My lunch with Hubie Kearns!

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

wally wingert

My lunch with Hubie Kearns!

Post by wally wingert »

Today I worked on a set for a TV car commercial, and one of the stunt drivers was Hubie Kearns Jr.! I made sure to meet him and we sat down and enjoyed lunch together. He had TONS of great stories about his dad. Unfortunately he never visited the Batman set as a kid.

Hubie said his dad got to keep one of his Batman costumes, but sold it a few years before he died in 1999 for $5000. YIKES! He also said that he has NO photos of his dad, but did buy the DVD set when it came out. All of Hubie Sr.'s Batman stuff went with an ex-wife when he got divorced, leaving Hubie Jr. with nothing.

I gave him my contact info and when the commercial is done shooting we're going to touch base so I can start loading him up with all sorts of great photos from our collective collections. So ladies and gents, start scanning any photos you may have lying around of Hubie in action. I told him about the one color shot of Hubie standing in the Batman costume smiling at the camera.

He said the only thing he does have is some strips of negative film from the Batman TV show. I told him we could get those scanned for him to see what exactly was on those film strips.

Fascinating conversation...and more to come!
Batfanman

Re: My lunch with Hubie Kearns!

Post by Batfanman »

Wow, great moment for you, Wally. That is so sad what happened but this can turn out to be something really great for him!
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

wally wingert wrote:Today I worked on a set for a TV car commercial, and one of the stunt drivers was Hubie Kearns Jr.! I made sure to meet him and we sat down and enjoyed lunch together. He had TONS of great stories about his dad. Unfortunately he never visited the Batman set as a kid.

Hubie said his dad got to keep one of his Batman costumes, but sold it a few years before he died in 1999 for $5000. YIKES! He also said that he has NO photos of his dad, but did buy the DVD set when it came out. All of Hubie Sr.'s Batman stuff went with an ex-wife when he got divorced, leaving Hubie Jr. with nothing.

I gave him my contact info and when the commercial is done shooting we're going to touch base so I can start loading him up with all sorts of great photos from our collective collections. So ladies and gents, start scanning any photos you may have lying around of Hubie in action. I told him about the one color shot of Hubie standing in the Batman costume smiling at the camera.

He said the only thing he does have is some strips of negative film from the Batman TV show. I told him we could get those scanned for him to see what exactly was on those film strips.

Fascinating conversation...and more to come!
That's really wonderful thing you're wanting to do for Hubie Jnr! Great encounter too!
Tom1980

Post by Tom1980 »

There is another colour photo in Cinefantastique Bat Special, from the end of the Clock King episode. It shows Slezak, the lovely Eileen O'Neill, Ward and West, while Hubie (without cowl) is in the background on the clock works.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Got a few.
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Here is Hubie Kerns maybe in his only "talking" role? From the 2nd part of "The Penguin's Goes Straight/Not Yet, He Ain't" This entire driving batcycle scene is shot w/ Hubie (Adam is seen in a static insert shot) and is that Hubie's voice saying "Gone straight huh?" or was that dubbed in later by Adam?

Imageclick for video (sorry for poor quality)

[BBvideo 425,350]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/ ... Kearns.mp4[/BBvideo]
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

That is so cool!!! :D
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Space Ghost

Post by Space Ghost »

Pretty neat! Made for a great read. Thanks for posting.
You're Never Too Old to have a Happy Childhood
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

What great memories for a son about his father and what a big heart you have for sharing them with Hubie Jr.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Lee Kirkham

Post by Lee Kirkham »

I love it when we (the board) can help out those who have a connection with the show, especially when it was a family member. Wally, please do keep us up-to-date on your visits with Hubie!
I find you to be odious, abhorrent and insegrevious.
Dark Detective

Post by Dark Detective »

Very nice, thank you for sharing.

John
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

I just got a note back from Hubie Jr. that I thought I'd share with the board...

Wally,

Thanks so much for the pictures. They are really appreciated. Thank the fans from the message board who uploaded photos

Hubie Jr.
Bob Furmanek

Post by Bob Furmanek »

That's wonderful, Wally!

Can you ask whatever happened with his dad's film THE DATE? It was mentioned in Variety in 1970.
Attachments
Date.JPG
Date.JPG (30.32 KiB) Viewed 5806 times
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

This has been discussed before. It was released as "Scream, Evelyn, Scream!" in 1970. Burt Ward had a small part as a guy in a dune buggy.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3616910/

http://templeofschlock.blogspot.com/200 ... ile-2.html

It's always puzzled me. After "Batman", Burt Ward could not only not get a starring role, but could not get anything! Aside from this film where he's billed as "Dune Buggy Driver", he didn't do a non-Batman related role until the mid-eighties. Not even a guest shot on a TV series! It's perplexing. He was a decent enough actor. I really don't understand it.

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Some more Batman images of Hubie.