ROBIN ROOTERS ???????

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

chetchumley

ROBIN ROOTERS ???????

Post by chetchumley »

Don't get me wrong...ii love ADAM WEST !!,,, but i seems he is reaping ALL the benefits of the BATMAN series release ????i,m all 4 the attention he is getting,,,long over due as a matter of fact,,,,,BUT !! why hasn't BURT WARD T.V.S ROBIN the BOY WONDER....gotten his share....??/ i speak of the EXTRA,S on the series sets...ADAM has his own "HANGING WITH BATMAN"....all BURT wound up with is clips scattered through out !!!!!.....heck adam even has ....STARRING ADAM WEST thats being released...{ got mine on order :P }.....anyway my point is where is BURT WARDS appreciate fans ???....granted burt does not have a long storied HOLLYWOOD career as ADAM does,,,,,BUT...i for one would enjoy a BURT only release on D.V.D of his career ...he has been on enough TV.SHOWS.......MOVIES ; ) .....not to mention TALK SHOWS,,,,,,GAME SHOWS,,,,etc,,etc,,to sustain such a video ??? i wonder if he feels the same way...????..and yes BURT is enjoying the NEW BAT-ITEMS being released i,m sure....i do know i would be one of the first to line up for such a D.V.D !!!!! there we have it !!!!!! are you a "ROBIN ROOTER" also ????
eewdoc

Re: ROBIN ROOTERS ???????

Post by eewdoc »

I would like to see Burt Ward and Yvonne Craig get some spotlight, As well as more of Julie Newmar.
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

I heard a rumor that Yvonne wasn't even approached. Could this be true?
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

I'm 100% certain Yvonne wasn't approached. They are celebrating the heyday of the series, not the decline. For me it's all Adam anyway. The show was called BATMAN. It's West, Bale, Keaton, Kilmer & Clooney. In order of importance. Personally, Adam West is the one I wanted to see. Glad they got it while the man is still with us and on top of his game. I really love Burt Ward. But he has repeated his injury stories over & over. What's left to say? How he was the first choice before Dustin Hoffman for 'The Graduate'? :roll: I thought the DVD's spotlighted him well enough. I am incredibly thrilled with the whole thing! In my opinion, it was beautifully done. I would not change a thing.

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
chetchumley

Post by chetchumley »

this was,nt meant to be a popularity contest !!! WHO IS YOUR FAV ??? BATMAN OR ROBIN/??? lord knows they did this numerous times back in the 60s !!! in those FAB TEEN MAGS !!! :D ,,,,And yes we all know the show was titled " BATMAN' !! ...My point & question was ???? BURT WARDS contribution to the show....and yes we may have heard his stories of injuries on the set....etc...etc...BUT we have also heard ADAM,S ,,,have you seen any unusual people around here ?? or...???..let me stand here a moment so you can admire my crimefighting physique???? .. :lol: ....this is just part of them reliving something they have been talking about & explaining for almost 50 years !!! b.t.w back in the 60s burt was quite the teen idol !! ;) ......and lets not forget they were called the dynamic DUO !!!!!.......AND ON A CLOSING NOTE THE "GRREN HORNET" SHOW was called the "KATO" show in japan.....just saying !!! ;)
High C

Post by High C »

I'll admit I was dismayed that so much of the focus in the extras was on Adam. Don't get me wrong, I think Adam is terrific and always will be my favorite Batman, and he deserves so much credit for bringing the character to life.

With that said, it was a team effort. I'm fine with Adam taking a victory lap--he deserves it. But as the OP pointed out, Adam also has his go-to lines, just like Burt. How many times have we heard 'curious stirrings in my utility belt' and yes, that line is in one of the extras, although for once it wasn't about Julie.

Biggest mistake of omission among many in the extras--pilot director Robert Butler is alive and well and lucid and should have been interviewed. Case closed. Who knows, maybe he could have laid to rest the mythos about missing scenes in the pilot.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

Progress Pigment wrote:They are celebrating the heyday of the series, not the decline.
Well, if you don't mind me saying so...that's just silly. The series as a whole is being celebrated, not specific eras. If what you say is true, they wouldn't have even bothered putting the second or third seasons on the set at all. I feel the series started its decline with the Archer episode at the top of season 2.

