SS Gotham Queen question

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Fig Newton

SS Gotham Queen question

Post by Fig Newton »

The episode "Ice Spy" opens with a shot of the SS Gotham Queen, a model that looks like a cross between the Titanic and the Queen Mary. Considering the show's modest budget I'm sure this rather impressive model footage was probably lifted from another 20th Century Fox production. Does anyone know what film that shot is from?
Beat Disko Tech

Re: SS Gotham Queen question

Post by Beat Disko Tech »

I want to say Poseidon Adventure but that wasn't filmed until 1972. It does look like the Queen Mary though. Seems the mystery continues....
Batman: Go back outside and calm the flower children.
Robin: They'll mob me!
Batman: Groovy.
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

I need to break out the copy but I have a suspicion that the footage could be from the 1953 Fox movie "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" which had a lengthy sequence set aboard an ocean liner (in fact they used the same sets that were being used for another movie "Titanic" at the time).
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Just did a cross-check. It is indeed stock footage done for "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes". Although the exact establishing shot in the Batman episode is not in the movie, there is an alternate shot showing the same model where it's supposed to be the Queen Mary. I think extra footage of the miniature not used in the film was then just put in a stock footage library for exactly those kind of establishing scenes.
Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

Thanks for solving the mystery. :)
Fig Newton

Post by Fig Newton »

Yes! Thank you!!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

I'm often in two minds about resurrecting threads, but having just finished watching "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" (and having momentarily forgotten this thread) I pulled some screen captures to compare to "Ice Spy" and indeed what we see in Batman appears to be exactly what Epaddon described, an alternate take from the same batch of footage shot for "GPB". Click below to enlarge:

"Ice Spy" - S2, 1967
Batman S02E59 - Ice Spy - 0001.jpg
"Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" - 1953
Gentlemen_Prefere_Blondes-Ship.jpeg
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Excellent! Even the clouds match!
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

bat-rss wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:47 am Excellent! Even the clouds match!
Again, I would need to pull the captures to support the following claim but i’m pretty certain that this sequence with the model was shot on the Fox Ranch on the same lake with the same painted backdrop as the surface level submarine sequences in the ‘66 Batman Movie.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

So you're saying that they simply used old footage to save some money? Oh yeah, this was the end of Season Two. :lol:
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Dr. Shimel wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:34 pm So you're saying that they simply used old footage to save some money? Oh yeah, this was the end of Season Two. :lol:
To be fair - the pilot opened with existing footage of The 1965 World's Fair after all! haha
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

TV Batman's connections with Fox's 1953 production of "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" aren't all as obscure as the re-use of stock footage. Two cast members also appeared in both GPB and separate episodes of Batman:

Tommy Noonan appeared as "Jolly Jackson" in S2's "Batman's Waterloo"
Batman S02E54 - Batman's Waterloo - 0556.jpg

Norma Varden also appeared as "Mrs. Monteagle" in S1's "The Thirteenth Hat"

bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Ben Bentley wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:55 pm
Dr. Shimel wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:34 pm So you're saying that they simply used old footage to save some money? Oh yeah, this was the end of Season Two. :lol:
To be fair - the pilot opened with existing footage of The 1965 World's Fair after all! haha
Ah, I see! I'll have to search the submarine fight scene for those same clouds, haha
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

bat-rss wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:09 pm
Ben Bentley wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:55 pm
Ah, I see! I'll have to search the submarine fight scene for those same clouds, haha
Well let's start the ball rolling:

bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

To quote Alfred in "Scat! Darn Catwoman!", "Good show, sir!"

Seems to me, though, that the clouds in the Batfilm background don't look the same as the ones in the Gotham Queen shots. We could just be getting a different section of the backdrop...