Things you didn't notice or remember until seeing the DVDs

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Ben Bentley

Re: Things you didn't notice or remember until seeing the DVDs

Post by Ben Bentley »

Jim Akin wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:10 am In "Holy Rat Race," as Batman guns the Batmobile after pausing at the entrance to Bioscope Studios, a sign on the cyclone-fence gate behind the car reads "NO TRESPASSING: Desilu Studios."
Keen eyes, Jim! I loved it when I saw that, in fairness i've always loved the walkthrough of the Desilu 40 Acres back lot that Holy Rat Race provided, but the Blu Ray really took it to a whole new level. For those playing along at home, the 40 Acres backlot was not on the main studio lot at Desilu Culver, rather it was at the end of Ince Bl, the street from which you would access the main studio lot.
Screenshot 2021-11-16 at 20.28.16.jpg
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

GREAT IMAGE BEN!
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Great pic Ben! Would the "Biograph" gate have been at about 5 o'oclock in photo, where the road to the backlot veers left off what looks like the end of a public road?

The next shot in the Rat Race sequence shows Batman and Robin passing by quonset huts -- presumably the cluster of buildings seen at about 4 o'clock in the photo. I realize there need be no physical proximity between the shots -- simply trying to map what's seen in the episode to what's recognizable in the photo. Specific buildings in the show -- the saloon where FF poses as a cowboy, etc. -- could no doubt be matched to the pic by someone familiar with the lot, but I'm not able to spot anything distinctive enough to even guess.

Was this the same "abandoned studio" where Shame and Laughing Leo ambushed our heroes?
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

I previously did a thread matching specific buildings in the 40 Acres backlot to what we see in the episode. The quonset huts are the ones from "Gomer Pyle USMC" and also recognizable are a number of buildings that were originally built for "Gone With The Wind" when this was the RKO backlot.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=907
Jerb

Post by Jerb »

Nice image Ben, great to found it
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

epaddon wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:35 am I previously did a thread matching specific buildings in the 40 Acres backlot to what we see in the episode. The quonset huts are the ones from "Gomer Pyle USMC" and also recognizable are a number of buildings that were originally built for "Gone With The Wind" when this was the RKO backlot.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=907
Thanks for linking to that. I recalled past discussions of the various backlots and sets, but had forgotten your detailed breakdown of this particular episode. It looks like the aerial photo you used for your analysis (in the linked thread) is rotated roughly 180 degrees from the one Ben shared above.
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

The 1st Ma Parker episode where they’re around the dinner table, right before the guy puts the grapefruit in his sister’s face…lol!

You guys telling me nobody heard that!?!?
antman67

Post by antman67 »

If you watch season 2 episode 19 "Green Ice" & episode 20 "Deep Freeze" Burt ward suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns which producers tried to hide during filming. Covering his burned and bandaged arm with his cape, turning his body using his side profile and usually having an object placed in front him but sometimes the gauze was seen. I saw an interview with Burt and he said he knew something was wrong when they were about to do pyrotechnics and he could smell alcohol on their breath at 8 o'clock in the morning which is never a good sign. It looks like they used a field dressing bandage on his arm?
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg
I'm a fan of Batman 1966 and other Batman movies too
dell

Post by dell »

In "Better Luck Next Time" Robin's tiger trap is set up backwards. The rope connected to the bag of sand is pulling UP on the board when it should be pulling down. The idea is that as the sand runs out Robin's weight will cause his end of the board to weigh more than the sand and he will fall into the pit. However, with the bag full of sand it is actually causing Robin's end of the board to be tipping down twice as much. You can see henchman #3 leaning on the board to hold it down before they move it to the center of the pit.
dell
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

TRUNK.jpg
Something I'd never noticed before...

In the conclusion to Julie's next to last pair of episodes "Scat" - she steals the Batmobile and stops at a warehouse and makes a run for it. When she pulls up in the Batmobile it's all normal, but when Batman and Robin pull up in a police car there is now some kind of fabric covering the trunk-- I assume they did it because of that intense sun reflection which we can see on the police car trunk.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

AndyFish wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:43 am TRUNK.jpg

Something I'd never noticed before...

In the conclusion to Julie's next to last pair of episodes "Scat" - she steals the Batmobile and stops at a warehouse and makes a run for it. When she pulls up in the Batmobile it's all normal, but when Batman and Robin pull up in a police car there is now some kind of fabric covering the trunk-- I assume they did it because of that intense sun reflection which we can see on the police car trunk.
Oh that is the Anti- Glare Bat trunk Mat that Batman had in his utility belt. Nice find.
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
antman67

Post by antman67 »

Was watching this episode today and Julie Newmar almost slipped sitting down
Attachments
batman.jpg
antman67

Post by antman67 »

Never noticed this before?
Attachments
batman.jpg
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Saw this and felt it appropriate for this thread. The 3 Stooges’ Joe Besser has a walk-on cameo but no lines in the episode “Hizzonner The Penguin” starting at +8:30.

Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Another thing I just noticed - the girl on the left in this shot looks like Judy Strangis (sister of production director Sam & of "Electro Woman & Dyna Girl" fame.) Yes? No?
Attachments
Penguin episode.png
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66