Mary Ann Mobley R.I.P.

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

clavierankh

Mary Ann Mobley R.I.P.

Post by clavierankh »

Mary Ann Mobley , former Miss America, has passed at 77 from breast cancer. I bring this up here because she was one of the finalists to play Batgirl.
High C

Re: Mary Ann Mobley R.I.P.

Post by High C »

Very sad news.

Here's a story about it. She was 75, according to this:

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news ... /20163687/

No offense to Yvonne, but I believe Mobley would have been a better choice. As epaddon said in a thread on the old board six years ago, Mobley would have brought more of a wide-eyed, innocent feel to BG and I think the writers would have went with that, instead of writing her as a rebellious type who hid evidence and withheld information from her own father about the kidnapping of Bruce and Dick.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Sad because nowadays 75 seems much too soon. She'd lost her husband, Gary Collins a couple years ago (and he'd had some problems in the years leading up to that).

Although Mary Ann never landed a breakout star role, she and Lee Meriwether were without question two of the three most successful Miss Americas of the post-war period (along with Bess Myerson) in terms of having visibly successful careers in the entertainment world.

Some of her best TV guest shot episodes include a two-part Season 1 episode of "Mission: Impossible" where she plays a circus aerialist who becomes a guest member of the IM team (and has to do fake fight with Barbara Bain) and also the "Man From UNCLE" episode in which she played April Dancer, who was played by Stefanie Powers in the "Girl From UNCLE" TV series (Powers first episode filmed in that series incidentally was done with her too much in the MAM template. They soon quickly adjusted the script to fit her more worldly persona which is why its not a stretch to say that if MAM had become Batgirl, the scripts in time would have been adjusted to suit her persona more).

I even have an episode of the 1959 pseudo-game show "Take A Good Look" hosted by Ernie Kovacs, I which a celeb panel was given strange and bizarre clues to see if they could recognize their "Miss X" contestant who was MAM one year after winning the Miss America title. Cesar Romero was on the panel and immediately disqualified himself because he knew right away who she was!
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

I agree.RIP.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Ironically, ME-TV had previously scheduled the first of a two-part Mission Impossible on Sunday night in which Mobley assists the team.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

Very sorry to hear that! She seemed very sweet. And was Dozier's first choice for Batgirl! Based on the comics he'd seen, I'm guessing.

ImageImage
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
kennetzel

Post by kennetzel »

She did a guest shot on the Partridge Family too. She played the theme park representative who was hired to show the group around an amusement park during their stay there and Keith and Danny fell in love with her. They were competing for her attention throughout the episode.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

High C wrote:Very sad news.

Here's a story about it. She was 75, according to this:

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news ... /20163687/

No offense to Yvonne, but I believe Mobley would have been a better choice. As epaddon said in a thread on the old board six years ago, Mobley would have brought more of a wide-eyed, innocent feel to BG and I think the writers would have went with that, instead of writing her as a rebellious type who hid evidence and withheld information from her own father about the kidnapping of Bruce and Dick.
Good points; she would have played it with a stronger sense of maturity, and not the giggling girl who taunts her way around Batman and Robin's investigations.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Hummel

Post by Hummel »

Very sad news, i watched her in Fantasy Island. She was a really good actress :)