Things you didn't notice or remember until seeing the DVDs

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Bat-fan01

Re: Things you didn't notice or remember until seeing the DVDs

Post by Bat-fan01 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:11 am

I didn't notice all of that, but the Penguin's nose is in plastic and everyone know that was makeup tricks!
That is sure that Adam and Burt have stunts doubles ! When they punch the criminals, I think it's him,but when it's the criminals that punch Batman and Robin, yes it's stunts double!
To The Batcave, Batfans! :D https://youtu.be/QMXiXQ8uRoo

Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:21 am

Dept. of Too Much Time on My Hands:

I was curious about some of the background material on the wall of Joker's hideout in his robot/bank caper, which upon closer inspection has quite an eclectic bent.

The first photo (in the upper right corner) references Charles Morgan's short 1941 novel, "The Empty Room," which one online item described as such: "its theme is the power of men and women, and indirectly of nations, to be born again when all seems lost." Below that is a reference to a May 1939 story from "Double Detective" magazine written by Richard Sale and entitled, "Somebody Stole My Ghoul."

The final photo is on the back of the entrance door to the hideout and references a concert by Eugene Ysaye, a legendary violinist from a century ago. I wasn't able to find out what year the concert took place, though it's clear the date was September 25. The New York Hippodrome was the largest theater in the world and could seat 5,000 people. Supposedly the stage was 10 times larger than the typical Broadway theater, so it's clear this was a big event. It was torn down in the late 30's.
Attachments
joker1.png
ghoul.png
ghoul.png (422.98 KiB) Viewed 481 times
Screenshot 2019-05-23 at 8.28.35 PM.png

Kite Kid

Post by Kite Kid » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:55 pm

Ben Bentley wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:37 am
The building in question (sometimes referred in the studio's history as "The Colonial Home") is in fact the front offices of the Desilu/Culver Studios.

How cool! That's just one of the great things about being a member of this board: learning about background like this. I figured it was significant building because of how often they used it but had no idea it was the main Desilu/Culver office.

And I think I've spotted it again. I believe it's also the exterior of the Eta Beta Latke sorority house in "Catwoman Goes to College."

Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:57 am

After umpteen viewings of "Fine Feathered Finks," I only just noticed the "Gotham Missile Corporation" sign in the background of the giant-umbrella scenes. That company's proximity to the K.G. Bird factory could explain why the building-rattling launch of the ballistic bumbershoot didn't spark a panic: Blastoffs might have been normal in that neighborhood. :)

Also, I noticed that Semple was even more thorough than I'd realized in using avian-themed character names for the episode. Besides Penguin and his goons (with their bird-y nicknames) and Dawn Robbins and the Pelican Arms, there's Ms. Robbins' handler Mr. Jay and the (unseen but twice-mentioned) studio boss, Mr. Eagle.