Violence and Language

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

artsEgal

Violence and Language

Post by artsEgal »

Watching Batman on various stations over the years, I've found that the rating is usually listed as TV-G or PG.

Naturally the PG rating is quite mild by today's standards. Perhaps it was because of the fight scenes?
Also, I recall hearing some mild profanity. :shock:
No big deal, but not common for 60s TV shows.

I tried looking it up, saw that Star Trek was one of the first to use "profanity". The Hays code faded by then, the movie industry changed so much! The mid 60s seemed to be a major turning point for television.
Ahh, I'm so fascinated with trivia. :ugeek:

Anyone else hear any in Batman?
Think it was during the "fight scenes" - I recall a couple mild ones in a King Tut and Riddler episode.
"He ponders the problem of how to make better a world where evil brings profit and virtue none at all..."
LuckyLadybug

Re: Violence and Language

Post by LuckyLadybug »

Hmm, very interesting. I wasn't aware of any profanity, even mildly. I'll have to keep a listen for it.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

My guess is the PG is for violence. The fights and death traps.
Johnny Hamm

Post by Johnny Hamm »

I've generally found that the episodes were rated G but the motion picture was PG? Boggles the mind with the stuff they pass now for PG... :?
artsEgal

Post by artsEgal »

When I get my set, I'll be checking that out again.

I remember sitting back in my folding chair and about fell off it when I heard that. After I recorded it on my VCR, I ran it back a dozen times. It was the early 90s, lots of that on TV then. But I watched more classic tv and movies, so that caught me off guard.

Even though there was fighting, no blood and nobody died...But then I discovered there were a couple deaths at least.
"He ponders the problem of how to make better a world where evil brings profit and virtue none at all..."
artsEgal

Post by artsEgal »

Johnny Hamm wrote:I've generally found that the episodes were rated G but the motion picture was PG? Boggles the mind with the stuff they pass now for PG... :?
Ha! I just watched the movie. That scene with the Riddler and Joker laughing. *Ouch my sides*
:lol:

Wow, forgot that was PG. Not sure why.
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

artsEgal wrote:Wow, forgot that was PG. Not sure why.
Perhaps the more adult situation with Bruce and Miss Kitka (as compared to the TV series at least), the action and alcohol drinking in the bar and discussion of drinkers between B & R, the regular amounts of violence and fighting, death of several henchman (the dehydrated ones being turned into antimatter and the one who took Batman's place in the arms of Penguin's exploding octopus), and the whole disturbing idea of humans being turned into piles of dust that are subsequently scattered to the wind (Holy Heike Monogatari!) and then scrambled when reassembled. A bit more intense than the TV show, I can see this being PG by 60's standards.
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
artsEgal

Post by artsEgal »

Woo hoo!! I found it. I'm not losing my mind after all.. :mrgreen:

The Riddler episode, Give 'Em the Axe.
Of course it's during the fight scene, the Riddler yells it among the music and sound effects. Clever way to sneak it in and did fit with the scene.
Besides a villain says it, so they're covered ;)
Riddler Fan

Post by Riddler Fan »

Standards have changed sadly. These days Bugs Bunny cartoons are edited.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I guess the Star Trek reference is to the last line in "City on the Edge of Forever." Here in 2015, it's hard to remember that once upon a time it was a shocking thing to hear on TV. Interestingly, two years later in "Day of the Dove," Kirk tells a Klingon to "Go to the Devil," which is an odd and distracting cop-out from saying what we know he really meant. But it underscores, I think, that the "City" line was exceptional and an attempt to add an extra gut-punch to an already powerful ending.

Anyway, back to Batman: I can see where it would have been "PG" back when that rating meant something. There is fighting (though not any rougher than what Roy Rogers would do) and the threat of death at the end of most episodes (though usually under highly unlikely circumstances). Also, let's face it, if you were the type of kid who needed the constant reassurance of Mr Rogers to calm your nerves, Cesar's Joker and even Frank's Riddler could have sent you scrambling for cover behind the couch. And don't even get me started on that giant clam.

My kids are 11, 9 and 6 and I have no qualms about letting them watch the show. On the other hand, only the two older ones can watch Star Trek, and even then I'm selective about the episodes.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

I believe they used the n-word once on Hawaii Five-O back in the day , they could also use "colorful" language on wrestling back then , different times & totally un-pc these days.