Eartha Kitt as Catwoman

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

kennetzel

Eartha Kitt as Catwoman

Post by kennetzel »

I have a question, and pardon me if it's been covered, I haven't been around for a while. But why did they go with Ertha Kitt as Catwoman instead of staying with the queen of Catwomen, Julie Newmar. Did Julie quit? Did she want more money, so they did a John Aston on her? Ertha was good, but for me, Julie will always be Catwoman.
Bat Username

Re: Ertha Kitt as Catwoman

Post by Bat Username »

The conventional wisdom has always been that she was unavailable for season three due to her work on Mackenna's Gold. This is also the reason Julie herself has given for years. Fans have long speculated that there may have been other personal factors involved- such as a dispute over salary or a feeling that the show was in decline- but if so only Julie knows for sure.

Incidentally, Julie was unable to participate in the Batman movie because of a back injury.
High C

Re: Eartha Kitt as Catwoman

Post by High C »

Bat Username wrote:The conventional wisdom has always been that she was unavailable for season three due to her work on Mackenna's Gold. This is also the reason Julie herself has given for years. Fans have long speculated that there may have been other personal factors involved- such as a dispute over salary or a feeling that the show was in decline- but if so only Julie knows for sure.

Incidentally, Julie was unable to participate in the Batman movie because of a back injury.
To the OP. it's spelled 'Eartha,' if you want to change the thread title.

Bat Username, you said if very well about the speculation, which has been buoyed by the fact that the Mackenna's Gold shoot ended in plenty of time for Julie to participate in season 3. According to Adam's book, Julie disagreed with the way the producers and writers wanted her to play CW, yet she went along with it anyway. Perhaps she was tired of playing the lovesick CW.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17