I THINK WE ALL LIVE THE BATMAN SHOW (SOMEHOW)

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

WayneGrayson

I THINK WE ALL LIVE THE BATMAN SHOW (SOMEHOW)

Post by WayneGrayson »

After this schpiel of mine, you'll be treated to a 31-minute You Tube link to Newmar, West and Ward at some "con" convention (forgot the brand name). Anyway, a guy stands up in the audience and thanks the Big Three for impacting his life the way they did. He said he learned so much about life from (well...) West and Ward, anyway, and they made him want to be a superhero, but the closest he would come was to join the Marines.

Yada yada yada, I started thinking about how influential the series has been in and around my life. I once worked in an office run by a guy who looked like Superman and was once stunned to see this guy (in dark blue) intensely huddled over a computer screen with a much younger underling (sidekick?) in yellow. They seemed to be of the same mind, etc., and it made me think, for a moment, that I was actually in a Batman episode. From the villains, I learned individuality, caustic wit and to embrace my eccentricities. Throughout my life, at various times, I have been someone's Batman, someone's Robin and even someone's Riddler (just the eccentric nature and devilish sense of humor - no explosions or knock-out darts - I don't go in for that). I still fall into those "roles", depending on the situation. I'm totally enjoying it, too.

Oh, that's right - schpiel over - now for the clip.

http://youtu.be/TAm2LPolJxU
WayneGrayson

Re: I THINK WE ALL LIVE THE BATMAN SHOW (SOMEHOW)

Post by WayneGrayson »

Uh, I goofed...

THIS is the clip I had in mind. I think the other one was filmed at the same bat-event, same bat-time, but a different angle (not tilted).

This is the right one:

http://youtu.be/CIDc1tTi4jM
Bat Username

Post by Bat Username »

I've never been a huge fan of origin stories when it comes to superhero films, preferring instead to see heroes/villains hit the ground running as established characters. I was just joking with someone about how this may be a direct result of Batman having been my first exposure to the genre, since the show's writers clearly favored the latter approach as well. (Even in the rare case of Batman encountering a new foe, it still wasn't really treated as an origin tale.)

That may not be quite what you were looking for here, but it's an example that was fresh in my mind. Oh, and I totally once tried to impose a tax on every egg consumed and may or may not have attempted to take over the world by becoming King of the Surfers.
K.G. Bird

Post by K.G. Bird »

I feel Batman was very influential growing up. I mean Adam West as Batman. I am not sure any other incarnation of Batman could inspire people the way this show did. The Batman and Robin of the TV show were extraordinarily moral persons. They made it believable. Even though it is just a TV Show and they are just actors playing a role, their characters still challenged us to be better people and citizens. Batman's lectures and PSA's were meant to have a humorous side but they were also endearing and relevant. Whether it was looking both ways before crossing the street, fastening your safety belt, or putting money in parking meters to support better roads, the message was meaningful and always made us better people.

Another aspect of the show which was influential was the vocabulary. Even the villains had a good command of language and more sophisticated vocabulary. I recently watched Hot Off The Griddle and Catwoman upbraided Jack O'Shea saying, " Curve your tongue knave, one thing I can not tolerate is a man with ill breeding". Or something similar to that. Find me a villain today who talks like that. What you will hear is a litany of vulgarities and obscenities. Even the villains were inspiring. Early on, I kept a dictionary with me while watching so I could speak more like the characters on this show.
"Really Dick! I fear some recent romantic interlude has fevered your imagination. Aunt Harriet is..utterly..beyond..reproach".
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

Two things:

Catwoman's reprimand to O'Shea was "watch your language, knave - remember I'm a lady".

The other was "Curb your TONGUE, Batman - I cannot tolerate a man with ill breeding" - Sure, right before she sics the cats on them and shoots them with trank darts.

I agree with everything you said - and when you mentioned vocabulary, I remembered a great bit with Catwoman (in the Robin goes bad episode) telling Batman that being around him has improved her vocabulary..."...a whole lot"

I'll add more a bit later - I have company now, but just sneaked away to see what was up on the boards.
K.G. Bird

Post by K.G. Bird »

WayneGrayson wrote:Two things:

Catwoman's reprimand to O'Shea was "watch your language, knave - remember I'm a lady".

The other was "Curb your TONGUE, Batman - I cannot tolerate a man with ill breeding" - Sure, right before she sics the cats on them and shoots them with trank darts.

I agree with everything you said - and when you mentioned vocabulary, I remembered a great bit with Catwoman (in the Robin goes bad episode) telling Batman that being around him has improved her vocabulary..."...a whole lot"

I'll add more a bit later - I have company now, but just sneaked away to see what was up on the boards.
I stand corrected about the quotes. Perhaps I was drinking at the time- despite Batman's warning to be cautious of strong stimulants.
"Really Dick! I fear some recent romantic interlude has fevered your imagination. Aunt Harriet is..utterly..beyond..reproach".
BatmanFan102

Post by BatmanFan102 »

Like the TV series, I too was created and debuted in 1966. I was an infant when it originally aired on ABC, but during the early 1970s I grew up watching it. Sometimes when driving with my Dad, I felt like Robin to his Batman. He would amuse me and humor me at times with that.

I was Batman one Halloween as a youth. Then in my early 20s I was again!

A good point was made by another poster about how vocabulary was used in the show, and the writing of the show helped to expand my vocabulary, and today it still does once again!

I suppose I can relate to the Batman Bruce Wayne character too as my beloved father died right in front of my eyes when I was just 11. I was with my mother when she passed away too almost 23 years later. Both died from natural causes, not by being shot by Joe Chill, nevertheless being with or close to one's parent when they die leaves an everlasting impression on one's mind and heart. When it is both parents, it's more than twice as bad. So to that end, I can relate to a degree as well to Bruce/Batman.

I could cite many other examples, but am curious to hear more from the rest of you.

Best!

Bill McD. B.M. '66 ^*^ ^*^ ^*^ ^*^ ^*^ ^*^