show ?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Lee Kirkham

Re: show ?

Post by Lee Kirkham »

Wasn't there somebody here (quite awhile ago) that was speculating that one of the hoods was possibly Joe Chill? I seem to remember something along those lines. Can anyone else remember?
I find you to be odious, abhorrent and insegrevious.
makaveli09

Post by makaveli09 »

Hey guys is there a place where the bios for the characters. Or are they just taken from the comics?
But some vilans are specific to the show.

Thanks
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

I've always thought the "red" suited Batman in the foreign promos came about as a result of someone's interpretation that his tights are red because sometimes they photograph pink-ish and the photos they were given to enhance and produce the posters looked this way to them. If not that, perhaps it was just someone's artistic decision that appealed to the sensibilities of area culture.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

AndyFish wrote:I was thinking Hugo Strange too.
There is a Batman villain called Copperhead, who had the snake motif and he was around early 60s.
Lee, excellent question-- I would take a guess that at least the first half season was at least plotted out, they also had access to the comic books so there's the other source. The Egghead guy could just be a scary bald guy-- after all that's pretty generic for a evil scientist.
I think that, like most of the villains featured on the opening credits, the guy with the snake mask is just a generic bad guy. Kobra first appeared in 1975 and Copperhead didn't appear until 1968, so they both made debuts after the series started.

I think the bald guy was probably just a generic mad scientist. Hugo Strange made a few appearances in the 1940s and then disappeared until Steve Englehart revived him in 1977. I don't think any of Hugo's appearances would have been reprinted in the 1960s, because DC didn't have the printing plates to a lot of their early stories from the 1940s, according to some of the Batman letter pages at the time that asked why not many of the oldest stories were ever reprinted. The famous first edition Batman reprint, which had a Hugo Strange story, didn't come out until the 1970s.
Robin Holyisms

Post by Robin Holyisms »

gothosmansion wrote:I think that, like most of the villains featured on the opening credits, the guy with the snake mask is just a generic bad guy. Kobra first appeared in 1975 and Copperhead didn't appear until 1968, so they both made debuts after the series started.
Actually the King Cobra character that's shown in this comparison shot debuted in 1961.

gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

Robin Holyisms wrote:
gothosmansion wrote:I think that, like most of the villains featured on the opening credits, the guy with the snake mask is just a generic bad guy. Kobra first appeared in 1975 and Copperhead didn't appear until 1968, so they both made debuts after the series started.
Actually the King Cobra character that's shown in this comparison shot debuted in 1961.

This is the Kobra that I was referencing. The character on the opening credits looks a lot like him.
Attachments
Batman_and_the_Outsiders_Vol_1_27.jpg
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

epaddon wrote:I never realized it was Clayface until I studied this more carefully in the remastering. That was obviously an unworkable villain for the series.
Perhaps False Face was Clayface's TV analogue? :)
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

False Face was a comic book villain from the 40s.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

Still wonder why they never used Scarecrow, seems like Don Knotts would have made a really fun Jonathan Crane.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

I agree.
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

TBolt wrote:False Face was a comic book villain from the 40s.
Thanks, T Bolt! I was unaware of that, though I WAS thinking he was a Golden Age foe of Superman. Then I realized the villian's name I was really thinking of was Funny Face! :)