Parodied Names in the '66 series

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Commodore Schmidlapp

Re: Parodied Names in the '66 series

Post by Commodore Schmidlapp »

Dr. Shimel wrote:
clavierankh wrote:Githam Cities neighbor state was New Guernsey. Catwoman organized the college protest in Chimes Square. They had Sort Island Sound Phoney Island

There was Londinium that had Gleet Street and Barnaby Street .
One of the millionaires kidnapped in the first Egghead episode owned the baseball team, the New York Pets.
I don't think it was the same episode, but there was one where the Batcomputer came up with a Pets game that was being played at Spay Stadium, a parody of Shea Stadium.
LittleLouisGroovy

Post by LittleLouisGroovy »

In "The Thirteenth Hat/Batman Stands Pat," The Mad Hatter impersonates sculptor Octave Marbot. Well, last night, I was watching Luis Bunuel's Diary of a Chambermaid and noticed in the credits that the screenplay was based on a novel by Octave Mirbeau.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

LittleLouisGroovy wrote:In "The Thirteenth Hat/Batman Stands Pat," The Mad Hatter impersonates sculptor Octave Marbot.
With his red hair and brown beard. :lol:
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Revisiting Season 3 and "I'll Be a Mummy's Uncle," I caught a mention of "H.L. Hunter," the mining engineer Tut hired to drill for Nilanium under Wayne Manor. He's a take-off on Texas oil tycoon H.L. Hunt, who was one of the world's richest men when "Batman" was airing.

Two of his sons, who each inherited just a fraction of their father's fortune, got in hot water in the early 80s for trying to hijack the global silver market. (Silver is much softer than Nilanium, but it has the distinct advantage of not being fictional.)
Bill S.C.

Post by Bill S.C. »

Progress Pigment wrote:In the Egghead episode Bruce Wayne mentions to Dick that he had obtained raccoon pelts -- from a raccoon coat he had purchased from "a crooner who'd fallen on hard times". He meant Rudy Vallee, who later played Lord Ffogg! And Maid Marilyn was a takeoff of Maid Marion from Robin Hood of course. In a Catwoman two-parter there was a painfully stupid policeman called "Captain Courageous". Of course based on the book "Captain's Courageous". But I have wondered if it was partially meant to be a jab at "Courageous Cat and Minute Mouse", a cartoon character very broadly based on Batman & Robin, and created by Bob Kane!

Speaking of Rudy Vallee, Stan Ross also did a parody of his name in the episode That Darn Catwoman, when he named the valet of inventor Pat Pending (also a parody for pat. pending or patent pending) Rudy; Rudy Valet.

BTW, I think the name Captain Courageous was a parody of the book "Captains Courageous" by Rudyard Kipling.
"Oh soon we'll be out amid the cold world's strife. Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life." - Tom Lehrer
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Man. For whatever reason, I just never paid that close of attention to all those names. Reading it now, it is painfully obvious what all these names were. Ok, I'll go sit in the corner now.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

I just found another one.

In "Zelda the Great," Batman and Robin plant a bugged emerald at Hillary Stonewin's jewelry store. Hillary Stonewin is a feminized play on the name of famed gem merchant Harry Winston. The gender-swap is in keeping with Zelda herself, who was based on a male character in a 1965 comics story, a magician named Carnado.

Doom-trap inventor Eivol Ekdal was a (male) character from the comics as well; while looking up the correct spelling of his name, I discovered that he appeared in a second comics story in 1967, without Carnado. That story involved a trap constructed at the behest of East German agents -- and Ekdal didn't survive the adventure.

Cheers,

Jim
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

No one has mentioned Spiffany's Jewelry store, robbed by Dr Cassandra. (ie. Tiffany's).

Cabala would suggest "magic", as in "The Cabala is not new. It’s been around for centuries. The Cabala is actually ancient magic. It is an exotic blend of devilish, sometimes fanciful, New Age mystical practices..."
http://www.texemarrs.com/012006/occult_ ... cabala.htm

King Tut's molls were Cleo Patrick and Florence of Arabia.

Manny the Mesopotamian would be derived from Cubricus, who became Manes of Mesopotamia.

Edward Everett Horton parodied his own character of Roaring Chicken, from TV's "F Troop", as Chief Screaming Chicken in an Egghead episode.
philigan wrote: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:53 pm Doesn't the sign read the KO Corral in the Shame episode?
Yep! Noticed that only recently.
Jim Akin wrote: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:37 am Feminist icon Gloria Steinem's last name sounds like a New Yorker's pronunciation (think Archie Bunker) of "sternum." Bat-scriptwriter Stanford Sherman used a different human bone as the surname of his woman's-libber villain, Nora Clavicle.
Ah! Thank you for that! Always wondered about "Clavicle". Could only think of "cold shoulder".
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
The Boss

Post by The Boss »

I like this thread. Wish I had known about it when I watch the entire series recently.

We all know this one (I just feel the obligation to add to the thread); in Batman:The Movie the villains stole the dehydrated members of the United World which of course was a parody of the United Nations
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

Jim Akin wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:53 am Revisiting Season 3 and "I'll Be a Mummy's Uncle," I caught a mention of "H.L. Hunter," the mining engineer Tut hired to drill for Nilanium under Wayne Manor. He's a take-off on Texas oil tycoon H.L. Hunt, who was one of the world's richest men when "Batman" was airing.

Two of his sons, who each inherited just a fraction of their father's fortune, got in hot water in the early 80s for trying to hijack the global silver market. (Silver is much softer than Nilanium, but it has the distinct advantage of not being fictional.)
Speaking of biz tycoons : Larry Hagman claimed that JR was based off friends of his :lol:
BatmanFan102

Post by BatmanFan102 »

Pat Pending (who the Commish thought was actually Batman!)

Catwoman's car being a Catillac.

John Astin's Riddler has Anna Gram as his moll.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

There was Pat Pendi he's valet Rudy. Rudy Valley
Therin of Andor

clavierankh wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:56 pm There was Pat Pendi he's valet Rudy. Rudy Valley
As explained higher up in the thread (by Bill S.C.), Stanley Ralph Ross had some fun in the episode "That Darn Catwoman": The inventor was Pat Pending (ie. "patent pending", a joke name we saw used again in "The Wacky Races") and Pending's valet was named Rudy Valet, a send up of Rudy Vallée (of course, aka Lord Ffogg).

The other Pat Pending:

Pat Pending builds the better mousetrap by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Ha! Just saw this in an online interview with Ross:

"Talking about 'That Darn Catwoman'/'Scat! Darn Catwoman' – 'I had used some obscure dirty words in the scripts. Obscure in other languages. They got some flack. They got letters from people who thought it was funny that I used these obscure dirty words. But the network warned me not to do that again, I said I wouldn't. Then I was doing a show where they had this sheik that had to be weighed. I called him "Missentiff of Furderber". "Furderber" is a friend of mine, Skip Furderber, like furburger, so I changed it to "Sheik Ibn Kereb" which in Arabic means "son of a b*i*t*c*h". They never caught it!'”
Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor

Hilarious! Until I added asterisks to my quote about, the board's software rendered the sentence as "... which in Arabic means 'son of a ***Censored: find another word that suggests good manners***'."
Therin of Andor

hmartinsfilho

Post by hmartinsfilho »

Liberace as Chandell.