordon would become this girl's friend/mentor, and this as yet unnamed girl would join Batman, Robin & Batgirl as kind of a sidekick for Batgirl. Her hero name would be Sparrow.

Much more Frank Gorshin as Riddler! He was sorely missed in season 2, and only in one episode in season 3. He was by far the best villain!

Develop a love triangle between Newmar's Catwoman, Batgirl and Batman.

Have Mad Hatter return with a sidekick of his own, the March Hare.

More scenes at Wayne Manor, especially that living room set!
weirdkorey

Post by weirdkorey »

BatmanFan102 wrote: Have an episode where a villain is able to bribe Alfred's twin brother Eggie into kidnapping Alfred, then Eggie replacing Alfred at Wayne Manor. Then as an added twist, Eggie discovering Batman's secret true identity, and asking the villain for much more money and power in exchange for revealing Batman's true identity.
This basically was the storyline in one of the Batman 66 comic issues last year! The only difference was Eggie wasn't being bribed, he was just seeking revenge on Alfred for being put in jail in season 2. In this issue Eggie's goal was to switch places with Alfred & steal the Wayne fortune. It to me was the best writing so far in those comics! I really thought it would have been a very solid season 3 episode & to me it actually wouldn't have required a villian other than Eggie because we already had his backstory & it made sense in a twisted way that he would be upset with Alfred. If you haven't read that issue I definitely suggest checking it out.
Pengy

Post by Pengy »

I'd love to have seen Newmar's Catwoman interact with one of the other big four. We got to see Burgess, Frank and Cesar all work together at some point. I'd love to have seen Julie do the same. Preferably with Pengy.
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

If Madge Blake's health (and the Wayne Manor living room set) had held up...

Ending of final episode. Dick somehow lets slip a "Holy (whatever), Batman!" to Bruce in front of Aunt Harriet. "I mean, uh,..."
She smiles and says, "Oh, you boys don't have to play coy with me - I've known you were Batman and Robin for some time now."
They both stammer in protest, then Dick says "But how - "
"Remember that time you... 'visited' Wayne Manor? And you both kissed me on the cheek? Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again: A GIRL CAN TELL!"
Bruce and Dick look at each other dumbfounded...
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

That would have made an EXCELLENT ending to the series.

EGGS-CELLENT and PURR-FECT.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

WayneGrayson wrote:
Riddlersgurl wrote:1. Give Robin a steady girlfriend with her OWN secret identity! And make her the daughter of one of his deadliest enemies; the Riddler! Both of them about the same age, but she's sneakier, cannier, and has more than a bit of a grudge against both Batman and Robin, as well as her father...

I'd once seen a hint of something similar in a comic book back in the 70s. She was the daughter of the Riddler and she did have a real bent against Robin - at least that's what was shown, anyway - I didn't read the whole thing, but I remember seeing a couple of panels in which Robin confronts her and she hits back with a question-mark-shaped gun that was pummeling Robin with mini-cannonballs, or some kind of pellets which didn't penetrate like bullets or darts. She shouts at him "so how do you like my PERIOD PIECES, Boy Wonder...")
Bob Rozakis, DC's onetime head of production and a frequent script writer in the 70s, created that character. Originally known as "The Joker's Daughter," she battled Robin in a series of stories in the "Batman Family" comic of the era. She adopted the wardrobes, crime tactics, and alleged parental status of Joker (in her first story), and then Riddler, Penguin, and (I think) Catwoman before Robin figured out her true identity -- Deula Dent, daughter of Two-Face. It turned out that she wanted to make amends for her father's misdeeds, and was challenging Robin to prove to him she could hold her own as a crimefighter. She briefly joined the Teen Titans, adopting the heroic identity of Harlequin, with a clown-like costume, but more or less disappeared after just a few appearances.

Cheers,

QQ
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

I wish they would've had a scene upstairs at WM with BW sitting on his bed , pondering if he should put on the suit again.....there would be no dialogue in the scene , just him looking at the suit & then putting it on.....going into action again.

It was just a random idea I had recently which I think would've been awesome to have seen filmed , the mood of the scene.