BATMAN: Season 3 - which was best?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Pengy

Re: BATMAN: Season 3 - which was best?

Post by Pengy »

It's a shows how bad season 3 is if the Joker's surf episode is considered the best one.
bat lugosi

Post by bat lugosi »

I got the Blu Ray set for Christmas and I just finished up season three. I would have to say 'Surf's Up! Joker's Under' is probably my favorite episode: I hated it as a teenager in the early 90s when it was on YTV, but as a 30-something I just get it now.

A close second would be the Londinium Trilogy; my wife hates them but I find them to be a lot of fun.

Next up would be 'The Wail of the Siren.' Siren is a decent villain and looks amazing, but the reason I really like this episode was the pairing of Robin and Batgirl. I agree that it has a season one feel but most of all I find that it doesn't feel as rushed like most of season three.

After that it's all downhill IMO.
kennetzel

Post by kennetzel »

I agree with some of the previous posts...the Shame episode was well done. Frontier Fanny was supposed to be Calamity Jan's mother, yet spoke with a cockney accent, and the of course Fred with his accent who sounded like a butler. The whole two parter was a joy to watch. Besides, to see such a serious actor as Cliff Robertson do comedy is priceless.
Edward Nigma

Post by Edward Nigma »

I would give the Siren the episode the nod as 'best' if the question is: "Which Season 3 episode compares most favorably to Season 1?"

I would give the two Shame episodes the nod as 'best' if the question is: "Which Season 3 episode is the best comedic episode?" As others have noted, Shame's gang is hilarious and really brings the comedy.

I would give 'Surf's Up! Joker's Under' and 'The Joker's Flying Saucer' the nod as 'best' if the question is: "Which Season 3 episode is the best parody of the show itself?"

Other than that, the Season 3 'bests' tend to be moments or individual performances: The Sabre Dance, the performances of Milton Berle, Eartha Kitt and Cliff Robertson as Louie the Lilac, Catwoman and Shame respectively, the fight scenes in the Shame episodes, particularly the thrashing Batman gives Shame at the end of the second part.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

kennetzel wrote:I agree with some of the previous posts...the Shame episode was well done. Frontier Fanny was supposed to be Calamity Jan's mother, yet spoke with a cockney accent, and the of course Fred with his accent who sounded like a butler. The whole two parter was a joy to watch. Besides, to see such a serious actor as Cliff Robertson do comedy is priceless.
Not to mention the Jerry Mathers cameo
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

The Londinium Trilogy. A new environment, some outside scenes, pompous villains, Lady Prudence and so on.

The King Tut eps. He finally figures out their identities and the cave-in happens. Great ending to an episode, especially with Batman's speech to Robin in the mine shaft.

The Joker surfing and ufo episodes. Funny and unique Joker stories.

Shame's gang was witty but that was the only thing I liked from that pair of shows.
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Surf's Up is the Best of the worst.
When Batman says "How about it Joker, are you ready to put on your baggies?"
( or something like that)
then pushes past him while giving the hot blonde the eye is my favorite moment of the 3rd season.
human knot is second.
The rest of this season is a little rough for me but hey, it's Batman!
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

batrunner1966 wrote:then pushes past him while giving the hot blonde the eye is my favorite moment of the 3rd season.
That because Adam remembered her when she was one of Liberace's three molls from the year before: the lovely Sivi Aberg
STEPhonIT

Post by STEPhonIT »

I'm in nostalgia phase. I'm enjoying every episode. The color and production design was done nicely, this was a well crafted series and I'm surprised how these episodes look THIS good. NTSC has been the demon's spawn of Hollywood television productions; if you don't have these sets I urge you buy them just to enlighten you on what our horrid broadcast has done to big budget TV shows. And the COLOR, I can't seem to grasp how beautiful and well thought the color schemes were for this series. Great job all around.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

They're mostly pretty fun. The Siren one was hands down the best. The Tut episodes were good. The Louie The Lilac episodes were actually respectable. I liked a lot about Dr. Cassandra. Ida Lupino is hard not to like. And Lord Ffogg had some good moments. The pilot wasn't horrible. 'Surf's up' is a hoot. Actually better than 'Pengy for Mayor" and several of the 2nd season tries at 'theater of the absurd'. I really hate the Shame 3rd season episode! It and 'Jokes on Catwoman' are just unconscionable. The scripts should have been scrapped, and the writers banned from the set!
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
brightknight

