ABC Network Summer Reruns and Bumper Mystery

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

High C

Re: ABC Network Summer Reruns and Bumper Mystery

Post by High C »

Bob Furmanek wrote:My pleasure and I"m happy to share the information.

Now that we've busted the myth about the Liberace episode, here's another I'd like to tackle: The report that NBC was interested in a 4th season but the sets had been taken down. I can find no mention of this in Variety.

Does anyone know when the final episode wrapped shooting? The show is still listed as an active production in the December 22, 1967 listing.

This quote appears on January 3: "And we got three years out of 'Batman.' We are building up tremendous residual values."

Once the ABC cancellation notice was reported on January 24, 1968, the show was put on the market for syndication within a week.
Bob, again, great info! Thanks.

Dozier's paperwork shows that production on the final ep, Minerva, Mayhem and Millionaires, wrapped on Thursday, Dec. 21, 1967. It actually was a four-day shoot, as opposed to the usual three. I suppose they had the leftover money at that point to do so. You'll note that ep has actual sets like the first two seasons, as opposed to the black linoleum limbo sets used for most of the rest of S3.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Bob Furmanek

Post by Bob Furmanek »

It's always been my approach with research to back up information like that with concrete documentation from primary source materials. Otherwise, a writer can claim anything they want.

From what I've seen, the ratings were very poor on the third season and there's no reason to believe that NBC would have had any interest in picking up the show.

Adam attended the DR. DOOLITTLE premiere in Hollywood on December 21, 1967. On January 23, 1968, Variety reported: "Adam West back from American Film Week in Punta Del Este, Uruguay."

Based on this evidence, it would appear the show finished production in December and by early January, it was already known that it was to be canceled.
Bob Furmanek

Post by Bob Furmanek »

I missed your post, High C. Thanks for that date!

So the show wrapped on December 21 and less than two weeks later, was referred to in the past tense. That leaves very little time for a set to be demolished, especially over the holidays.
AHTrois

Post by AHTrois »

I seem to recall researching the exact same lists several years before on this board...along with Batman Production Credits and Network Competition. But nevertheless, nice post! 😊