Batman: The Movie's Success

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Robin Holyisms

Batman: The Movie's Success

Post by Robin Holyisms »

Is there a reason why this wasn't more of a success? Because despite happening during the height of Batmania. And despite there being a considerable demand to see the movie. The movie was only said to be a modest success at the box office.

What makes this even more puzzling is that Lorenzo Semple Jnr. in the movie's commentary track. Said that the movie wasn't well promoted. But when i checked the movie's interactive pressbook it said that the movie had the wildest pre-selling campaign in history. Because it was being promoted on tv, on the radio, in comic books, on the sides of 5,000 National Periodical Publication delivery trucks, etc.

http://www.66batman.com/yabbfiles/attac ... ie__2_.jpg

Any answers would be much appreciated. Because this is probably the last thing that i need double check for my blog about the movie's legacy.
Bat Tom

Re: Batman: The Movie's Success

Post by Bat Tom »

I have never seen any numbers on how much the movie made at the box office.
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

The estimated budget, according to IMDB, was $1,377,800. I only found one reference in a quick search of the box office, claiming it made $13 million. This was a disappointing box office considering the expectations they had for the film, but the real purpose for the movie was to use it as a pilot to launch the series overseas, so it all worked out.
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

As far as why the movie wasn't a bigger success, I've read that Batmania was already waning by that point. In my opinion Semple and Martinson had already given up the more serious tone of first season to begin the downfall of the series (compare the riddles from first season to the "sparrow with a machine gun" riddles of the movie). While there were still some great episodes in second season, the "jump the shark" episode for most was "Pop Goes the Joker." For some, even the very first pair of second season episodes with the Archer jumped the shark. For me, the Batman movie jumped the shark--literally--with a shark hanging off of Batman's leg.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Despite the fact that all the lobby cards, posters and trailers for the film said: "NEVER BFORE SEEN ON TV!" the public either did not or would not believe that due to the recent Man from UNCLE films in the theaters. The Man from UNCLE franchise had tacked together several of their three-part episodes from TV and made them movie releases. The public was shall we say, less than pleased. So, when I spoke with Adam West in 1982, I asked him about all this and he said this certainly added to the lack luster box office.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
Robin Holyisms

Post by Robin Holyisms »

Wow thank you for all of these great replies. Because of your'e help i'll now be able to post my 15-part project on the series before the end of next week.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

There's also something of a "I can see it for free on TV so why pay in a theater?"-- which would likely happen today if they did something similar-- say a Madman Movie-- I'm not sure people would flock to see it even if the show is popular.
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

Pretty sad thing to hear.
Robin Holyisms

Post by Robin Holyisms »

Does anybody have a copy of the Batman: The Movie script please? Because i'd like to know what it says about Batman and Robin mixing up the dehydrated world leaders. As i want to know if that was deliberate or if it was a mistake.

Because Robin did suggest that they should mix up the world leaders. So they would hopefully stop squabbling. But as we know Batman disapproves of the idea because he felt that they shouldn't try to play god. But even after this the world leaders for some reason still end up getting mixed up together anyway.

The reason why i'm asking this is because i'm hoping to squeeze out atleast one more comparison. To a similar moment in the comics for my comic book references blog for batman: the movie. If no comparisons can be made. That will be ok because i think that i have made alot of really good comparisons anyway.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Mark Racop wrote:As far as why the movie wasn't a bigger success, I've read that Batmania was already waning by that point. In my opinion Semple and Martinson had already given up the more serious tone of first season to begin the downfall of the series (compare the riddles from first season to the "sparrow with a machine gun" riddles of the movie).
...or, they had to tone doen how complicated the riddles were, since this was a villain team-up film, and each member had to seem like equal partners in constructing the bigger plan.
For me, the Batman movie jumped the shark--literally--with a shark hanging off of Batman's leg.
Remove the shark and bomb sequences, and the film is a pretty solid adventre on par with season one, as the gags would be reduced to something not serving as a distraction. Batman and Robin were always on the hunt in this film, and not easily confused or paying into the stiff "good citizen" routine--something that was an increasing problem in season 2. The payoff (Batboat vs. sub/sub fight) was as good as any similar payoff in S1, only the film took advantage of the medium's size with a submarine--and the ocean--as the stage.

Then, there's the Riddle main title theme....after the wild, overnight success of Hefti's main theme for the TV series--known by all...covered by rock bands, most studio execs (and fans) would thought it was insane to change that for the film..but it worked. Riddle crafted a piece which seemed very much in line with the kind of adventure, spy themes of the period.

The piece successfully mixed Bat motifs with a sense of trouble and urgency (much like my view of the heroes in the film) and while I consider the film part of the TV series continuity, it seems like the three-part special season two should have produced to boost ratings--flashy, energetic, and taking full advantage of the superheroic fantasy.

Now, all of that said, the film is not perfect, but I feel it has more going for it than any negatives worth noting,
Beneath Wayne Manor
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

We're on the same page, Batwinged Hornet. You made great points about the Riddle's music and the end fight scene. Despite its flaws I still love the movie. There are certainly many more good things to say about it than negative. I am not knocking parts of the movie for the sake of knocking it, but instead trying to answer the question as to why it wasn't more successful.
AHTrois

Post by AHTrois »

Mark Racop wrote:The estimated budget, according to IMDB, was $1,377,800. I only found one reference in a quick search of the box office, claiming it made $13 million. This was a disappointing box office considering the expectations they had for the film, but the real purpose for the movie was to use it as a pilot to launch the series overseas, so it all worked out.
At least it broke even! 8-)