Post by brightknight »

Bat Username wrote:I tend to think of "Surf's Up! Joker's Under!" as being the best example of season three. The plot is nonsensical, Yvonne looks great, and it's a fun, breezy 24 minutes. All of those qualities encapsulate the season for me. Ditto for the "love it or hate it" reaction the episode appears to generate among fans.
Yes, the concept for the episode is ridiculous. Laughable, in fact. However I quite like the roller coaster emotions the Joker can have. One day he'll turn the water supply into strawberry jelly. The other he'll threaten somebody with a knife or gun, and the next he'll steal the surfing ability from a pro. He's like the weather. Like the Ledger Joker from TDK said, he just does things. It doesn't always have to have an overarching goal. It just has to amuse him.
BatmanFan102

Post by BatmanFan102 »

Without question the three parter that took place in Londonium (or is that Londinium?)

Any episode with a cameo by Madge Blake is always good to me!

The servants were very creepy which added to the suspense for me.

It was amusing to see how lame and barren the set was when they were supposed to be on the cruise ship departing from America.

I loved the little interlude that Chief O'Hara had when visiting Ireland Yard, and loved how Ireland Yard's set was that of Commissioner Gordon's, only made up to look slightly different.

The traffic cop (bobby) seeing the Batmobile each time was amusing too.

Batman & Robin being separated, Batman entering the tavern and Robin being kidnapped harkened back to "Hi Diddle Riddle".

Batman's chant to make the rope go up was amusing. The face he made when freeing Batgirl from her bonds was amusing too. Seemed the faster Batman sawed through the chains the more aroused he become. Quirky but enjoyably amusing to me nevertheless.

Loved Rudy Vallee & Glynnis Johns. Incidentally, Glynnis' father Mervyn Johns portrayed Bob Cratchit in the 1951 film "Scrooge" starring Alistair Sim.
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

"Another character that was a standout--probably deserving her own storyline was Lady Prudence, who would have provided a bit of romantic tension for Robin, but not losing an edge of danger, so she would not fall into the schoolgirl crush zone."

Yes - pre-CISELY - - - Lady Prudence was more of a three-dimensional character, or at least had moments of 3-dimension. She thought Robin was smashing and she genuinely liked him, but he did stand in the way of her usurping Lady Fogg. Their last lines together busted me up - it started off Season One-ish but then Robin just had to burst the bubble with a "Cheerio". Sort of like Batman and Catwoman having a moment as she surrenders but then Robin the Bubble-Burster-Wonder butts in again. His thrust into manhood was indeed a long time coming.

EDIT - -I'd like to take back what I said about Robin's "Cheerio". I read it wrong - or wrongly. He wasn't being goofy, he wasn't being a clumsy jerk, he was upset, dare I say broken hearted. He said "cheerio" for lack of anything else to say to her as she was led off to the tombs. What can you say - "good luck", "see you round"...nothing. What told me I was wrong about his delivery of the line was he'd hung his head and Batman patted his shoulder. I can see why he said "cheerio" now - I CAN see why. However, on the other hand, it would have been a really bittersweet moment if he just said "no, Lady Prudence, it didn't", then she just walks off. Then when the inspector suggests a cup of char, instead of Robin bouncing back immediately, give him a beat or two.
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

Yes, I feel like Robin received the least attention in Season 3, which is a shame. I think his impetuousness would've gotten him in trouble with Nora Clavicle and I would've enjoyed a return appearance from The Siren, wanting revenge on him.

It's too bad the energy from Season 1 couldn't have been replicated in the third.
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

robinboyblunderer wrote:Yes, I feel like Robin received the least attention in Season 3, which is a shame. I think his impetuousness would've gotten him in trouble with Nora Clavicle and I would've enjoyed a return appearance from The Siren, wanting revenge on him.

It's too bad the energy from Season 1 couldn't have been replicated in the third.
Oh, yeah, that would have been good - I always liked the way Robin couldn't care less whether their nemesis was female. Batman's non-stop lectures about having to be fair to the fairer sex (DESPITE THEIR DESIRE TO KILL THE DYNAMIC DUO) were nauseating and uncomfortably hilarious at the same time. Chivalry makes my stomach turn.

Nora Clavicle against the gems that come out of the mouths of Boys Wonder - woulda loved it!