I think I'm softening a bit for the third season

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

WayneGrayson

I think I'm softening a bit for the third season

Post by WayneGrayson »

I watched a couple of third season episodes last night on Me-TV and just laughed my way through them. They were the last part of Londinium and Catwoman's Dressed to Kill. After watching those two, it seemed to be not as bad as I remembered it. Sure, there are those who say the series became a parody of itself in the 3rd season, but the series is just a piece of entertainment and if that's what it wanted to do 40 years ago, then, okay. Better to be a self-parody as opposed to someone else doing a parody. Robin had some great lines in Londinium and Eartha Kitt stole the show in "Dressed to Kill", and they both seemed to have some fun doing those scenes, So - - it's no longer upsetting for me to see the series go from something really good an innovative in 1966 to whatever it became in 1968. It still had a strong cast come what may, but I still could definitely do without Minerva, Nora Clavicle and those two hep-cats played by Ida Lupino and Howard Duff - the one in which the terrific trio is turned into one-dimensional snapshots. As long as the felonious fab 4 pop up in it, you know it can't be bad.
Yellow Oval

Re: I think I'm softening a bit for the third season

Post by Yellow Oval »

Although Season 3 was mostly considered a bust, I did have some episodes I liked - mainly the Joker ones. Even in a goofy season Joker still came across as sinister. His UFO episode gave me the creeps with Gotham having searchlights all over the skies along with Joker's henchman, Verdigris, skulking in the library (if Batgirl screams than you know it's scary!). Even the 'broad, sweeping sound' music theme during the searchlights shot at the beginning was always ominous and I found they used this music clip a lot in Season 3.

The episode where Joker teams up with Eartha Kitt was another one that unnerved me as a schnick. The scene where Catwoman and Joker shoot from an old, dingy hotel room across the street into Gordon's office always struck me as really film noir-ish. That and sabotaging Batgirl's cycle and ambushing her had dark overtones that could have gone down an even darker alley if the show was done later in another time period.

The Joker's surfing episode, however ridiculous, was just plain old fun to watch and 46 years later all I can say is... UNDINE!!!! :D

While not being Season 1 or 2, I think most of us can say 3 had its moments.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
seanrt

Post by seanrt »

I am quite fond of season 3. I love 1 & 2, but Batgirl was the bomb to me. She made me feel like even without a fortune someone could do good and be a super hero if they wanted. I loved everything about her character. If only I could find an apartment with a revolving wall.
Sol

Post by Sol »

Calling anything about the third season "self-parody" seems odd to me. Parody of absurdism - which the show was from its beginning - strikes me as redundant. However, all sense of dramatic story-telling, which was always mild at best, was pretty much flushed away.

As regards the third season's worthwhile episodes, I would say my favorite is the Shame two-parter, which I think is the most genuinely funny story in the entire run. Mr. Robertson has excellent on-screen chemistry. Shame's relationship with his "Mexican" henchman, Fred, never ceases to make me laugh. I'm also very fond of Adam West's Gary Cooper impression. And as for Batman and Shame's final confrontation in the western street has me giggling just thinking about it.

My biggest problem with Season Three, something that even Yvonne Craig's vivaciousness cannot distract from, is that all the new sets became "expressionistic" - simply put: crudly-designed set pieces set up infront of a black cyc. If it wasn't for the fact that all the established sets from the first two seasons were complete and "realistically" detailed, one might go on about artistry. But since the disparity exists as it does, it just makes things look exactly as what they were: CHEAP.
Pengy

Post by Pengy »

Every time I think of season 3 I think of drab cheap black sound stage sets. I think the Nora Clavicle outing, the second Louie the Lilac episode, and Joker's surfing episode were the worst of the lot.

The best things that came out of season 3 were The Siren and Batgirl.

As for the four main villains; Penguin did ok overall, though marrying Barbara Gordon to get immunity from prosecution was weak. Catwoman was very good, especially the dressed to kill episode, and bossing Joker around for two episodes. Riddler's trying to rule the boxing ring episode was almost as stupid as Joker trying to rule the surf. And Joker came off the worst. We all know the details of horrific surfing episode. The two parter with Catwoman was pointless, where he did nothing but just tag along with her as a yes man, she didn't need him to find some gun powder just to blow a hole in a wall for goodness sake! The Martian episode was redundant.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

Sol wrote: My biggest problem with Season Three, something that even Yvonne Craig's vivaciousness cannot distract from, is that all the new sets became "expressionistic" - simply put: crudly-designed set pieces set up infront of a black cyc. If it wasn't for the fact that all the established sets from the first two seasons were complete and "realistically" detailed, one might go on about artistry. But since the disparity exists as it does, it just makes things look exactly as what they were: CHEAP.
I tend to think if the writing and directing hadn't become so pedestrian, we'd likely forgiven the cheap sets. The lack of talent behind the camera is what made season 3 so dreadful. There were a few decent episodes, but not enough to keep Batman being listed as one of the "worst shows on television" in old 1960's newspapers. No series, aside from NBC's "Heroes" from a few years back, has experienced a similar drop in quality.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Well, I for one, don't understand why they couldn't have used some of the sets from the first two seasons, or film in already established areas like old warehouses. I think there's more to this story then we've been told, and to blame it all on money can't be the entire reason. Even nuttier is the idea that it was all Yvonne's fault via her pay even though she did make more than Burt.

