Costume Malfunction "Batman Stands Pat"

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Joel Ross

Costume Malfunction "Batman Stands Pat"

Post by Joel Ross »

Just watched the episode "Batman Stands Pat" and noticed a major costume malfunction. When Batman throws the Batarang his cape moves to expose his bare back. Looks like the wardrobe assistant forgot to zip him up!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-12-10 at 9.57.28 PM.jpg
Todd Grimes

Re: Costume Malfunction "Batman Stands Pat"

Post by Todd Grimes »

Ha! Good catch!!
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

I noticed that too :lol: -one of the things I never caught on my old low-def bootlegs, but I originally thought the suit had ripped from tossing the Batarang (having assumed this was not the first take). It was also neat seeing the 'rope pouch' and 'batarang pouch' in the same shot along with the utility belt closure in the back. For those of you more knowledgeable than I in the ways of the utility belt, about when was it that they quit using the rope/batarang pouches? I loved all the specialized pouches (and the communicator buckles! I wish Mr. Williams would do a Robin version!) shown early on, even that horridly stenciled Bat-Ear Plug pouch.
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

I remember seeing that, but never in such detail before, of course. I, too, always thought it was a rip. However, at this higher resolution it looks like Adam's zipper burst partway down - if it wasn't zipped at all, it wouldn't be closed at the top. Those tights are TIGHT, and it would never be stretched closed at his neck/shoulders if it was truly unzipped. IMO.

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Riddler Fan

Post by Riddler Fan »

Adam may have left the zipper down on purpose to let his body breathe. Ballet dancers for decades wore total covering leotards made of 100% Nylon that made them sweat quite a lot. It wasn't until the 1980's that dancers began wearing leotards with open backs to allow for better sweat disapation. Maybe Adam was 20 years ahead of his time. ;)
Hummel

Post by Hummel »

They didnt have modern age's effects, give them some credit :P
Gotham

Post by Gotham »

Indeed it looks like a rip to me as well.
good catch!
I can confirm the Costume is indeed HOT! Imagine that, plus being under those hot Studio lights!
I may not agree with what you say at times, But I will fight for your right to say it!
Riddler Fan

Post by Riddler Fan »

It's really hard to tell by the posted picture if the zipper is indeed broken, or lowered. Wearing tights and a leotard made of 100% Nylon and covered by a black cape certainly does not lend itself to be either cool or comfortable. Batman's real villain was the costume department. ;)
BatGirl

Post by BatGirl »

I don't ever recall seeing a costume malfunction in the show, was this the only known time it occured?
Jessica
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

I don't know if there are others, but I recall seeing Robin's cape partially fall off when he's captured by the Riddler and Molly and the Molehill Mob in the pilot.