Things you didn't notice or remember until seeing the DVDs

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Bat-fan01

Re: Things you didn't notice or remember until seeing the DVDs

Post by Bat-fan01 »

I didn't notice all of that, but the Penguin's nose is in plastic and everyone know that was makeup tricks!
That is sure that Adam and Burt have stunts doubles ! When they punch the criminals, I think it's him,but when it's the criminals that punch Batman and Robin, yes it's stunts double!
To The Batcave, Batfans! :D https://youtu.be/QMXiXQ8uRoo
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Dept. of Too Much Time on My Hands:

I was curious about some of the background material on the wall of Joker's hideout in his robot/bank caper, which upon closer inspection has quite an eclectic bent.

The first photo (in the upper right corner) references Charles Morgan's short 1941 novel, "The Empty Room," which one online item described as such: "its theme is the power of men and women, and indirectly of nations, to be born again when all seems lost." Below that is a reference to a May 1939 story from "Double Detective" magazine written by Richard Sale and entitled, "Somebody Stole My Ghoul."

The final photo is on the back of the entrance door to the hideout and references a concert by Eugene Ysaye, a legendary violinist from a century ago. I wasn't able to find out what year the concert took place, though it's clear the date was September 25. The New York Hippodrome was the largest theater in the world and could seat 5,000 people. Supposedly the stage was 10 times larger than the typical Broadway theater, so it's clear this was a big event. It was torn down in the late 30's.
Attachments
joker1.png
ghoul.png
ghoul.png (422.98 KiB) Viewed 42339 times
Screenshot 2019-05-23 at 8.28.35 PM.png
Kite Kid

Post by Kite Kid »

Ben Bentley wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:37 am The building in question (sometimes referred in the studio's history as "The Colonial Home") is in fact the front offices of the Desilu/Culver Studios.

How cool! That's just one of the great things about being a member of this board: learning about background like this. I figured it was significant building because of how often they used it but had no idea it was the main Desilu/Culver office.

And I think I've spotted it again. I believe it's also the exterior of the Eta Beta Latke sorority house in "Catwoman Goes to College."
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

After umpteen viewings of "Fine Feathered Finks," I only just noticed the "Gotham Missile Corporation" sign in the background of the giant-umbrella scenes. That company's proximity to the K.G. Bird factory could explain why the building-rattling launch of the ballistic bumbershoot didn't spark a panic: Blastoffs might have been normal in that neighborhood. :)

Also, I noticed that Semple was even more thorough than I'd realized in using avian-themed character names for the episode. Besides Penguin and his goons (with their bird-y nicknames) and Dawn Robbins and the Pelican Arms, there's Ms. Robbins' handler Mr. Jay and the (unseen but twice-mentioned) studio boss, Mr. Eagle.
Kite Kid

Post by Kite Kid »

I noticed this for the first time approximately 10 minutes ago:

In "Penguin's Clean Sweep," we see Penguin's henchmen Dustbag and Pushbroom throughout the episode, but when he arrives at Gotham City National Bank right before the batfight, he suddenly has three more. At first, I thought they were wearing the black shirts that say "Henchman" -- recycled from "Enter Batgirl, Exit Penguin" -- but they're not. Their shirts show that all three have names: Washrag, Wetmop and Soap.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Kite Kid wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:12 pm I noticed this for the first time approximately 10 minutes ago:

In "Penguin's Clean Sweep," we see Penguin's henchmen Dustbag and Pushbroom throughout the episode, but when he arrives at Gotham City National Bank right before the batfight, he suddenly has three more. At first, I thought they were wearing the black shirts that say "Henchman" -- recycled from "Enter Batgirl, Exit Penguin" -- but they're not. Their shirts show that all three have names: Washrag, Wetmop and Soap.
That was seemingly a regular occurrence where henchman who don't utter a word temporarily overwhelm the Duo without overwhelming Dozier's budget--since they get paid a lower rate.
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

Kite Kid wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:12 pm Their shirts show that all three have names: Washrag, Wetmop and Soap.
Penguin must have been pretty angry at his henchmen to give them such silly names! :D

Interesting, I had never noticed the additional henchmen’s names.
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
dell

Post by dell »

THE BATPHONE! wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:05 pm
Kite Kid wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:12 pm Their shirts show that all three have names: Washrag, Wetmop and Soap.
Penguin must have been pretty angry at his henchmen to give them such silly names! :D

Interesting, I had never noticed the additional henchmen’s names.
Because Dustbag is so much better than Washrag! :D
dell
Kite Kid

Post by Kite Kid »

I'm not sure if this qualifies as something I didn't notice before or if it's a full-blown plot hole, but:

In "Surf's Up! Joker's Under!," Batman tells Robin to take a taxi or the subway to Wayne Manor, to return as Dick Grayson in his car and to bring his surfboard, because Batman will need it. But the surfboard Dick brings is red with two white stripes down the center. That’s not what Batman uses in the contest. So where did that board come from and why did he tell Dick to bring his? Or did he take the time to repaint Dick’s surfboard yellow and slap a Bat-emblem on it?
Kite Kid