The only times you'll see a "heyday" of a TV series celebrated is when they do a "Best Of" set. But since this is the COMPLETE set, they're clearly acknowledging the entire series and not just a specific time when ratings were good. And thus I feel the omission of other Bat participants from the set was woefully remiss.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

This will probably come as a surprise to many of you, but to those who know me it won't. I'm not an Adam West, Burt Ward or Yvonne Craig fan. I like them as Batman and Robin and Batgirl and like all the fond memories of childhood watching the show. That's it. I have never seen too much of what they've done except for the Batman related things. And don't care to. Sure I know the other things they've all done, like Yvonne in Star Trek and some sort of Elvis flick; Adam in Family Guy. That goes for the music as well. I love the music from the series, but have never heard to my knowledge say, Nelson Riddle with Linda Ronstadt. Nor have I heard anything other than the Odd Couple by Neal Hefti. None of his Count Basie stuff, nothing.

As far as that goes, I'm not a fan of any of the stars of the series. The occassional popping up in this and that has surprised me over the years (Gorshin's 12 Monkeys) but I have never searched out any of their names to see what they're doing. My favorite actor? Don't have one.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
High C

Post by High C »

wally wingert wrote:
Progress Pigment wrote:They are celebrating the heyday of the series, not the decline.
Well, if you don't mind me saying so...that's just silly. The series as a whole is being celebrated, not specific eras. If what you say is true, they wouldn't have even bothered putting the second or third seasons on the set at all. I feel the series started its decline with the Archer episode at the top of season 2.

The only times you'll see a "heyday" of a TV series celebrated is when they do a "Best Of" set. But since this is the COMPLETE set, they're clearly acknowledging the entire series and not just a specific time when ratings were good. And thus I feel the omission of other Bat participants from the set was woefully remiss.
Spot-on, Wally. Well-said.

And I certainly am not the biggest fan of Yvonne's performance as Batgirl, as I've made clear here many times. Still, I'm extremely disappointed that she isn't included in any of the extras. She's the reason there was a third season, which made syndication possible. If not for her, those of us born after say, 1960, might never have seen the show, including the great season 1.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Dark Detective

Post by Dark Detective »

I could certainly do without the round table. They could have done past and present batman writers and artists discussing batman. I agree, I feel that Burt Ward was left out and too much focus was on Adam.

John
Bat Username

Post by Bat Username »

My feeling is that there's no such thing as "too much Adam West", particularly when it comes to discussing Batman. That said, I do agree Burt and Julie should've received far more attention in the extras and there's simply no excuse for excluding Yvonne.

When it comes to extras for classic releases like this, I think the first priority should always be to preserve as much of the original cast and crew's recollections as possible. The failure to have any of these actors record audio commentaries was one of the biggest missed opportunities, imo. I actually think they should just record their own and sell them via their websites. (Much like Adam did with his video commentary.) I don't know about Burt, but Adam, Julie, and Yvonne all seem to maintain a pretty good online presence for their fans.
Bat Tom

Post by Bat Tom »

I really think that they had a budget for the extras and Adam asked for a fee that was larger then they expected. The studio knew they needed Adam for the extras so they had to pay him what he asked for and that ended up reducing Burt's and Julie's involvement and probably eliminated Yvonne from the extras.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Bat Username wrote:My feeling is that there's no such thing as "too much Adam West", particularly when it comes to discussing Batman.
Ok, you're entitled to your opinion, but I think even Adam himself would disagree with that statement.
Bat Username wrote:She's the reason there was a third season, which made syndication possible.
Huh???? The Munsters only ran two seasons and it's main life was in syndication. The Addams Family as well. How about Car 54, where are you? Or what about Twin Peaks? ;) ;) ;)

John
Music. BAT! Music.