I think I'm softening a bit for the third season

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

AndyFish

Re: I think I'm softening a bit for the third season

Post by AndyFish »

There is some solid stuff in three.
Shame, Tut, Joker and you all know I love the Londinium Episodes because Batman in the swinging 60s in London even if it's a fake one, is a win in my book. Any episode with them in it is still good.

Imo Penguin and Riddler did not shine, and Louie the Lilac, Nora Clavicle and Minerva all need to go away.
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

Progress Pigment wrote:
gothosmansion wrote:
I would also say the last two seasons of The Beverly Hillbillies were miles worse than the earlier seasons.
I saw some of those a couple of years ago! They were really kind of bizarre. But I don't think the show ever took the ratings dive that Batman did. And the critics never liked the Hillbillies. Comparatively, Batman got quite a bit of praise in the beginning.

http://tralfaz.blogspot.com/2012/09/the ... ilmed.html
Thanks for including that link. That was very interesting reading. I wasn't born when the Hillbillies (or Batman) first appeared, and discovered both in reruns. The Hillbillies had some entertaining episodes up until and including season seven, but the last two seasons were horrible. The directing by previous film editor Bob Leeds was responsible in my opinion, although Paul Henning seemed to have run out of ideas and the scripts weren't as good. However I think the first two seasons of the Hillbillies may be among the funniest shows to ever hit television. I think the Henning produced/Jay Sommers created Green Acres is bizarre and brilliant as well. I've read the critics hated Green Acres, too.

I'm actually surprised that Batman got some critical praise, since the critics were so harsh back then. It seems like none of them had a sense of humor.
weirdkorey

Post by weirdkorey »

Critics still have no sense of humor & most of the time they hate the best shows & movies. I have learned to completely ignore critics because they seem to be wrong quite a bit.
JWLJN

Post by JWLJN »

It's my favorite season. Even as a kid, I was much more into the camp and comedy than any "adventure" that may have been in the episodes. I'm not a comic fan or really even a Batman fan outside of the show, so this is probably part of it.

I'll be watching Season 3 on Blu-Ray first!

-J\/\/
jim9999

Post by jim9999 »

I don't know. I really miss the "Same Bat Time, Same Bat Channel" from the previous seasons. Going to a single episode plotline just seemed to take something away for me. The fight scenes really became lackluster also, just some cheap-looking soundset. Batgirl was an interesting addition, but she reminded me of when they added that little kid(7 name?) in Married With Children when things were going south for that show. There were some moments here and there in the 3rd season, but overall definitely didn't match up to Season 1 or Season 2 for me. Still fun to watch though, just have to be more forgiving in expectations.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Yellow Oval wrote: Aww man! I just started watching season 3 of The Man From U.N.C.L.E.!!! :( Hopefully I won't find it too bad. What was it with all those '60s shows back then where season 3 seemed to be a curse?
I find the third (and final) season of Lost in Space to be superior to season two, where the conscious screaming/whining of Dr. Smith made every episode a patently irritating experience.
Beneath Wayne Manor
dell

Post by dell »

I found every episode of Lost in Space to be painful. Actually, I thought most of Irwin Allen's shows tanked by the time they got to their final season, some before that. Honestly, his final season episodes for his big shows all are far worse than any 3rd season Batman episode (and I include Nora Clavicle). The Time Tunnel, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and Lost in Space are almost unrecognizable from their first seasons. And these were big shows back then, not just second rate stuff. Remember the Nero episode of Time Tunnel? Ugh, horrid stuff! And Voyage? Mummies, aliens, giant squids and just outright garbage. Season 3 of Batman isn't great, but compared to other shows of the time it was well above average.
dell
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

dell wrote:I found every episode of Lost in Space to be painful. Actually, I thought most of Irwin Allen's shows tanked by the time they got to their final season, some before that. Honestly, his final season episodes for his big shows all are far worse than any 3rd season Batman episode (and I include Nora Clavicle). The Time Tunnel, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and Lost in Space are almost unrecognizable from their first seasons. And these were big shows back then, not just second rate stuff. Remember the Nero episode of Time Tunnel? Ugh, horrid stuff! And Voyage? Mummies, aliens, giant squids and just outright garbage. Season 3 of Batman isn't great, but compared to other shows of the time it was well above average.
The infamous Vegetable People episode of Lost in Space is their equivalent of Nora Clavicle. Billy Mumy said the actors knew it was so bad, they had so many extra outtakes because they could barely say the lines without bursting into laughter.
celestialhost

Post by celestialhost »

I genuinely like Season 3.

I like the single episode format that is used. I understand that some Bat-fans see the cliffhanger as fundamental to Batman stories, but it often feels formulaic. I think too many stories from Season 1 and 2 drag on too long.

As for Nora Clavicle, that episode is terrible. but I enjoy the titular villain herself. For all the limited time on screen, she is enjoyable.
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

I have to agree, I did like Barbara Rush, and I also liked the premise. It always seemed as if the female villains were always more sinister than the males. However, It was a really bad script. Putting out electronic mice Nora knew the female cops would be afraid of, then this idea of the pied piper. There was some pretty good comedy in it, with the terrific trio playing the recorders for the mice, especially the way Batgirl summoned the mice to follow her.

Best "gosh-darned" moment in the entire episode: "BACK TO THE BATCOMPUTER IN THE BATCAVE, BATMAN?" I DARE anyone to say that three times fast.

Holy ZOUNDS!!!! Is Nora Clavicle's episode BETTER than our very own WayneGrayson actually opined many years ago? He doesn't have the DVD set yet!

With the remastering of the entire Beatles catalogue and the Batman DVD set about to come his way, does this mean our good Mr. Grayson will say GOODBYE to the audio-visual underground?

Stay tuned til tomorrow.
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Same boot-time? ;)
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

chrisbcritter wrote:Same boot-time? ;)
SAME BOOT BOX SET!
(Ominous TA-DA music being played to fade, then OUT)