Post by Kite Kid »

Another observation: Ever since I read about how several of the outdoor scenes in "The Bookworm Turns/While Gotham City Burns" have bookshops in the background, I've paid much closer attention to subtle details. Rewatching "The Cat's Meow," I noticed that at the very beginning of the episode, three clocks on the wall behind Dick, Bruce and Harry Upps are labeled "Istanbul," "Tierra del Fuego" -- and "Coney Island"!
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

This may be a little skewed from the intent of the thread, since it's not about a detail revealed in remastered video, but it concerns something I took a long time to notice (and it doesn't warrant a thread of its own).

I've been running Season 2 shows in the background as I work; it helps me stay in my chair while I'm writing, and as I inevitably tune out and then pick up the plot several minutes or even episodes later, I have no trouble getting reoriented, since I know these episodes really well by now. Even so, I only just caught what I think is an extremely clever bit of absurdity in the Clock King episodes. I've always liked Bill Finger's script for its detective-story beats: Batman and Robin go straight to the crime scene instead of to Gordon's office; they seek Clock King's old accomplice for clues to his whereabouts, and of course they deduce the location of his hideout after CK drops his watch.

It's this last bit that I've only just understood as a fairly deep joke: Batman analyzes dust in Clock King's "lost" watch and discovers it contains aluminum oxide, a mineral used to create synthetic gems for watch movements, and so concludes that CK must be holing up in a factory where synthetic gems are made. That's a perfect hideout for a clockwork crook, after all, and part of the thematic unity that make these episodes my favorites from season two. But the joke (if it's intended as such) is that dust from synthetic gems would be found in practically ANY consumer-level watch made in the mid 60s. Quartz movements hadn't come along yet, so all but the fanciest watches from Harry Hummert's jewelry store would have had synthetic jewels in them (and traces of faux-gem dust inside their cases). So Batman and Robin could have picked up pretty much anyone's Timex and analyzed the dust inside, and the "evidence" would have pointed to Clock King's location!
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Watching "Mummy's Uncle" and noticed that the Batmobile, just before Tut bursts through the cave wall is facing inward towards the Batpoles and outward after the breach. Stock footage shot likely for the inward view.

Also, same episode; stock footage; don't know if anyone ever noticed that the Batmobile seat belt buckles have a bat logo on them:
Attachments
BATMOBILE seat belt buckle scap.png
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Jim Akin wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:11 am Batman and Robin go straight to the crime scene instead of to Gordon's office; they seek Clock King's old accomplice for clues to his whereabouts, and of course they deduce the location of his hideout after CK drops his watch.

It's this last bit that I've only just understood as a fairly deep joke: Batman analyzes dust in Clock King's "lost" watch and discovers it contains aluminum oxide, a mineral used to create synthetic gems for watch movements, and so concludes that CK must be holing up in a factory where synthetic gems are made. That's a perfect hideout for a clockwork crook, after all, and part of the thematic unity that make these episodes my favorites from season two. But the joke (if it's intended as such) is that dust from synthetic gems would be found in practically ANY consumer-level watch made in the mid 60s. Quartz movements hadn't come along yet, so all but the fanciest watches from Harry Hummert's jewelry store would have had synthetic jewels in them (and traces of faux-gem dust inside their cases). So Batman and Robin could have picked up pretty much anyone's Timex and analyzed the dust inside, and the "evidence" would have pointed to Clock King's location!
Plus, it was also a great place for Sammy Davis Jr. and his band to practice. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Dr. Shimel wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:10 am
Plus, it was also a great place for Sammy Davis Jr. and his band to practice. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ha! Yes. I'm glad you mentioned that, because when the episode ran I momentarily wondered what tune Sammy was resuming as he turned away from the window and back to his rehearsal, then it slipped my mind. Fortunately, "whippoorwill" doesn't show up in too many lyrics. The song, which he was picking up in the middle with his imaginary band, is The Birth of the Blues.
Kite Kid

Post by Kite Kid »

When Alfred overhears Lord Ffogg and Lady Peasoup plotting in the third part of the Londinium trilogy, part of the dialogue he hears is recycled from the second part of the story.

In "The Bloody Tower," when Alfred listens in, he hears the following ...

PEASOUP: I don't see why the girls -
FFOGG: It was your idea, my sweet.
PEASOUP: Yes, but that was before we decided to fog in on the Crown Jewels.

... which is edited audio from "The Foggiest Notion," where this exchange took place (I've italicized the extracted parts):

PEASOUP: Our possible hostage is arriving any minute now, Marmaduke. And I don't see why the girls and I are expected to go down to the docks and be by the Three Bells.
FFOGG: It was your idea, my sweet, to lift that cargo bound for the dominions from Barnaby Street.
PEASOUP: Yes, but that was before we decided to fog in on the Crown Jewels.