Things you didn't notice or remember until seeing the DVDs

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Golddragon71

Re: Things you didn't notice or remember until seeing the DVDs

Post by Golddragon71 »

Just watched the screen test footage and it struck me that the Batcave set used for the tests is the cave where Catwoman finds the treasure of Captain Manx and falls down the bottomless ravine (you can practically see the pit in the background)
"Someone might be able to substitute for Batman, for a very short time, but no one could ever replace him!"
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

I never noticed that Clayface was included in the rouge of villains in the opening credits. Standing behind Catwoman in the mono colored row.
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

The lights atop the brain scanning device from the first Egghead episode were reused atop the high voltage x-ray machine in "The Contaminated Cowl".
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

The Boss wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:49 am The lights atop the brain scanning device from the first Egghead episode were reused atop the high voltage x-ray machine in "The Contaminated Cowl".
Presumably with the same sound effects.
cammy85

Post by cammy85 »

You are correct, Dr. Shimel!! As someone who watched those episodes a lot, I can indeed confirm they're the same sounds both times.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Was the X-Ray machine the same one used for the Mr. Freeze (Eli Wallach version) death trap?
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

19:43 into "Fine Finny Fiends" as the door opens & Penguin is about to enter the bldg., the scene is level & balanced until he comes through the door where it instantly tilts to the dutch angle. Probably happens in other episodes but it just jumped out at me when watching. Funny to see it happen all in one shot.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Kite Kid

Post by Kite Kid »

I had to have the DVD to notice this one, because I had to freeze the picture and then advance it a frame at a time to make it out: In "Enter Batgirl, Exit Penguin," the front of the Gotham City Times that contains Penguin's engagement announcement is barely visible for a split second, but the headline reads, "CRIME WAVE GROWS!" It's the same newspaper that is the first one seen in "Batman Is Riled," two seasons earlier.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Kite Kid wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:54 pm I had to have the DVD to notice this one, because I had to freeze the picture and then advance it a frame at a time to make it out: In "Enter Batgirl, Exit Penguin," the front of the Gotham City Times that contains Penguin's engagement announcement is barely visible for a split second, but the headline reads, "CRIME WAVE GROWS!" It's the same newspaper that is the first one seen in "Batman Is Riled," two seasons earlier.
So the budgetary machinations in S3 were already going strong in the first episode! :lol:
High C

Post by High C »

'Bat-rss' and his brother addressed this particular economizing on their podcast a while ago...

http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/070-bat ... to-laramie
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Kite Kid

Post by Kite Kid »

The outfit Yvonne is wearing in this picture ...

... is the same one Diane McBain wore in "A Piece of the Action."

Barbara wore it as loungewear in "The Sport of Penguins," while Pinky wore it as business attire.

Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Kite Kid wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:12 am The outfit Yvonne is wearing in this picture ...

... is the same one Diane McBain wore in "A Piece of the Action."

Barbara wore it as loungewear in "The Sport of Penguins," while Pinky wore it as business attire.
That's a great catch!
Kite Kid

Post by Kite Kid »

Ben Bentley wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:39 am That's a great catch!
Thank you, Ben!

Admittedly, because I had initially noticed the outfit on Barbara in "The Sport of Penguins," I was searching for a picture from that episode to illustrate my post and only then did I recognize she's wearing it in the comic book photo, too.

I was so pleased with myself for catching it that I also shared it on Tor.com's "Holy Rewatch, Batman!" series in the "A Piece of the Action" analysis! :D
Kite Kid

Post by Kite Kid »

Either Minerva Matthews, Karnaby Katz and Mr. Van Jones all live together in one house, or else all of their homes were designed by the same architect, because the same building is used for the exterior of all three. It's a long facade with columns and a wide set of brick steps in front. There's also a very recognizable half-circle window above the front door.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Kite Kid wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:09 am Either Minerva Matthews, Karnaby Katz and Mr. Van Jones all live together in one house, or else all of their homes were designed by the same architect, because the same building is used for the exterior of all three. It's a long facade with columns and a wide set of brick steps in front. There's also a very recognizable half-circle window above the front door.
You're correct! The building in question (sometimes referred in the studio's history as "The Colonial Home") is in fact the front offices of the Desilu/Culver Studios. It's street facing towards Washington Bl in Culver City, CA.

Here's a photo I took back in 2010:

You can check out the thread where I posted this image (and more!) originally here:
http://66batman.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 618#p57618