Episode titles that don't quite make sense?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

LuckyLadybug

Episode titles that don't quite make sense?

Post by LuckyLadybug »

So I watched the second set of Joker episodes in season 1 and was left scratching my head over the title He Meets His Match, The Grisly Ghoul.

What's a grisly ghoul? That doesn't sound much like a title they would give to Batman himself (so unflattering!), but nothing else in the episode would make the title even remotely fit. I originally thought the episode probably brought in a rival criminal who came to blows with Joker, but nope!

Are there other episodes with rather odd titles that don't seem to fit the episodes' events?
epaddon

Re: Episode titles that don't quite make sense?

Post by epaddon »

Well the idea is to always make Part 2 rhyme with Part 1 in some way. Sometimes it comes off forced, like after "An Egg Grows In Gotham" we get "The Yegg Foes Of Gotham." "Yegg" is a British slang term for criminal so it work in that kind of context but since Egghead and his henchmen are not English it doesn't work from a literal standpoint.
High C

Post by High C »

'The Entrancing Dr. Cassandra." Nothing entrancing about her. She doesn't hypnotize people, so the title makes little sense.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
dell

Post by dell »

I always interpreted it as the Joker meets his match in Batman.

He Meets His Match, The Grisly Ghoul. In other words: Joker meets his match (in Batman), The Grisly Ghoul (Joker again). Not a very good one by any stretch.
dell
dell

Post by dell »

High C wrote:'The Entrancing Dr. Cassandra." Nothing entrancing about her. She doesn't hypnotize people, so the title makes little sense.
Synonyms for entrancing are: captivating, enchanting, magnetic, alluring, tempting, enticing, inviting, persuasive, and enthralling.

She wasn't really captivating, enchanting or magnetic. I think she was 20 years past alluring (not trying to be mean, just honest). The rest are pretty much misses too. She could have been persuasive, but she comes across as kid of a jerk and rather mean, so that one is out.
dell
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Part two of The Puzzler appearance is pretty weak: After "The Puzzles Are Coming," we get "The Duo is Slumming"
Shemp

Post by Shemp »

"The Cat's Meow / The Bat's Kow Tow"

Kow tow [sic], kowtow = bow to, defer, grovel. The Dynamic Duo win (naturally), so "The Cat's Kow Tow" would make sense, but not the episode title they went with.
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

With "The Puzzles Are Coming", maybe it would have been more in keeping with Paul Revere style rhythm to just repeat Part 1's title (maybe put an exclamation point after part 2 to distinguish it)!
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

Going OT but Melrose Place had some funny titles :

"Picture Imperfect"

"Much Ado About Everything"

"Of Bikes and Men"

"Breakfast at Tiffany's, Dinner at Eight"

"To Live & Die in Malibu" (or "in Dixie" lol ?)

"All About Brooke"

"Melrose Impossible"

"Melrose Is Like a Box of Chocolates"

"Dial M For Melrose"

"Hunka Hunka Burnin' Love"

"Un-Janed Melody"

"Jane's Addiction"

"Mission: Interpersonal"

"Farewell, Mike's Concubine"

"Amanda Unplugged"

"El Syd" (now THAT is a clever pun :lol:

"Free Kimmy"

"Kimberly Does L.A." :?

"Two Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"

"Oy! To the World"

"Escape From L.A."

"Great S**pectations"

"Men Are From Melrose"

"Frames 'R' Us"

"Screams From a Marriage" ("Scenes from a marriage" ?)

"101 Damnations"

"From Here to Maternity"

"Last Exit to Ohio"

"The Dead Wives Club"

"All Beths Are Off"

AW should've played a crooked lawyer on MP or Dallas , would've been awesome........
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

Shemp wrote:"The Cat's Meow / The Bat's Kow Tow"

Kow tow [sic], kowtow = bow to, defer, grovel. The Dynamic Duo win (naturally), so "The Cat's Kow Tow" would make sense, but not the episode title they went with.
I always interpreted it as "The Bow To The Bat" (what Catwoman ended up doing in a figurative sense), not as an absolute possessive/strict verb, so it does make sense in that light.
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

I always found it amusing when writers would come up with some silly/witty titles that never got seen by the viewing audience because the show as a general rule didn't show the episode titles!
philigan

Post by philigan »

I always thought that season 3, 2 parter with Catwoman and Joker had very clever titles. Especially part 2 "The Joke's On Catwoman."
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

"He Meets His Match, the Grisly Ghoul" continues the thought of "The Joker Goes to School," so "He" is the Joker. That pair of titles actually makes more sense to me than many others, including the Cat's Meow/Bat's Kowtow one mentioned above and The Thirteenth Hat/Batman Stands Pat. In both of those cases, the first title of the pair makes sense, but the second sounds forced (just to make a rhyme), and makes Batman sound passive.

Cheers,

QQ
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

"The Duo Defy"
Defy what? We already know they will oppose anything coming from the villain end, so the title is just telling us something we knew for nearly two whole seasons (considering that "The Duo Defy" was the S2 finale).

"Rats Like Cheese"
What--specifically--is that referring to? It seems to imply bait, or an old cultural reference, but it has little to do with the episode's events or theme.

"Batman's Satisfaction"
Satisfied with what? Batman begins this 2-parter operating from a number of assumptions about guest characters that were all as close to correct as possible, thus he had no reason to seek satisfaction. On the other hand, the title could refer to his being satisfied that the Gumm crimes would be solved. But that's still a weak title not making much sense, particularly after following part one's on-point title.

"Enter Batgirl, Exit Penguin"
Okay, yes, Batgirl makes her debut on the Gotham scene / encounters the principals, but Penguin dis not come close to exiting the scene until the end, so the title does not fit the plot well. Moreover, "exit" almost suggests a sort of final appearance for the character, when that was not close to true in S3.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

Let's face it , we've been trolled for nearly 50 yrs :lol: :mrgreen: