Things you didn't notice or remember until seeing the DVDs

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

dell

Re: Things you didn't notice or remember until seeing the DV

Post by dell »

You can see beads of sweat on Batman and Robin's faces when Catwoman has them tied up under the magnifying glasses in Hot Off the Griddle.
dell
Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

A. Pennyworth wrote:
1966.batmobile wrote:In "Batman Stands Pat" there is a scene where they get into the Batmobile, and Adam's cape is caught in the door. I wonder how many episodes did that happen in?
Here is the episode you named and Hubie Kerns also had his cape caught!
Good catch, 1966.batmobile and A Pennyworth. I remember posting a pic from an unused take from Smack In The Middle in this thread, but I guess they didn't have the time to worry about retakes in subsequent episodes.
I act the riddler

Post by I act the riddler »

Just got the dvd set 3 weeks ago.One thing I never saw was the ribbon on penguins hat further down towards the rim of the hat. Other things like : Louie the lilac had a special car.Sometimes in syndication they only show 40 or 50 episodes over and over.Had not seen this episode in a long time. Im watching the series in backwards order season 3 first!!!
Please do not embed videos into signatures.
- The management.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Had I just forgotten them, or did syndicators commonly cut Gordon's instructions to the machine gunners planted in the concert hall for Chandell's performance? They cracked me up when I rewatched "The Devil's Fingers" last night.

Cheers,

QQ
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

I didn't notice from way back then until the Blu-ray release just how bad the production really is. I still love watching the show, but it is just so obvious that they were filming these things at high speed. One that I noticed last night was at the beginning of Zodiac Crimes with Joker sitting in the window ledge in Gordon's office. The open window frames look so cheap considering how expensive and classy Joker is supposed to look. Gordon couldn't do better than balsawood window frames? Then there's things like the really bad-looking drawn images of buildings/areas in Gotham they punch up on the computer. I mean really - how hard to have taken a couple photos around L.A. to use? There's lots to harp on, but I try to look past it to enjoy the show - the same I do with all shows from the '60s and '70s.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Yellow Oval wrote:I didn't notice from way back then until the Blu-ray release just how bad the production really is. I still love watching the show, but it is just so obvious that they were filming these things at high speed.
Filming 94 episodes AND a full-length movie in the space of about 15 months don't leave a lot of time for introspection. :D
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Finally got a DVD set for $1.00 (for a week from the local library!). I spent the week downloading stills and got through Seasons One and Two, and the first thing I spotted from the pilot: someone forgot to charge the Bat-extinguisher -
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

I still can't see the airhole Molly was breathing through! :P
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
NJ_Batfan

Post by NJ_Batfan »

Here's another example of cost cutting in Season 3:

The coming attraction in the epilogue of "The Ogg Couple" has two shots of Catwoman and Joker in the Kitty Car that don't match up as they are lifted directly from the two parter. The first shot, a close up of the duo in the car laughing, comes from "The Joke's on Catwoman." The second shot of the car pulling away is from "The Funny Feline Felonies" when Joker is being "kidnapped."

Still with me? So what, you say? The close up has the Joker in his fuchsia suit, but when the shot switches to the car pulling away, he is wearing the gray suit he is issued at Gotham State Prison.
dell

Post by dell »

o
NJ_Batfan wrote:Here's another example of cost cutting in Season 3:

The coming attraction in the epilogue of "The Ogg Couple" has two shots of Catwoman and Joker in the Kitty Car that don't match up as they are lifted directly from the two parter. The first shot, a close up of the duo in the car laughing, comes from "The Joke's on Catwoman." The second shot of the car pulling away is from "The Funny Feline Felonies" when Joker is being "kidnapped."

Still with me? So what, you say? The close up has the Joker in his fuchsia suit, but when the shot switches to the car pulling away, he is wearing the gray suit he is issued at Gotham State Prison.
When I was in college I had a class on media such as TV and movies. One of the things we were taught was that in the days of film the coming attractions for movies was the stuff left on the cutting room floor. They often had multiple takes of the same scene, so they just gave the preview department the film they didn't want. So it was entirely possible that a scene eventually deleted from the movie would be in the coming attractions.

We never talked about TV shows coming attractions, but it would certainly seem possible they did the same thing. The scenario you describe seems like it came about from what I was taught.
dell
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

The whole cost-cutting in S3 is something that was based on it being the only way ABC would keep the show on the air. With Dozier's only focus at that point on syndication, no doubt he quickly agreed and then slashed away.
NJ_Batfan

Post by NJ_Batfan »

Dr. Shimel wrote:The whole cost-cutting in S3 is something that was based on it being the only way ABC would keep the show on the air. With Dozier's only focus at that point on syndication, no doubt he quickly agreed and then slashed away.
Agreed. In no time at all, we went from new promo segments with Riddler, Siren, etc., to just pasting in footage from the actual episodes.
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Actually I don't think that was the case at all in Season 3. Even when a tag promo for next week had footage from the actual episode (Ffog/Peasoup and Cassandra/Cabala come to mind) the scene as a whole was always unique to the episode just ending.
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

While I would've preferred proper sets for the third season, rather than ones that make it almost seem like a theatre production, they do have some appeal for me. It just adds some surreality to the already out there mood.

Or maybe I'm just used to them.

Perhaps people's minds fill in the emptiness as they watch; not that they literally see a set that isn't there, just that the barren parts become part of the background and not an example of a cheaper budget.
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

I skimmed through this thread as I only have a few minutes to leave for work, but I watched he Cat and the Fiddle last night and noticed Robin's cape falls off when they were being strangled on the window ledge.

"Careful, Robin, it's quite a drop...and your cape is getting loose."

It comes off as they struggle to gain the upper hand, then the next shot, a faraway one, shows the cape intact. I know Robin didn't call for a time-out and slip it back on. Alfred wasn't around to act as Valet, so.....

The new DVD's are fun - what other bloopers are out there I haven't noticed, but will see when I check them out?