I like many things from season 3. I agree Billy May's music is awesome. The Batgirl theme is so weird and catchy at the same time. What is your scene baby we just gotta know!! Dated but probably embarrassing even then. But more on that in the official music thread.

My favorite episode is the one that has the remote controlled mice.....no, I'm just messing with you all. No, I too like the Shame episode with Fred. And Robertson's Batchick kills me just thinking about it.
Music. BAT! Music.
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

The two King Tut episodes were my favorites from S3. They hold up the best compared to the rest of the show in writing, acting, and production value. And to hear the Batman fight scene music again (the only time in S3) was exhilarating in the Batcave fight!
Sol

Post by Sol »

I agree about the Tut episodes. They seem to me to be consistent in quality to the S2 programs, even at just half-an-hour. A lot of their merit, of course, goes to the comic brilliance of Victor Buono!
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

Progress Pigment wrote:
Sol wrote: My biggest problem with Season Three, something that even Yvonne Craig's vivaciousness cannot distract from, is that all the new sets became "expressionistic" - simply put: crudly-designed set pieces set up infront of a black cyc. If it wasn't for the fact that all the established sets from the first two seasons were complete and "realistically" detailed, one might go on about artistry. But since the disparity exists as it does, it just makes things look exactly as what they were: CHEAP.
I tend to think if the writing and directing hadn't become so pedestrian, we'd likely forgiven the cheap sets. The lack of talent behind the camera is what made season 3 so dreadful. There were a few decent episodes, but not enough to keep Batman being listed as one of the "worst shows on television" in old 1960's newspapers. No series, aside from NBC's "Heroes" from a few years back, has experienced a similar drop in quality.
I think the drop in quality from the second to third seasons of The Man From U.N.C.L.E. was the worst and quickest decline that I can think of. The weird thing is that U.N.C.L.E. actually became good again in its abbreviated fourth season, but the damage of the third season had already been done and the ratings tanked.

I would also say the last two seasons of The Beverly Hillbillies were miles worse than the earlier seasons.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

gothosmansion wrote:I think the drop in quality from the second to third seasons of The Man From U.N.C.L.E. was the worst and quickest decline that I can think of. The weird thing is that U.N.C.L.E. actually became good again in its abbreviated fourth season, but the damage of the third season had already been done and the ratings tanked.
Aww man! I just started watching season 3 of The Man From U.N.C.L.E.!!! :( Hopefully I won't find it too bad. What was it with all those '60s shows back then where season 3 seemed to be a curse?
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

Mark Racop wrote:The two King Tut episodes were my favorites from S3. They hold up the best compared to the rest of the show in writing, acting, and production value. And to hear the Batman fight scene music again (the only time in S3) was exhilarating in the Batcave fight!
Actually, they DID use the best Batfight music in another episode. It was in Part 2 of the Londonium serial, right after Batman saved Robin from the bridge trap. Ffogg and his henchmen burst upon the scene and a fight ensued. I can't tell you how happy I was to hear THAT music again. :)

Here's a youtube clip of that particular fight. It comes in about 13:38 or so. King Tut's fight comes in Clip 2. :)

EDIT: Link removed to follow board rules. Look up Bat-Fights Season 3 on youtube to see the clip. :)

My apologies to the mods, and my thanks to Weird Korey. :)
weirdkorey

Post by weirdkorey »

Gernot you may want to remove that link because I believe it is against board rules because it is a link to clips which are from an unofficial bootleg set. Just a friendly reminder I dont want you to get into trouble.
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

Yellow Oval wrote:
Aww man! I just started watching season 3 of The Man From U.N.C.L.E.!!! :( Hopefully I won't find it too bad. What was it with all those '60s shows back then where season 3 seemed to be a curse?
You won't notice it as much at first, since the episodes weren't shown in production order. The better ones seem to have been front-loaded at the beginning of the season. However, three of the worst episodes must have aired back to back because they were all on the same DVD. Just for the record, those are "The Abominable Snowman Affair", "The Jingle Bells Affair" and the worst of all, "The My Friend, The Gorilla Affair." Words cannot describe how awful Gorilla is. You just have to see it to believe it.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

gothosmansion wrote:
I would also say the last two seasons of The Beverly Hillbillies were miles worse than the earlier seasons.
I saw some of those a couple of years ago! They were really kind of bizarre. But I don't think the show ever took the ratings dive that Batman did. And the critics never liked the Hillbillies. Comparatively, Batman got quite a bit of praise in the beginning.

http://tralfaz.blogspot.com/2012/09/the ... ilmed.html
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!